Turn on thread page Beta

Temporary Withdrawal watch

    • Thread Starter


    I'm just looking for anyone else who might have taken temporary withdrawal from their university course. I'm looking to do this soon, due to health issues etc. that are preventing from me from being able to attend and carry out my course well.

    The information i've got regarding finances is:

    Your LEA funding is separate and in addition to your tuition fees (3.5k) and student loan (maintenance loan)

    Whatever you do you will:

    - always be offered a student loan/maintenance loan for periods when you are in attendance here (but not while off on temporary withdrawal)

    - pay tuition fees (3.5k p/a) for the number of weeks in attendance (so more if you twd) for which a loan will always be available.

    - any scholarships/bursaries will continue as normal.

    The uncertainty is over an additional fee that your local education authority (county council) pay direct to the university. they pay for the duration of your course plus one year and so would normally not pay for one year of your study if you twd now. Off the top of my head this is around £1500 and no loan is available for this: you would have to find the money.

    You may be able to negotiate with them about this - and will likely have more success if the repeat time is due to health or other exceptional reasons but I think it is you who have to take this up with them.

    Does anyone have experience with dealing with the LEA? I've been told that they may charge me an extra 1500 approx. pounds for the final year if I come back this summer to start my three year degree again from scratch. Is this true? And is it possible to appeal this due to the health issues?

    Many thanks for any help people can offer!
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.