Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is taking two foreign languages at A Level too much? watch

ReputationRep:
    learing chinese is becoming a fashion trend and it is also easy to learn with proper guide. x

ReputationRep:
    i took English and Italian at A level and its a total nightmare. English is easy but Italian isn't any more. I'm finding it hard to focus on both Italian and English. but on the other hand, my friends have the same subjects and they don't complain. so I guess it really depends on how much you know the two languages and how much you like them

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who took german and french. She did very well, considering that she hadnt taken them for GCSE!

ReputationRep:
    basically, yes. do it.

all my advice it that of those above.

if you're good at it, it'll be okay. i think it also depends on the exam board you're on...

ReputationRep:
    Foreign languages are respected subjects as the knowledge of them declines in Great Britain. It is really worth a try.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I know a girl who did German, French, Spanish, English, and Italian (enrichment).

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Russian and Arabic at A level and I find it very challenging. The hardest part is balancing the two languages. If you're a talented learner of languages, and have already developed effective systems that allow you to assimilate foreign languages properly, then go for it, but it will be a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weisz_hill)
    learing chinese is becoming a fashion trend and it is also easy to learn with proper guide. x
    Chinese is not easy to learn if you have no experience with Sino-Tibetan languages!

ReputationRep:
    One is my friends has taken Italian, French and German for A level and at his medicine interview in Bristol the other day, he was required to answer in french! It is immensely useful to have more than one- just make sure you don't get the two confused :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitediamondsinthesnow)
    I'm currently deciding on which A Levels to take and I cannot decide on either French or German, I want to take both but I've been told it's a lot of work and can get confusing, anyone take two? Is it that bad? Thanks
    It is definitely possible if you have the willingness to succeed. If you have a passion for languages, or simply enjoy studying them even if you don't intend to study them at university, learning languages will give your lots of skills that employers and lecturers are looking for, but it will also open your mind on other cultures and finally, it will give you two other academic languages, i.e. you will be able to read French and German and may have a chance to use them to read material that isn't in English but would teach you a lot about your subject (History or Literature are the best).

I had to learn 3 languages + my mother tongue (so ended up doing English, Italian and Latin or Greek or Russian + French) for most of my life, as well as about 9 other subjects like all the sciences, history, geography and crap like that, and the only struggle I had was that I didn't have enough motivation for languages at the time, and not having the choice of stopping them made me want to rebel a bit against them. I only ever mixed languages when I was doing Italian and Latin at the same time, but I do believe that French and German are different enough for you not to have this problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earthly)
    I'm doing Russian and Arabic at A level and I find it very challenging. The hardest part is balancing the two languages. If you're a talented learner of languages, and have already developed effective systems that allow you to assimilate foreign languages properly, then go for it, but it will be a lot of work.
    Yeah but it's Russian and Arabic you're talking about :p:. French and German won't be as challenging, as the OP probably started studying them ages ago, so is used to studying them, whereas you started two languages that have nowhere near half as much material for learning them than the regular languages (i.e. French, German, Italian, Spanish).

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently deciding on which A Levels to take and I cannot decide on either French or German, I want to take both but I've been told it's a lot of work and can get confusing, anyone take two? Is it that bad? Thanks
    :facepalm: No...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I took both at GCSE, as well as Welsh *shudder*. I'm predicted A*s in both so I guess I should give it a go! Oh and the exam board my school primarily uses is the WJEC

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I took both at GCSE, as well as Welsh *shudder*. I'm predicted A*s in both so I guess I should give it a go! Oh and the exam board my school primarily uses is the WJEC
    im on wjec too. you shoudlnt have much bother with either. i'd say wjec as french is slightly easier than german. the course structure, and the options for both are things like media, leisure, university, family problems, tourism. basically gcse stuff, tbh.
    however, a2 is much more difficult!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm it depends on how confident you are in both languages, and what else you want to study. I have a friend who is doing french, german, music and english lit, and even though she's good at everything lol she's sooo much better at languages and arts than sciences. if you enjoy that kind of thing and are going to use it in the future, why not?
    xx

A pain in the arse for anyone doing French and German this year is that on AQA our exams are within 24 hours of each other....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_1892)
    A pain in the arse for anyone doing French and German this year is that on AQA our exams are within 24 hours of each other....
    oh no!!! thats sounds rough!!

im resitting my german oral with an external examiner, and ive got a feeling that im going to have both my as and my a2 orals will be on the same day :|

ReputationRep:
    I did French and German at A level, and got As in both. If anything, doing two languages makes it easier, as you get to practise the same skills more. The only bad part is when you have orals on consecutive days, and so have to remember two presentations. Quite fun though. I'd definitely recommend it. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm doing the European Baccalaureate..
    I'm doing English, French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Philosophy, History and Geography. Do you think this is a disadvantage as you guys study the sciences at a deeper level than me?
    My average is almost 9/10. i think that's an A*..

ReputationRep:
    The WJEC AS French last year was a really nice paper. A2 seems like quite a step up though as it moves more towards analysis of texts and films.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.