Turn on thread page Beta

OCR (MEI) Mathematics C3 20/01/2010 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the paper?
    Easy
    19.12%
    OK-ish
    41.18%
    Hard
    36.76%
    I'm not sure/ i didnt take the exam/ ?
    2.94%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12345)
    you should only loose one mark....i did the same butt i left it as pi/6 nd forgott aboutt the 1/3:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    lol right pair arent we? yeah hopefully only the 1 mark lost because the rest was correct, just poor multiplication

ReputationRep:
    Paper was alright except for the proofs

ReputationRep:
    the x^2 + y^2 =1 was easy because it was just cos squared + sin squared =1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich-1991)
    Damn I completely forgot about that

Sometimes the simple questions are harder. I look for more complicated answers than there actually are.

ReputationRep:
    lol right pair arent we? yeah hopefully only the 1 mark lost because the rest was correct, just poor multiplication

Lol..We are..Damm such St***d mistakess alwayss makess me loose marks =(.

Hoefully wontt be too costlyy lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I honestly don't understand how people found that hard. It was sooo much better than all of the past papers I've done, and aside from a few minor mistakes (and a totally blonde moment on q4 - the integration one), I thought it was a lovely paper.
    Although I would never describe a maths paper as lovely, I do concur with what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    Was that the answer then? Because that's what I did eventually

ReputationRep:
    u know the proof question, with the x^2 + y^2= 1
    did anyone else use a right angled triangle and solve it like that?
    I flopped the f''(x) question completely and the first one, I stupidly wrote answers of ln 0 and ln 5..
    Will they ignore the ln 0?
    Doubt it, but yeah.. that was soooo unexpectedly hard, and i revised so much for it!!
    So much for an A*.. I doubt I'll even get an A..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schismist)
    Does it matter that i used 30 instead of pi/6 ? I did the whole question in degrees as I wasn't sure, and there was no indication either way (to my knowledge and I looked)
    Damn I did that too! Oh well! They should have specified really! lol stupid exam board!

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please explain the x^2 + y^2 =1 question?
    I wrote down cos^2Ө + sin^2Ө = 1
    and attempted a bit of working but i didnt understand it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidrah)
    I flopped the f''(x) question completely and the first one, I stupidly wrote answers of ln 0 and ln 5..
    Doubt it, but yeah.. that was soooo unexpectedly hard, and i revised so much for it!!
    I was in the process of doing that but then the exam ended.... hopefully I'll get some marks for drawing a nice triangle :p:

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think it has to be radians, but you will still get some marks as it isnt wrong, just incorrect notation
    Shoot, I've just rechecked and I would've got the right answer. Hopefully that only 2 marks from that 7 mark question, but then there's the coordinates of P and Q and the gradient that were all wrong. I hope they have contingency (like ecf) in the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    dontcha mean ln1?

:rolleyes:

Don't beat urself up, you cant revise for maths anyway and im sure you have a comfy UMS cushion from C1 and C2

You ll get in to cambridge, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did that, I used Pythagoras and then somehow ended up with sin2x+cos2x=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I was in the process of doing that but then the exam ended.... hopefully I'll get some marks for drawing a nice triangle :p:
    Maybe if you wrote x, y and 1 on the sides, that ought to have gotten one mark maybe.. but I don't even know if it was right.. :/
    made sense tho.. and i did equate it all..
    idk I hated this paper soooo much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rick4236)
    Yes I did that, I used Pythagoras and then somehow ended up with sin2x+cos2x=1
    I was just resolving the angles.. lol and then just ended up reinforcing the statement lol.. they might feel pity on me and give me some marks lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12345)
    Lol..We are..Damm such St***d mistakess alwayss makess me loose marks =(.

Hoefully wontt be too costlyy lol
    Same =(

BTW, why have you starred out what I guess was orignally "stupid"? You realise they are now STD mistakes!!! Much, much worse :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I was just resolving the angles.. lol and then just ended up reinforcing the statement lol.. they might feel pity on me and give me some marks lol
    I'm sure they will! I don't know why but I had some serious issues with the final part of the past question. I just couldn't find g(x)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiloooo)
    Could someone please explain the x^2 + y^2 =1 question?
    I wrote down cos^2Ө + sin^2Ө = 1
    and attempted a bit of working but i didnt understand it
    I should really use Latex but cba.

arccosy=arccosx

arccosx=theta therefore cos(theta)=x and hence [cos(theta)]^2=x^2

arccosy=arccosx=theta

same process for arccosy as before.

Use trig identity etc. Therefore x^2+y^=1

Because it was a proof, I'm not 100% this is an acceptable method (i.e simply claiming trig identity to be true without proof.) In saying that, it was 3 marks so they couldn't have expected much.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it was definitely between O and P cos i remember the question. what did everyone get as co-ords of P? i got pi/6, dunno if thats correct
    dunno if im right or not ( because i think u have done TERRIBLE on this paper even tho i could do OK on all the past papers ) but i think the question was asking 4 P and Q, O was the origin. when making y =xcos3x = 0, either x or cos3x must equal 0, so x=0 is o (or the origin) then i think i got Pi/2 for P and 3Pi/2 for Q xx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.