Turn on thread page Beta

OCR (MEI) Mathematics C3 20/01/2010 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How did you find the paper?
    Easy
    19.12%
    OK-ish
    41.18%
    Hard
    36.76%
    I'm not sure/ i didnt take the exam/ ?
    2.94%

ReputationRep:
    Revision thread for this exam, i reckon probably the hardest board to sit C3 on, so i just thought we could share tips for this exam, good luck to every1, also this thread is for requesting past papers for this examination. GL to all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najeezy)
    Revision thread for this exam, i reckon probably the hardest board to sit C3 on, so i just thought we could share tips for this exam, good luck to every1, also this thread is for requesting past papers for this examination. GL to all.
    Hey,

I do the normal OCR (not MEI) and i've seen some year papers which were much tougher than the MEI.

It all depends on the paper/year, the bold can not be concluded.

Hence, why we have grade boundaries.

Nevertheless, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea. I am doing this exam too!

ReputationRep:
    bump, can any1 post all identities and rules involved with c3, e.g trigonemtric identites, exponential rules, ln + e all those rules, would be great, +ve rep thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I'm doing it. Not looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    sin (squared) x + cos (squared) x = 1
    3 rules of logs ( log3 + log 2 = log 6, log 3 - log 2 = log 3/2 AND log 2 ^3 = 3log2)
    ummm I don't remember any others ! ( i tried though)

And apparently OCR mei is harder - we do stuff in it that isn't in normal OCR papers until FP1 (apparently) and the C3 and 4 are almost the other way round. Good luck guys! only 3 days left!

ReputationRep:
    Omfg I Am Not Ready.

ReputationRep:
    i dunno if you count these as identities but:

ln(e) = 1 so so ln(e^a) = aln(e) = a

and e^ln = 1 so e^ln(a) = ae^ln = a

ReputationRep:
    look on the specification on the ocr website for the identities. most are just rearrangements of the trig. found in the equations booklet given to you.

ReputationRep:
    ARHHH! i dont think I'm ready.... wish i just had a few more days.

Good luck people!. Im goign to be doing the exam too! the only advise i can think of it make sure your calculator is in the right mode ( rad/degree)
    Good luck x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Should be okay. I've got this and then FP1 straight afterwards.

I don't know what everybody is freaking out about in terms of remembering identitites. There's like 2 trig identitiesy ou need to know I think? And those are from C2. Double angle formulae and all that stuff is C4.

ReputationRep:
    Really need to do well on this, this will be my 3rd maths exam in 10 days

C3 - only bits I'm a bit confuzzled on are: how can you tell which rule to use (differentiation and integration) and secondly, can someone do a worked example of integration by parts please?

ReputationRep:
    The easiest of the 5 im sitting in my opinion, but then again I do really love maths (especially pure) :p:- im aiming for 90%+ as I really want that A* in maths - Good luck with it all Im sure you guys will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, why is everyone freaked over a Core 3 exam?

cos^2 x + sin^2 x = 1? easy stuff lol

this exam is going to be pi () and with FP1 straight after these are my easiest exams this jan. (out of 13 lol)

not to alarm anyone but perhaps u should look at the trig. chapter on c4 (just done the paper this jan. was a piece of pi**); there's a few more trig. identities there for everyone

Anyway best of luck 2 everyone for tomorrow; and hopefully with this exam i shall secure 90%+ and get the A* by march for maths.

craig
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mcl)
    why would people look at c4 before we are doing c3.... just because you know it, i don't know if you realise but nobody cares

i hope your post makes you feel better, or reassure yourself, i doubt you're really that clever anyway

Well said. Saying that, be easy on him because he's obviously socially inept.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah good luck peeps tomorrow. Think this one should go well hopefully, it's just D1 on Monday that I'm a bit anxious about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HpFreak_Amy7192)
    Really need to do well on this, this will be my 3rd maths exam in 10 days

C3 - only bits I'm a bit confuzzled on are: how can you tell which rule to use (differentiation and integration) and secondly, can someone do a worked example of integration by parts please?
    Right one of my maths teachers said the most clarifying thing about this yesterday, I'll try and say it here:

Intergration by parts is used when what you have to intergrate has no relation to eachother like xE^x - (x e to the x) because there is no way you can make an exponential function to a linear one.
    Whereas, with subsitution you can do that because if it's sinx/cosx they are related and can be changed into eachother. Does that make sense?

Differentiation - chain rule is a function of a function like (x+2)^1/2
    so something outside doing something to the thing inside the bracket

Product rule - function times function - when you can actually go "write down 1st differentate second, plus write down second differentiate first.

Quotient when there is division.

And for the worked example of intergration by parts this website is sex on legs

www.mathcentre.ac.uk

Hope it helped and sort of made sense :P Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    How was it? Easy? Tricky?

Thoughts?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    im not sure at the moment , all my friends found it hard , i have all my awnsers on paper , ill type them up in a moment.

ReputationRep:
    hard, disgustingly!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.