Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to these 3 universities in Scotland - Dundee, Aberdeen and Stirling to do a Joint Honors in Computer Science and Psychology, and I was wondering which one you think is the best?

I would like to visit them but it is a long distance from where I live (300+ miles). Can anyone tell me about the; night life, accommodation, course, lectures, the people, etc in these areas.

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen or Dundee, Aberdeen probably edges it.
    I'd be inclinded to pick Dundee though, good student life.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Aberdeen as a uni and for psychology but I think dundee is meant to be really good For comp science. Make what you will of that.

ReputationRep:
    dundee is amazing! love the place!

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I like Dundee. They have some crazy pubs there! (I was across the bridge at St Andrews).

ReputationRep:
    Out of those, Aberdeen is the only one I've researched in detail, so this will be biased, but Aberdeen! It's amazing! Beautiful place, great courses (I love the structure of the degree) and very underrated in the league tables - it's far better than its positioning would suggest, due to low average UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Out of those, Aberdeen is the only one I've researched in detail, so this will be biased, but Aberdeen! It's amazing! Beautiful place, great courses (I love the structure of the degree) and very underrated in the league tables - it's far better than its positioning would suggest, due to low average UCAS points.
    It's hardly low in the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Stirling get voted the times university of the year in Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    It's hardly low in the league tables.
    It's lower than it should be though.

ReputationRep:
    From Linconshire you can get there to visit fairly easily - you can get a direct train from York to both Aberdeen and Dundee so you'd just have to get there and Stirling isn't exactly far out of the way. You could easily visit all three in two days and if you booked in advance it wouldn't cost you too much at all From York I'd say its around 4 and a half hours to Dundee and about 5 and a half to Aberdeen.

It is certainly worth visiting somewhere before you decide to move there for four years

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it' is definitely worth visiting if at all possible.

They are all very much of a muchness really. Aberdeen will edge in terms of 'prestige', but that doesn't make it better. Which of the courses do you like more? Aberdeen and Dundee are cities, so have some element of a nightlife, although nothing compared to the likes of Glasgow's. Stirling isn't that far away from Glasgow and is situated in quite a pretty location.

ReputationRep:
    Stirling Brigade here.

Does it really matter which uni is the best? Just because it's high on league tables doesn't mean you're actually going to enjoy it.

Accommodation for halls is pretty basic, but very livable (it's the cheapest accommodation for students in Scotland) and has porter's at the front doors 24/7. Due to their size there's always some one to have a chat too or someone on your course who you can ask for help. Being a campus uni, it does mean that you can roll out of bed at 10 to 9 and make it to a 9am lecture, but you do have a wee bit more trouble getting into town - there's buses every ten minutes during week days from about half 8 until 6, then they get less frequent.

This also hinders night life a wee bit, which Stirling isn't the best for. In town there's two clubs which are within 5 minutes walking distance of each other, and more pubs than you can shake a stick at. Baker Street is basically just a street full of pubs. Getting into town for clubs opening isn't too hard (there's a bus that goes to the residences at about quart to 11 at night), but getting back can be a bit of a problem as the night buses can fill up pretty quickly and a taxi will cost you anything for £8 to £13.

I don't personally do the subjects you're applying for, but I know people who have done them. The guy who did computing in first year said it was all a bit basic and boring, but that can probably be said for most courses as they have to assume that you've never done anything to do with the subject before. Pyschology sounds like a good subject to do with lots of practicals, paid experiaments and videos during lectures - though there are reports you do on the experiaments have to be handed in pretty quickly so that's a little bit of a work load there.

The campus itself is lovely, a majority of the people I've met are brilliant and the town is big enough for you to get away for a few hours, but not so big that it's going to distract you.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try my best to answer them!

ReputationRep:
    Should have applied to Glasgow :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieisfab)
    Stirling Brigade here.

Does it really matter which uni is the best? Just because it's high on league tables doesn't mean you're actually going to enjoy it.

Accommodation for halls is pretty basic, but very livable (it's the cheapest accommodation for students in Scotland) and has porter's at the front doors 24/7. Due to their size there's always some one to have a chat too or someone on your course who you can ask for help. Being a campus uni, it does mean that you can roll out of bed at 10 to 9 and make it to a 9am lecture, but you do have a wee bit more trouble getting into town - there's buses every ten minutes during week days from about half 8 until 6, then they get less frequent.

This also hinders night life a wee bit, which Stirling isn't the best for. In town there's two clubs which are within 5 minutes walking distance of each other, and more pubs than you can shake a stick at. Baker Street is basically just a street full of pubs. Getting into town for clubs opening isn't too hard (there's a bus that goes to the residences at about quart to 11 at night), but getting back can be a bit of a problem as the night buses can fill up pretty quickly and a taxi will cost you anything for £8 to £13.

I don't personally do the subjects you're applying for, but I know people who have done them. The guy who did computing in first year said it was all a bit basic and boring, but that can probably be said for most courses as they have to assume that you've never done anything to do with the subject before. Pyschology sounds like a good subject to do with lots of practicals, paid experiaments and videos during lectures - though there are reports you do on the experiaments have to be handed in pretty quickly so that's a little bit of a work load there.

