Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Reusing DAILY contact lenses... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiky)
    It's possibly the worst thing you can do (besides licking your lenses, which 20% of CL wearers do according to a survey by ACLM). Daily CL have an easily to comply with wearing schedule and effectively no cleaning routine.

Wearing a daily for more than one day will increase the chances of lipid and protien deposits that will irritate the eye, causing blurred vision, discomfort, photophobia, lacrimation, limbal injection, infiltrates and epithilial damage. But by far the biggest risk is the increased chance of bacterial adherance to the lens that is potentially sight threatening.

Spoiler:
    Show

I have a contact lens exam this afternoon!
    By how much though? Do they publish any statistics about this? Lets assume that you wash the lens properly and remove all deposits and bacteria so its only the mechanical wear-and-tear damage of one days normal wearing. Dailies dont fall apart after one days use.

Im not claiming I know more about this than you, because I clearly dont. I just find it very hard to believe that it poses the massive threat that people think it does when so many people wear daily contacts for more than a day on rare occasions and see no ill effects at all.

It would be interesting to hear a well informed opinion on this aswell if youve got time to read it:

(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    By how much though? Do they publish any statistics about this? Lets assume that you wash the lens properly and remove all deposits and bacteria so its only the mechanical wear-and-tear damage of one days normal wearing. Dailies dont fall apart after one days use.

Im not claiming I know more about this than you, because I clearly dont. I just find it very hard to believe that it poses the massive threat that people think it does when so many people wear daily contacts for more than a day on rare occasions and see no ill effects at all.

It would be interesting to hear a well informed opinion on this aswell if youve got time to read it:
    Most people who wear dailies are first time CL users. 80% of the current CL market is made up of dailies, so very few have the solutions required to clean the lenses before inserting them again the next day. Soaking overnight in saline isn't enough. You need surfactants, cleaners, disinfectants, protien removals. One of the biggest causes of contamination is your tear secretions. Protien and lipids deposit on the lens making it uncomfortable to wear next time but also increasing risk of infection. Acanthamoba [sp]- a non parasitic infection, penicillum- a fungal infection, and others, all are much more common is patients who just don't comply with the wearing schedule.

With regards to the article, daily lenses are thinner than weekly or monthly contact lenses because they have lower requirements for durability against wear and tear. Deciding on the modality of the lens depends on the reasons for wear, mainly. A patient who only intends to wear the lenses for social events and thus intermittently will be asked to consider dailies as a pose to monthly lenses.

I don't have any stats right now, but here is a paper that suggests an increase prevelance of infections in extended wear lenses (so even with compliant patients and the appropriate cleaning schedule):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...022745/?page=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiky)
    Most people who wear dailies are first time CL users. 80% of the current CL market is made up of dailies, so very few have the solutions required to clean the lenses before inserting them again the next day. Soaking overnight in saline isn't enough. You need surfactants, cleaners, disinfectants, protien removals. One of the biggest causes of contamination is your tear secretions. Protien and lipids deposit on the lens making it uncomfortable to wear next time but also increasing risk of infection. Acanthamoba [sp]- a non parasitic infection, penicillum- a fungal infection, and others, all are much more common is patients who just don't comply with the wearing schedule.
    Failing to clean the lenses properly would increase the risk of infection whether you were using dailies or monthly lenses though. And again we dont know by how much these risks increase, its meaningless without a number.

With regards to the article, daily lenses are thinner than weekly or monthly contact lenses because they have lower requirements for durability against wear and tear. Deciding on the modality of the lens depends on the reasons for wear, mainly. A patient who only intends to wear the lenses for social events and thus intermittently will be asked to consider dailies as a pose to monthly lenses.
    The court case ruled that the contact lenses were exactly the same. Even the guy from the contact lens company admitted "No physical property of 1-Day Acuvue limits its use to a single day disposable wear."

I don't have any stats right now, but here is a paper that suggests an increase prevelance of infections in extended wear lenses (so even with compliant patients and the appropriate cleaning schedule):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...022745/?page=1
    That paper didnt mention anything about wearing daily lenses for more than one day. It was to do with wearing lenses overnight wasnt it?

The more research I do the less convinced I get. There doesnt seem to be any evidence that wearing contacts for slightly longer than recommended does any damage at all. There is however lots of anecdotal evidence that doctors tell their patients its okay to wear lenses for longer than recommended provided you clean them properly and get your eyes checked regularly.

Plus some brands of daily and longer wear contacts are physically identical it seems. And apparently the same contacts are sold with different recommended wearing periods depending on what country you buy them from :confused:

I think Im going to try wearing my dailies for 2 days each until my next check up. If I dont see any ill effects and they dont notice a difference its £20 a month I wouldnt mind saving.

Failing to clean the lenses properly would increase the risk of infection whether you were using dailies or monthly lenses though. And again we dont know by how much these risks increase, its meaningless without a number.

Yes. But that is the problem. Most people who resuse dailies leave their lenses in the saline solution in the packet and just insert them without cleaning them. So theoretically, if you followed a cleaning routine with a daily as you would with the equivilant monthly (or weekly or fornighty) then the risk of developing an infection stays low

The court case ruled that the contact lenses were exactly the same. Even the guy from the contact lens company admitted "No physical property of 1-Day Acuvue limits its use to a single day disposable wear."
    No way are the majority of monthly lenses the same as dailies. Daily lenses as so much thinner (which is why we suggest them to patients with hypoxia and dry eye symptoms).

