The Student Room Group

Question about how they work out scores

Say, for example, out of 75, you scored 47, but the paper was really easy or really hard.

When they work out your score out of 100, do they just x by 1.333? How do they get your score to reflect how hard/easy the exam was?

Do they upgrade or downgrade from 47 to give you a more realistic score and then give it out of 100?

I dont know what the fuss is about grade boundaries for individual exams because they make no difference to the overall UMS boundaries which are always 360, 420, 480 etc.
Reply 1
sean kefw
Say, for example, out of 75, you scored 47, but the paper was really easy or really hard.

When they work out your score out of 100, do they just x by 1.333? How do they get your score to reflect how hard/easy the exam was?

Do they upgrade or downgrade from 47 to give you a more realistic score and then give it out of 100?

I dont know what the fuss is about grade boundaries for individual exams because they make no difference to the overall UMS boundaries which are always 360, 420, 480 etc.

There are 2 sets of grade boundaries - the RAW and the UMS.

The UMS never change, the RAW changes to reflect the exam.

The RAW boundaries equate to the UMS boundaries.

So they could set any RAW mark out of 75 to be the A grade boundary and that would equal 80% of the UMS - 80/100 which the A grade boundary on the UMS.

The A and E boundaries are judged by the awarding commitee after all papers have been marked. The other boundaries are evenly distributed in between.
Reply 2
TheEd
There are 2 sets of grade boundaries - the RAW and the UMS.

The UMS never change, the RAW changes to reflect the exam.

The RAW boundaries equate to the UMS boundaries.

So they could set any RAW mark out of 75 to be the A grade boundary and that would equal 80% of the UMS - 80/100 which the A grade boundary on the UMS.

The A and E boundaries are judged by the awarding commitee after all papers have been marked. The other boundaries are evenly distributed in between.

Thanks for the reply but it hasn't made it any clearer. I know there are two sets of scores, but i'm asking how do they change (if they do) the RAW scores to reflect how hard the exam was?

Not bothered about Grades on the individual papers, just how they convert RAW marks to UMS depending on the nature of the exam
Reply 3
i think that if the exam is hard then they convert accordingly. E.g : - 60/75 will = 80UMS on easy paper.

on hard paper 57/75 = 80 UMS. Or atleast thats what i heard. Would be happy if someone could confirm.
Reply 4
sean kefw
Thanks for the reply but it hasn't made it any clearer. I know there are two sets of scores, but i'm asking how do they change (if they do) the RAW scores to reflect how hard the exam was?

Not bothered about Grades on the individual papers, just how they convert RAW marks to UMS depending on the nature of the exam

As The Ed described

They sit down and analyse how students coped with the paper and work out how many actual marks is going to equal 80 UMS. For a normal paper it should be 60, if they determine it was a hard paper they may decide that only 55 marks are needed to be awarded 80. If it was easy then they may decide more than 60 marks will be required for an 80. They do the same for E grade (40 UMS). Once they have done that they spread the other marks out in between. So they never change your mark they just change how many actual marks are needed to be awarded a particuluar UMS.
Pretty much the same as everybody else - this is how my history teacher (and head of 6th form) described it:
First they mark all of the papers, giving them raw marks
Then they find the worst paper that they are willing to give an A and give them 80UMS
Those who got higher raw will get higher than 80
They then do the same for grade boundries B, C, D and E
Reply 6
sean kefw

Lower RAW boundaries means higher UMS marks for the same raw mark.

e.g. paper is marked out of 75 raw marks.

June 2009: raw boundary for an A is 63/75. This equals 80/100 UMS.

January 2010: raw boundary for an A is 59/75. This equals 80/100 UMS. 63/75 in this paper will get more than 80/100 UMS.

Latest

Trending

Trending