Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think i need to know this from some independent people.
    Now i know ive had some very very minor health problems.
    The university are constantly on my back and recently i didnt pass - by one mark one exam (The one i always pass and got a Merit in the one i always fail :confused: ). Ive just passed my end of rotation assessments though.

But last term i had meetings with endless people, appointments with a million and one different doctors/consultants, occy health etc. Im seriously just getting tired of it all. Thing is though i really enjoy medicine (poss with the exception of health economics/interventions etc) but now theres talk of fitness to practice yet again. After yet another meeting.

I think im getting tired of fighting and its seriously getting me down now - i think what i really want to know is when would people give up, throw the towel in and leave medicine?? If you found yourself in a situation like this??

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, no. It seems they're making much ado about nothing. In addition, you would not be quitting for the right reasons. It's not you want to quit medicine - more that you want to stop having to put up with the fuss if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

Sympathies, but hang in there. You say you're really enjoying medicine and clinics therefore I'd keep fighting if it were me. I know it's a hassle with FtP (I've also been threatened with it for minor health problems), and seeing 101 different people (also experience of that!) but I think it's worth it to be a doctor at the end of it all.
    I'd only throw in the towel if I actually failed the fitness to practice, and even then I'd probably kick up a bit of a fuss, not walk away immediately.

Hope things work out for you

ReputationRep:
    No wonder its getting you all down

You say you enjoy medicine, so if you throw in the towel, might you not look back in the future and regret it? I take it you've already called on the bma etc for help?

ReputationRep:
    How much longer do you have left hun? And what support do you currently have?

ReputationRep:
    Hang in there, girl. You still love the medicine, that's the big bit. The med school being **** - well that's their ******* problem. You know you can damn well do the job at the end of the day, and one teeny weeny fail ain't gonna change that.

I'd keeping ploughing on. There's only so much they can throw at you before they have to just admit that they haven't got anything on you. :hugs: You can do it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - i dont have much support from the uni i have had to fight for it alot.
    I have 2 and a bit years left so i really cant cope with all of this for all of that time - i think i would loose it.
    I have called the BMA and the student representative but i think i need to go and talk to them again - desperately.
    I didnt plan for things being so difficult and i definately didnt plan on being ill - thats whats getting me the most. Im being made to feel like this is all of my fault and all i want to do is be a bloody doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Thanks - i dont have much support from the uni i have had to fight for it alot.
    I have 2 and a bit years left so i really cant cope with all of this for all of that time - i think i would loose it.
    I have called the BMA and the student representative but i think i need to go and talk to them again - desperately.
    I didnt plan for things being so difficult and i definitely didnt plan on being ill - thats whats getting me the most. Im being made to feel like this is all of my fault and all i want to do is be a bloody doctor.
    Have you tried the grown up BMJ as well as the student rep's side? Or a medical legal thingy - MPS/MDU? If it's getting to FtP I'm sure that's part of their remit. What about independant liason type bodies within the uni? Surely they have to appoint somebody to help your side?

ReputationRep:
    I'd give up only if I really hated the course and didnt think i could carry on passing exams if I stayed.. and that would be after talking to quite a few people at the medical school.

For financial reasons I'd have to have a really good reason to quit to be honest. I'm in so much debt I pretty much have no choice but to at least leave with some sort of qualification even if I didnt practise as a doctor.

I'm sorry your uni are being so rubbish. Don't you have some sort of pastoral support that is confidential? Someone who could just give you advice..?

ReputationRep:
    I have already got the grown up BMA involved :-)

I have just had a letter which says some sort of fitness to practice has been started on me - which i didnt know about. But im definately going to go and find out about.
    I think i have a slightly more positive stance on things now - after recent personal events in my life i think i have decided life is whay too short and i never know whats going to be around the corner - so im giving it my all.

Unfortunately theres no confidential pastoral support avaliable on the account of - if you mention something that i deem to be remotely related to a fitness to practice issue - linked in any kind of way what so ever - we will screw you over!!

ReputationRep:
    The only time I think I would give up due to health related issues would be if I was physically to disabled to reasonably handle the course anymore. I have a lot of poor health over the years, and my first year here has hardly been graced with good health either, but it wouldn't stop me, not so long as I'm still able to continue.

I think you need to really consider how you would feel if you dropped out, would you live to regret the decision? Really all you can do is keep at it.

Just wondering, do you know what happens if you are judged no longer fit to practice? Do you have to leave the course..?

ReputationRep:
    Just hang in there, find someone you respect and chat with them to let steam off. Dont let the pressure mount its your career no one else's. You have come so far you'd definately regret quitting. Good luck keep us all updated.

ReputationRep:
    Round 2 or 3 i forget - wish me luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Round 2 or 3 i forget - wish me luck!!
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    When I found an appealing job?

ReputationRep:
    What the heck fairy, this is ridiculous. How is it still going on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    What the heck fairy, this is ridiculous. How is it still going on?

Yeah i think its going to be going on forever to be honest. Back to the stupid consultant i go next week. I really dont like him and i prefer the one at home. I actually have to stop myself saying anything bad when i go and see him.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why you've been getting such a hard time from your school. It is, as Phil says, ******* ridiculous. Can't they just let people get on with getting on?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think its going to be going on forever to be honest. Back to the stupid consultant i go next week. I really dont like him and i prefer the one at home. I actually have to stop myself saying anything bad when i go and see him.
    If they want to get pissy, I'd be pissy straight back and inform them that in any other walk of life I would consider this harassmet - and take legal advice accordingly. That shold shut them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    If they want to get pissy, I'd be pissy straight back and inform them that in any other walk of life I would consider this harassmet - and take legal advice accordingly. That shold shut them up.

Didnt think about that DDA and everything - thanks.
    Ive got the BMA in aswell.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.