The campus itself is lovely, a majority of the people I've met are brilliant and the town is big enough for you to get away for a few hours, but not so big that it's going to distract you.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try my best to answer them!
    I´ve just read your post and I was wondering if you could tell me some things about Stirling!? I have an offer for English Studies & History and I might put it as my firm choice. Can´t visit as I am living a bit far away... =) What kind of a reputation has Stirling? Whats the town like? I am not a big party-clubs-nightlife person but I certainly need some cafés, things to do, shopping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenima)
    I´ve just read your post and I was wondering if you could tell me some things about Stirling!? I have an offer for English Studies & History and I might put it as my firm choice. Can´t visit as I am living a bit far away... =) What kind of a reputation has Stirling? Whats the town like? I am not a big party-clubs-nightlife person but I certainly need some cafés, things to do, shopping
    While Stirling is certainly not the highest on any academic league tables, I think it more than makes up for it with it's actual campus, sports facilities and just being generally quite nice. It's a campus uni, so it's on masses of land with lots of grass, trees, a loch, a castle and a massive sports centre - there's also lots of ducks and rabbits which means you can see a lot of baby animals from this time of year until summer.

I can't really tell you very much about the actual English and History courses - I've done nether and never really spoken to anyone who has done them. The general consensus on teaching here is as long as you get someone who actually enjoys the subject (and speaks relativly good English) then you will do quite well and also enjoy the subject. I had to do a law module in my first semester and absolutely loved it because the lecturer was really into the subject and transfered that to us, whereas the second semester module was rubbish because the lecturer was just so boring. It's all very hit and miss.

The uni itself is a bit 70s style - all "modern" from that time, but a bit dated now. Though the main social building, The Atrium has been updated quite recently and has a pub/bar, a small nightclub and a Starbucks coffee on the lower floor. There's also a small cafe in the Atrium, but I've never been in.

Town is only ten minutes away from the uni on the bus. It has the Thistle's shopping centre which has most of the normal high street shops (except a H&M), plus a small shopping street just outside. There are a million and one places to eat and drink in Stirling - if you go away from the new town and into the old Castle area especially there are a few cafes, but watch out for tourist prices.

There's two night clubs in town, more clubs than you can shake a finger at and one night club just outside the uni. So even though you don't fancy the big party lifestyle, it is there if you want to partake.

If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to try and find the answers for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieisfab)
    While Stirling is certainly not the highest on any academic league tables, I think it more than makes up for it with it's actual campus, sports facilities and just being generally quite nice. It's a campus uni, so it's on masses of land with lots of grass, trees, a loch, a castle and a massive sports centre - there's also lots of ducks and rabbits which means you can see a lot of baby animals from this time of year until summer.

I can't really tell you very much about the actual English and History courses - I've done nether and never really spoken to anyone who has done them. The general consensus on teaching here is as long as you get someone who actually enjoys the subject (and speaks relativly good English) then you will do quite well and also enjoy the subject. I had to do a law module in my first semester and absolutely loved it because the lecturer was really into the subject and transfered that to us, whereas the second semester module was rubbish because the lecturer was just so boring. It's all very hit and miss.

The uni itself is a bit 70s style - all "modern" from that time, but a bit dated now. Though the main social building, The Atrium has been updated quite recently and has a pub/bar, a small nightclub and a Starbucks coffee on the lower floor. There's also a small cafe in the Atrium, but I've never been in.

Town is only ten minutes away from the uni on the bus. It has the Thistle's shopping centre which has most of the normal high street shops (except a H&M), plus a small shopping street just outside. There are a million and one places to eat and drink in Stirling - if you go away from the new town and into the old Castle area especially there are a few cafes, but watch out for tourist prices.

There's two night clubs in town, more clubs than you can shake a finger at and one night club just outside the uni. So even though you don't fancy the big party lifestyle, it is there if you want to partake.

If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to try and find the answers for you
    Aww, the ducks-and-baby-rabbits-bit sounds amazing! Definitely a point to take into consideration when choosing a university :p: Your description of the place sounds quite nice, I thought Stirling would be a much smaller town, like a few shops and nothing much to do really. I will regularly use the shopping center to blow my budget... talking about money how expensive is it to live there? I´ve been in several parts of Britain quite often (the South, North Wales, London) so I´m quite familiar with costs for food there (tesco, sainsburys, asda... ) but never been to Scotland. And whats the campus accomodation like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenima)
    Aww, the ducks-and-baby-rabbits-bit sounds amazing! Definitely a point to take into consideration when choosing a university :p: Your description of the place sounds quite nice, I thought Stirling would be a much smaller town, like a few shops and nothing much to do really. I will regularly use the shopping center to blow my budget... talking about money how expensive is it to live there? I´ve been in several parts of Britain quite often (the South, North Wales, London) so I´m quite familiar with costs for food there (tesco, sainsburys, asda... ) but never been to Scotland. And whats the campus accomodation like?
    Size wise, it's certainly no Edinburgh or Glasgow. You can walk from the uni to the shopping centre (which I class as the edge of town) in about 45 minutes to an hour. It is technically a city (smallest city in Scotland), but only just.

The university's accommodation is apparently the cheapest in Scotland - I'm not sure if this is still true. The price for the 38 week let of the most expensive halls (ASH) this year was £3,500 and the cheapest halls were £2,300 - you don't have to leave at Christmas or holidays and this covers all your electricity, heating, etc from the day you move in (roughly the 12th of September) until you leave (roughly the 30th of May). The only extra you have to pay is for your internet which is currently £25 for a semester, so £50 for the 38 weeks.

Travel is pretty cheap as well if you're just hopping on the bus into town for shopping or food. If you shop your student card you can get an 80p single fare or a £1.30 return, which compared to the standard £1.90 single is pretty cheap.

If you were to go for private accommodation, it's not as cheap to live, but still a lot cheaper than Glasgow or Edinburgh. A two bedroom flat normally costs about £350 - £400 a month, though obviously there will be some which are cheap and some much more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    H&M is opening in Stirling within a year! Just to let you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetnesspink)
    H&M is opening in Stirling within a year! Just to let you know
    Finally! Just a rumour, or did you hear this from a good source?

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.