Turn on thread page Beta

Reusing DAILY contact lenses... watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, I broke a few lenses and now basically have 3 lenses for my right eye and none for my left. I've got an important interview early tommorow morning and my glasses are broken. I was wondering if something really terrible will happen if I wear one of today's lenses tommorow. I know I can wear just one lense and hope to get by, but I don't wanna mess up on the reading by appearing crossyed or like I can't keep my pplace etc.. . What to do ://

ReputationRep:
    They're obviously daily for a reason...

What you should do tomorrow.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Serious post: You've only got one pair of eyes - Why risk it?

ReputationRep:
    if your lenses are from specsavers, they'll give you a few (i think its 3) replacement contacts for free, so stop off an get one?

ReputationRep:
    But if you can't get those, its probably better to go with a contact in just one eye.. don't oyu have an old pair of glasses that you could use?

ReputationRep:
    how are you breaking/losing everything? haha be organised!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...pping-off.html

I say go for it... the worst that'll happen is you'll go more blind than you already are!

ReputationRep:
    Don't.
    You can seriously damage your eyes, because the lenses aren't designed for it. They may even begin to break down in your eye, and if you've ever split a contact lens in your eye, you'll know how painful it is.
    Are the two eyes drastically different prescriptions? If they aren't too bad, you could use a 'right' lens in your left eye.
    Failing that, an old pair of glasses or one contact lens.
    I'm pretty short-sighted (-6.5) and have spent a few days with one lens in after i lost a monthly lens on holiday. After half an hour your brain gets used to it. Obviously, not safe to drive etc. with one lens

ReputationRep:
    hey i work in an opticians and you shouldnt wear daily contact more than once ever! its really bad and can cause irritation or an infection to the eye! you can ring your opticians and ask for trials for your left eye tomorow which they shud give you. just wear your glasses, its not worth causing your eye damage!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    nooo dont it can be dangerous. Why the point of wearing contacts if your going to reuse lmao..

ReputationRep:
    ever split a contact lens in your eye, you'll know how painful it is.
    Dear lord that hurts :cry2:

Just wear a right lens in your left eye, should be ok. Or wear one. I've done that before for a whole day, not ideal but better than going blind :o:

ReputationRep:
    Go down to your opticians as soon as possible, and pick up another few lenses. If you can get away with wearing a right eye lens in your left eye then that would also be better than reusing.

ReputationRep:
    ok Thanks all, I will wear one lens and pray it goes well. Peace out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    Don't.
    You can seriously damage your eyes, because the lenses aren't designed for it. They may even begin to break down in your eye, and if you've ever split a contact lens in your eye, you'll know how painful it is.
    Are the two eyes drastically different prescriptions? If they aren't too bad, you could use a 'right' lens in your left eye.
    Failing that, an old pair of glasses or one contact lens.
    I'm pretty short-sighted (-6.5) and have spent a few days with one lens in after i lost a monthly lens on holiday. After half an hour your brain gets used to it. Obviously, not safe to drive etc. with one lens
    :cry2: oh god that can happen? i never think about these things. oh

(Original post by .ka)
    Its 100% fine to reuse daily lenses as long as you keep them in solution for the night.

good luck, have a nice interview
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by .ka)
    Um I reuse my dailies sometimes and my eyes are perfectly fine. If you've got contact lens cleaner it might be worth giving them a rinse, but you'll be perfectly fine, and be able to see properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    :cry2: oh god that can happen? i never think about these things. oh
    Generally only if you put in a damaged lens. I was in a hurry, so i wore it anyway. Not a good idea :no: Getting the bits out is hardest. I gave up on a couple, and left them in overnight. I woke up in the morning and they'd fallen out onto my cheek.

ReputationRep:
    Are people serious?!

.ka It doesnt matter if you wear a daily disposable lens for two days in a row once because of an emergency.

Ive worn dailies for 2 or 3 days in a row in the past because ive had to and its caused no damage. If you do it on a regular basis its likely to damage your eyes but a once off is okay. Honestly I think the advice people have given here is well intended and well informed but far too over cautious and impractial.

Just wear them to the interview take them straight out and make sure you have spare lenses in the future so it doesnt happen again.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot my box of lenses when I went on holiday (in england thankfully) and I just went to the town's specsavers and bought a new box for something in the region of £15-20.

It's expensive but if you are desperate. .

(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Are people serious?!

.ka It doesnt matter if you wear a daily disposable lens for two days in a row once because of an emergency.

Ive worn dailies for 2 or 3 days in a row in the past because ive had to and its caused no damage. If you do it on a regular basis its likely to damage your eyes but a once off is okay. Honestly I think the advice people have given here is well intended and well informed but far too over cautious and impractial.

Just wear them to the interview take them straight out and make sure you have spare lenses in the future so it doesnt happen again.
    It's possibly the worst thing you can do (besides licking your lenses, which 20% of CL wearers do according to a survey by ACLM). Daily CL have an easily to comply with wearing schedule and effectively no cleaning routine.

Wearing a daily for more than one day will increase the chances of lipid and protien deposits that will irritate the eye, causing blurred vision, discomfort, photophobia, lacrimation, limbal injection, infiltrates and epithilial damage. But by far the biggest risk is the increased chance of bacterial adherance to the lens that is potentially sight threatening.

Spoiler:
    Show

I have a contact lens exam this afternoon!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.