Turn on thread page Beta

What should one study to become a Diplomat? watch

ReputationRep:
    How do i make earl gey tea? Oh!

"Rule Britannia!"

ReputationRep:
    Well I honestly don't know much about this at all, but in terms of University degrees: Philosophy, Politics and Economics is a logical choice, though presumably harder to get into than Political Sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Commonwealth)
    Hello! I am currently 18, from a good family with a few good connections and i would like to become a British Diplomat as soon as i am granted citizenship (That would be next year). I like the idea of standing up for Great Britain and representing this country which i love. Travel abroad and Diplomatic missions are a must, i have no intention to stay in London to make photocopies and serve coffee. I am fluent in French and German, i have two A grade A2 levels in both. I was thinking one should study Political Sciences, what do you think?

I would appreciate any information you can give me about the different jobs avalaible within the Diplomatic Mission, the pay, the usual routine, what happens where, why and how... Any advice and recommendations are welcome, thank you very much!

"Rule Britannia!"
    The 'good connections' will not matter a jot in the selection process of the typical route: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/jobs/...Stream/DS.aspx

Equally a 2.2 in Surf Science is as valid as a double 1st in PPE at Oxford since the application process is degree blind (although you must have a 2.2 at degree level). You just need to demonstrate the competencies during the selection process.

The rest is too vague to talk about, other than starting salary is approx 26k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiBFS)
    The 'good connections' will not matter a jot in the selection process of the typical route: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/jobs/...Stream/DS.aspx

Equally a 2.2 in Surf Science is as valid as a double 1st in PPE at Oxford since the application process is degree blind (although you must have a 2.2 at degree level). You just need to demonstrate the competencies during the selection process.

How high do you think the chances are to end up as an Embassador after a few years? And what is the starting job like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiBFS)

How high do you think the chances are to end up as an Embassador after a few years? And what is the starting job like?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Politics.

ReputationRep:
    try not being an ass first.. no wait.

ReputationRep:

Incredibly low if you don't know how to spell 'Ambassador'.

ReputationRep:
    An ambassador after a few years? Virtually no chance mate.

ReputationRep:
    Please excuse this mistake, i am indeed, very tired today.

ReputationRep:
    *Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Having an A at A2 for French and German does not mean you're fluent by any means.

To be honest you sound pretty up your own arse about all of this, a diplomat/ambassador should be open-minded and prepared to debate with people of other countries as equals. And, you'd be representing the United Kingdom, not Great Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannylj)
    *Ambassador
    I love your signature. 1984 is my favorite book, George Orwell was an amazing writer.

ReputationRep:
    You can do whatever degree you like. A language might be useful probably, although it's not like you'd be guaranteed to go that country.
    You definitely won't be an ambassador after a few years! There is so much competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactussed)
    Having an A at A2 for French and German does not mean you're fluent by any means.

To be honest you sound pretty up your own arse about all of this, a diplomat/ambassador should be open-minded and prepared to debate with people of other countries as equals. And, you'd be representing the United Kingdom, not Great Britain.
    My spoken German and French are perfect, trust me. Why? Well, mother tongue. I am very open minded, i always love a good debate.

ReputationRep:
    I love your signature. 1984 is my favorite book, George Orwell was an amazing writer.
    Thanks And yeah George Orwell is brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    My spoken German and French are perfect, trust me. Why? Well, mother tongue. I am very open minded, i always love a good debate.
    Fairy snuff, as long as you know how good you are yourself. I've met too many people who presume an A level equals fluency.

I suppose your best bet would be to ask the FCO, they could give you guidance better than anyone here (I doubt you'd find many diplomats on here).

ReputationRep:
    You want to be an ambassador? Get rich, put your money on a political party winning a general election and become a big-time party donor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    You want to be an ambassador? Get rich, put your money on a political party winning a general election and become a big-time party donor.
    No my friend. That's the formula for a knighthood...

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.