Turn on thread page Beta

Tell me why you work / go to College? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    I realise I can live/survive with the bare basics, but is that also what life is about? to get the bare minimum?

I don't want to lead a spartan life.

The suggestions from the 'don't work' crew is so far very hobo-like.

I like the internet, it wouldn#t have been made possible if people were "we are content as we are"
    I agree it is quite hobo like but then again the "dont work" crew aren't content with the materialistic society we (the western we) have now and wish to change it.

For me (and I wouldn't say I was part of the "dont work" crew particularly) life should be about more than spending 40 hours a week typing on a machine so that I can buy a piece of material that costs me 1/3rd of my monthly wage because it's got someone else's name on the tag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Life is about living how you want to. If your the kind of person who doesnt need luxuries... then getting the most out of life is just a whole lot easier. I love my life
    BECAUSE you are a product of people HAVING done their work, so you can 'afford' to be a lazy workshy bum sponging off the efforts of others.

try saying the same thing if we weren't as developed.

go to somewhere remote like parts of indian, africa and tell me how much you enjoy life there

when you have to spend HOURS just to get one meal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    I agree it is quite hobo like but then again the "dont work" crew aren't content with the materialistic society we (the western we) have now and wish to change it.

For me (and I wouldn't say I was part of the "dont work" crew particularly) life should be about more than spending 40 hours a week typing on a machine so that I can buy a piece of material that costs me 1/3rd of my monthly wage because it's got someone else's name on the tag.
    refer to my earlier post just above.

if the office wasn't there, you would have to haul your ass to get some meat/veggies.

you would've have had to work otherwise.

whilst I do agree, there is wasteful spending like designer clothes it's not exactly idealistic to not work as the hobo's are making it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Because I couldn't enjoy life without an abudance of money. Sad but true.

ReputationRep:
    People work to live, need to keep selves busy I mean people moan when they are "bored" in the holidays, I don't personally but know a lot who do, so we'd all be bored...
    but sometimes I would just like to go live in a cave and live how we used to, like a caveman :P bit like the film, into the wild, but i'd never have the guts to do it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a case of get rich or die tryin'

ReputationRep:
    BECAUSE you are a product of people HAVING done their work, so you can 'afford' to be a lazy workshy bum sponging off the efforts of others.

try saying the same thing if we weren't as developed.

go to somewhere remote like parts of indian, africa and tell me how much you enjoy life there

when you have to spend HOURS just to get one meal
    Haha... living on nothing is not something you need to be able to 'afford' to do.. Plus you make it sound like I lie around all day doing nothing which is so far from the truth its rediculous. I do work, most days, I just do what I want, when I want, and i dont get money from it.

silly theoretical arguments are meaningless... we are developed, and im not in remote india. Im in a british city.. surrounded by empty buildings, sofas left on streets and thrown away food.. the waste of capitalism. All we do it use it... like recycling :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    refer to my earlier post just above.

if the office wasn't there, you would have to haul your ass to get some meat/veggies.

you would've have had to work otherwise.

whilst I do agree, there is wasteful spending like designer clothes it's not exactly idealistic to not work as the hobo's are making it out to be.
    I think for me that's the point though really, the people in Devon I talked about in my first post grew their own veg and worked in that respect. The kind of life that is self-sufficient rather than hobo. That's the kind of life that idealistically I'd prefer. The gap between me and my food seems ridiculous when I think about it, I type into a computer so I can buy rice from a paddy field in Indonesia.

ReputationRep:
    to add:

as we've moved to more developed countries, we haven't changed as humans as much as you'd think

refering to my earlier tribe comment;

it's still the same, you go to college to learn a skill , before you would've had life skills like hunting/farmer taught to you

we don't need to learn how to hunt/kill/cook an animal because someone else has done it for us, so we can afford to do what we like to do, even if that is 'work'

you just replace going out into the forest with working in an office, you can never really truly escape 'life = work' unless you

A - born rich like say paris hilton
    B - life like a hobo which means usually scrounging off the work of others who aren't always your rents.

