Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have the answer Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dark_Knight)
    Hi can any one explain the answer to me please!

An element that has an electron configuration of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1 and thus atoms contain 11 electrons will form ions with which charge on reacting with oxygen:

A.+1
    B.–1
    C.+2
    D.–2
    E.no charge, as it is a noble gas.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    Well looking at the electron configuration, i believe its Na. If it bonds with Oxygen, then it will have to lose 2 electrons, to complete Oxygen's outer electron shell. So it will become +2.
    oxygen outermost shell has 4 electrons and Na has 1 electron, when they bond they will lose 2 electrons leaving 3 electrons on the outermost. Why lose the electrons?

thank you

ReputationRep:
    I would think the answer is +1 because the element is sodium which forms an ionic bond Na(2)O with oxygen. the charge of Na is always +1

ReputationRep:
    oxygen outermost shell has 4 electrons and Na has 1 electron, when they bond they will lose 2 electrons leaving 3 electrons on the outermost. Why lose the electrons?

thank you
    oxygen has 6(not 4) outer electrons.

ReputationRep:

thank you
    This is ionic bonding. Na 'donates' its electron. :facepalm: just got to me. Two Nas will bond with 1 Ox atom. So should be +1.

Its been a long day :emo: i'm tired :p:

ReputationRep:
    ask the joker, i like your user name OP

ReputationRep:

thank you
    This. There's a significant energy difference between the shells, so you can assume it's 1+ without knowing the element.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomdebs)
    I would think the answer is +1 because the element is sodium which forms an ionic bond Na(2)O with oxygen. the charge of Na is always +1

So When bonding sodium with oxgen you lose 1 electron from sodium which was on the outermost shell. So the sodium new outmost shell would have 8 electrons which will merge with oxygen which has a outermost shell consisting of 6 electrons. All togeather both outermost shell will have 14 electrons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    This is ionic bonding. Na 'donates' its electron. :facepalm: just got to me. Two Nas will bond with 1 Ox atom. So should be +1.

Its been a long day :emo: i'm tired :p:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    +1

s1 subshell, 1 electron in outer shell to be lost, so ionised it will be +1

Oxygen is group 6, so has 6 outermost electron, so the electron from the group 1 element will go to that (O seems to like being an anion from what I see :p:) But obviously you will need 2 group 1 atoms to form a stable molecule.

ReputationRep:
    So When bonding sodium with oxgen you lose 1 electron from sodium which was on the outermost shell. So the sodium new outmost shell would have 8 electrons which will merge with oxygen which has a outermost shell consisting of 6 electrons. All togeather both outermost shell will have 14 electrons?
    Two sodium atoms are needed to combine with one oxygen atom.(because of their valencies)the two sodium atoms each donate one electron to the oxygen atom.so the oxygen atom has 8 outer electrons aswell as the two sodium atoms.I hope you get it now

ReputationRep:
    haven't read through all the ones above so dont know if someone answered it already but it forms a +1 charge.. it loses the 3s1 electron to form a stable ion as all orbitals present are filled
    that should do it me thinks

ReputationRep:
    +1 ! the compound will be sodium oxide, Na2O, 2 being subscript

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomdebs)
    Two sodium atoms are needed to combine with one oxygen atom.(because of their valencies)the two sodium atoms each donate one electron to the oxygen atom.so the oxygen atom has 8 outer electrons aswell as the two sodium atoms.I hope you get it now
    :woo: got it now Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.