Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I receive an offer in the post from Queen Mary for Bio with Psych around Xmas. It doesn't specify what the offer is on the letter, but says to check track for the conditions.

When i applied, the course required 300 ucas points and C in Biology, and this is still what it states on their website and the UCAS website.

Today, i phoned up the uni with regards to my application, as they had not yet updated my track. This was due to an error which they were going to fix. When i was on the phone, the woman specified the conditions of my offer which were:

300 ucas points and an A in Biology! :eek3:

This is very surprising to me, as firstly the requirement on the website is only a C in biology, and secondly, i am only predicted a B in biology

What are the possible reasons for the uni to bump up my requirements?
    This is very annoying for me, as this was going to be my insurance offer.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've heard that there are more people than places applying for university, so they might have increased it to lower the amount of people being able to get in.

ReputationRep:
    i see what you mean, although wouldn't it make more sense to raise the requirements before people apply in the first place, as now i have essentially wasted one of my choices

ReputationRep:
    get an A then.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haggisman1)
    i see what you mean, although wouldn't it make more sense to raise the requirements before people apply in the first place, as now i have essentially wasted one of my choices

This happened to me last year. I applied to exeter to do buisness economics and the website said the typical offer was BBB. However, when my track update mid-feb, it informed me that i was rejected cos i failed to meet the entry requirements.
    I rang them up and the woman at the other end just said "oh, we've recieved so many applications this year, that just before the deadline [15th jan 2009], we decided to raise the entry requirements to 'kill off the competition' " :confused:

You would have thought that once something is on the website and everyone's applied, that they should have stuck with it?!?! What a waste eh.

But i really don't think there's alot you can do unfortunatly
    Luckily exeter wasn't my first choice. Is QMU your fav?

ReputationRep:
    Could be because there's alot of demand for the course, more applicants means they can alter the grade boundries and would still have enough people to enter the course. Unlucky. Work harder and get A in Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    This happened to me last year. I applied to exeter to do buisness economics and the website said the typical offer was BBB. However, when my track update mid-feb, it informed me that i was rejected cos i failed to meet the entry requirements.
    I rang them up and the woman at the other end just said "oh, we've recieved so many applications this year, that just before the deadline [15th jan 2009], we decided to raise the entry requirements to 'kill off the competition' " :confused:

You would have thought that once something is on the website and everyone's applied, that they should have stuck with it?!?! What a waste eh.

But i really don't think there's alot you can do unfortunatly
    Luckily exeter wasn't my first choice. Is QMU your fav?
    They're always a minimum requirement though. Getting BBB doesn't mean you'll get a place - if more applicants with ABB or AAB predicted apply, then they'll get the offers first (depending on other circumstances, obviously) - the grade requirements depend on the applicants, which they cannot predict in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    get an A then.........
    Well if myself and my teachers were confident that I would get an A in biology in the first place, then i would have applied for a better uni/course that required an A!! It just so happens that I am not, hence I applied for a seemingly easier course with apparantly lower requirements...

Anyway, Psychology at Kent is my first choice uni, but there was a strong chance that even if i got into Kent, i would have chosen to go to QMC, based on the particular course and their postgrad opportunities.

Also, they are phoning me tomorrow to clarify what the hell is going on with my offer so i shall keep you updated... if you are interested ofcourse haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    They're always a minimum requirement though. Getting BBB doesn't mean you'll get a place - if more applicants with ABB or AAB predicted apply, then they'll get the offers first (depending on other circumstances, obviously) - the grade requirements depend on the applicants, which they cannot predict in advance.
    I was predicted ABB.
    I'm not complaining that i didn't get in - couldn't care less tbh, i wouldn't have gone there anyway. Its just that the usual offer jumped from BBB in Sept to AAB in January. I was just saying that surely once everybody's applied, a uni should have stuck to the minimum offer that was stated in September, not in January when everybody had applied!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haggisman1)
    Well if myself and my teachers were confident that I would get an A in biology in the first place, then i would have applied for a better uni/course that required an A!! It just so happens that I am not, hence I applied for a seemingly easier course with apparantly lower requirements...
    i don't see the problem though, the offer is yours, predictions don't matter anymore once you've got the offer. Just work at the A

ReputationRep:
    According to Southampton (who were down as AAB with B in History, chanegd to A in history), unis often raise the offers after results day, thus rendering printed propectuses unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    QMUL gave me a strange offer too. Firstly, the site said 300 points so it was going to be my back up. Then today I got a letter saying 320 points from 3 A2s, with a B in geography which is kinda weird seeing as that's what I'm applying for and should probs need the A in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    i don't see the problem though, the offer is yours, predictions don't matter anymore once you've got the offer. Just work at the A
    the problem is that if they advertised on ucas/website that they wanted an A, then i wouldn't have applied for the uni in the first place. So for me, it feels as though one of my insurance choices has been wasted.

ReputationRep:
    * but i now understand that it is due to more applicants / fewer places available etc

ReputationRep:
    supply and demand,

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.