Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tell me why you work / go to College? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by /dev/null)
    I don't need to, it's all encapsulated in one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddaaN7WX6r8
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Because I want to have a successful career one day and raise a family without worrying about finances.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm doing my course because I enjoy learning the material covered in it.

ReputationRep:
    I went to university to study my subject and to meet new people. Its good that I got a qualification out of it but I would have gone anyway.

The idea of the same boring 9-5 job everyday until 65 scares me too.

The dream is to do well in my career and retire early or switch to working part-time and not have my job as the main thing in my life. Possibly with mini-retirements/sabbaticals in between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Oh god I'm so sorry. Really got the wrong end of the stick there! Sorry, from reading Adonis's posts I got the idea that you were on benefits. I was very confused as to why you were talking about the wasteful nature of capitalism, but just figured you were spraffing or something. You could have mentioned you were a freegan.

Well my three categories for people in the working population are that they should be:

*Currently in employment
    *Actively seeking employment
    *Otherwise getting access to their own resources

So yes, you are in the third category. I apologise for calling you a parasite.

However, I do find it the height of irony, though, that freeganism, the opposition to consumerism, can only thrive in a society where there is lots of consumerism. I hope you realise that if a freeganist society become dominant, your workload would increase greatly, as while a form of society will remain intact (humans will continue to remain social beings), you'd have to start farming and toiling to prepare each meal instead of simply recycling existing food, you'd probably lose access to the internet and any other eletronic luxuries and so on. So while I respect you for making use of resources that would otherwise go to waste and profit no-one, I just hope you realise the implications to your life of an increase in freeganism.
    He is looking to go on benefits http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post23338286. I think it is a bit hypocritical to sponge off the state when anarchists don't agree with having a government or authority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    I realise I can live/survive with the bare basics, but is that also what life is about? to get the bare minimum?

I don't want to lead a spartan life.

The suggestions from the 'don't work' crew is so far very hobo-like.

I like the internet, it wouldn#t have been made possible if people were "we are content as we are"
    This^^^

+rep tommorow.

Capitalism ftw.

Education, healthcare, technology and utilities > living in a cave with malnourishment, boredom and disease.

ReputationRep:
    Just No Dammit

ReputationRep:
    If nobody had a job, nobody would work.
    Imagine if everyone in your local shop decided they didn't want to work anymore. You wouldn't be able to get food, and if everyone stopped working there would be nobody producing food anyway.
    I think it's an excellent system we have going.

ReputationRep:
    I hate my job

ReputationRep:
    "Get leave to work / In this world, 'tis the best you get at all ..." Firstly, OP, I am so sorry for your loss. It does all seem rather pointless at times. For me, though, education/work is not labour. It is a process of - and this may sound rather odd - becoming genuinely acquainted with this world, working out your place in it, and, with the simultaneous pride and shame that comes with such an acquaintance, giving back to it something great and lasting. Read Middlemarch - it's bound to help.

ReputationRep:
    I go to university to better understand the physical nature of this incredible world - I've already learned so much in the space of a term, more than I feel I've learned in the past 7 years of secondary school.

I guess I go to university because I've found something I love to study, and I want to continue studying it.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm weak.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.