The other side argument of the 'why work' crowd is flawed, if anything you should say;

Why do we work longer hours than other countries?
    Why do we not have as many holidays, etc ...

rather than "why work"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Haha... living on nothing is not something you need to be able to 'afford' to do.. Plus you make it sound like I lie around all day doing nothing which is so far from the truth its rediculous. I do work, most days, I just do what I want, when I want, and i dont get money from it.

silly theoretical arguments are meaningless... we are developed, and im not in remote india. Im in a british city.. surrounded by empty buildings, sofas left on streets and thrown away food.. the waste of capitalism. All we do it use it... like recycling :rolleyes:
    you are missing my point.

The majority couldn't live like you. Because where would the 'waste' come from?

We work as we don't wish to live a life like a hobo like you.

ReputationRep:
    you are missing my point.

The majority couldn't live like you. Because where would the 'waste' come from?

We work as we don't wish to live a life like a hobo like you.
    True, the majority can't live the way I do. But they dont want to, so I dont see a problem.

If the majority started to shift towards unemployment, then we would expand our efforts to provide for larger communities, with less focus on reusing waste and more on creating things ourselves. I cant see this happenning anytime soon though...

ReputationRep:
    Why do I work? To exchange skills and time of my own for skills and time of someone else. Ie, I can pull pints behind the bar, and someone else can provide me with petrol for the car; money just facilitates the transfer of these resources. I get the benefit of their skills and they get the benefit of mine. Efficient utilisation of the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Your self-indulgent lifestyle is only possible because other people actually bother to get off their ass and do some paid work. You are merely being carried along by the efforts of others in society. In an ideal world, the rewards of labour would only be shared among those who do some kind of work; they would not be leaked to some parasite like you. Do not disillusion yourself- the so-called "work" you do is meaningless if other people are still paying for your meals and accomodation and internet access.

Thank you.

Exactly what I have been saying

IF the world turned out to be more like he wants, than it currently is, he would be the one to lose out.

if anything he should say - capitalism yaaay !!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni for the LoLs, and so I don't have to get a job for another 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    im sorry to hear about your friend.

that thought has actually crossed my mind quite a few times. We do it because we want to make something out of ourselves, we are constantly striving for goals and the sad truth is that we don't achieve most of them.

In terms of labour: well, society needs to function somehow. but the individual benefits of labour are very limited, apart from a salary which one can never enjoy because we are so busy working.

ReputationRep:
    I like learning. Sure, it can be stressful at times, but nothing beats the feeling of working hard and doing really well.

OP, I'm sorry to hear about your friend :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Your self-indulgent lifestyle is only possible because other people actually bother to get off their ass and do some paid work. You are merely being carried along by the efforts of others in society. In an ideal world, the rewards of labour would only be shared among those who do some kind of work; they would not be leaked to some parasite like you. Do not disillusion yourself- the so-called "work" you do is meaningless if other people are still paying for your meals and accomodation and internet access.
    You have no idea...

Most of the food I eat would otherwise go to landfill. Nobody pays for my meals. If we didnt live where we live.. it would be abandoned and eventually rot. Its a grade II listed building, all we're doing is improving it. We are living from the waste. We'd absolutely love shops to stop throwing away food, and for buildings to always be occupied... If this happened we'd most likely live in communes or housing co-operatives and it would be lovely.... but while there is waste, people will try and use as much of it as we can!

We're not doing it cause its easy, or fun, or because we cant be bothered working... Its not easy, not always fun and we work hard... We do it because we disagree with the wastefulness, consumerism, alienation and environmental destruction of capitalist society.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

Exactly what I have been saying

IF the world turned out to be more like he wants, than it currently is, he would be the one to lose out.

if anything he should say - capitalism yaaay !!
    If things go the way I want... then fantastic. I wouldnt lose out because communities would support each other, and food and shelter would be a basic right.

haha.. it always makes me laugh how gender stereotypes are so prevelant. What gives you the right to assume im male?

ReputationRep:
    I am starting to honestly wonder why on earth I do tbh. I could be ''happy'' living a life without a good career.

ReputationRep:
    so i can be succesful and make something of myself and not have a nervous breakdown when i'm 40 where i'll be like 'WHYYYYYYYY MEEEEEEE, 40 YEARS OLD AND NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT, WHY O WHY'

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.