What company spokesman? The only place that quote has been used is in the Daily Mail.

That paper didnt mention anything about wearing daily lenses for more than one day. It was to do with wearing lenses overnight wasnt it?
    I was trying to highlight the importance of thourough cleaning. The main reason for CL complications is poor compliance, especially to the areas of CL wear routine that will not affect comfort i.e. cleaning. It would be dangerous for us to tell people that dailies and monthly lenses are potentially the same and only differ in durability; people would be wearing dailies for more than one day without following a cleaning regime and putting their sight at risk. If these people wanted a weekly, forthnightly or monthly lens (which tend to more costly in the long run) then they will have to see their opticians to assess if it would be a suitable change and to be taught the cleaning schedule and the importance of one.

The more research I do the less convinced I get. There doesnt seem to be any evidence that wearing contacts for slightly longer than recommended does any damage at all. There is however lots of anecdotal evidence that doctors tell their patients its okay to wear lenses for longer than recommended provided you clean them properly and get your eyes checked regularly.

Plus some brands of daily and longer wear contacts are physically identical it seems. And apparently the same contacts are sold with different recommended wearing periods depending on what country you buy them from :confused:
    Totally not true. Have you ever tried any other lenses other than dailies?

I think Im going to try wearing my dailies for 2 days each until my next check up. If I dont see any ill effects and they dont notice a difference its £20 a month I wouldnt mind saving.
    Dailies were created for people who (a) wanted a clean lens everyday, and (b) didn't want a cleaning regime. If you take care of your daily lenses just as you would a longer modulus lens, and you are not too bothered about the reduced quality of vision, possible abberations then continue to wear your dailies for 2 days.

ReputationRep:
    I realise this is an old story but i shall breathe new life into it.

There are several articles on the net in which CL manufacturers such as J & J admit that the lens materials for daily and weekly/monthly lenses are the same or virtually the same.

Indeed J&J were compelled by court action in the US to compensate many claimants who took the view that they have been overcharged by being sold dailies (Acuvue) when they could have reused them with no issues as if they were weekly/monthly lenses.

Bausch & Lomb have also been in the courts for similar.

There is no doubt that the vast majority of eye issues associated with CLs are related to user error/hygiene.

The study below..and similar

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22041587

relates to studies where users simply took the lens out and floated it in the preservative used in the original packaging!

The most effective methods IMHO would be...

Clean lens case with solution..(not tap water)

Dry with paper towel.

Fill with fresh soaking/cleaner solution

Wash hands

dry with paper towel

extract lens

put on palm and wash with solution, gently rub with little finger

rinse

put in case

repeat with other lens

On next use, clean hands,remove lens from case, rinse with solution, insert

ReputationRep:
    Just doing some reading and it may be of interest to those who use reusable soft contact lenses,whilst not being an expert, it appears from the linked study that the vast majority of widely available multi purpose contact lens solutions are actually ineffective in killing Acanthamoeba strains either on the lens or within the storage case!

Correct me if i have misunderstood..

http://bjo.bmj.com/content/82/9/1033.full

http://www.optometry.co.uk/uploads/a...rd19990820.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Oh PLEASE people. Has no-one read the reports that the compsition of daily disposables is almost identical to monthlies for nearly all manufacturers. It's the biggest con going! I've been wearing contacts for 15 years and never had any problems (except for the occasional late-night dryness due to length of wear). On workdays my lenses go in at 6am and don't come out until 11pm. I use 2 pairs of lenses (dailies) per fortnight and wear them in rotation, meaning each pair soaks for a full day before wearing again. I have used one pair of dailies for up to a month, but they do get a bit friable and less good at rehydrating if you use them for that long. I've never had an eye infection in my life. I take reasonable care with hygiene and change the soaking fluid regularly.I wear contacts every single day and would estimate that my YEARLY bill is around £60. And yes, I did hesitate at first because I read all the warnings, but what clinched it for me was the fact that the composition of the lenses is so similar, it doesn't make sense that you can reuse some (e.g. monthlies) and not others.I've recommended this to others who are now smiling happily and saving the £££s. It's all just manufacturing hype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vtypeswiss)
    Oh PLEASE people. Has no-one read the reports that the compsition of daily disposables is almost identical to monthlies for nearly all manufacturers. It's the biggest con going! I've been wearing contacts for 15 years and never had any problems (except for the occasional late-night dryness due to length of wear). On workdays my lenses go in at 6am and don't come out until 11pm. I use 2 pairs of lenses (dailies) per fortnight and wear them in rotation, meaning each pair soaks for a full day before wearing again. I have used one pair of dailies for up to a month, but they do get a bit friable and less good at rehydrating if you use them for that long. I've never had an eye infection in my life. I take reasonable care with hygiene and change the soaking fluid regularly.I wear contacts every single day and would estimate that my YEARLY bill is around £60. And yes, I did hesitate at first because I read all the warnings, but what clinched it for me was the fact that the composition of the lenses is so similar, it doesn't make sense that you can reuse some (e.g. monthlies) and not others.I've recommended this to others who are now smiling happily and saving the £££s. It's all just manufacturing hype.
    Please spend a few years at an eye clinic to see the other people who end up in hospital for that.
    Although it may seem the same meterial and the same water %, it is not completly the same amount of layers and the monthly lenses are built for reusing, while dailies don't. They can be torn a part in your eye and it will require a doctor to take them out, and it's a torture.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.