Turn on thread page Beta

Im 20, female and still a virgin because... watch

ReputationRep:
    I find the OP's perspective to be admirable, especially in today's society. Don't pay attention to the anecdotal "it's gonna be ****, you'll be disappointed" posts. Even if it is weird and awkward your first time, it'll still be much better than that on an emotional level if you're with someone you love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    Far from it. I personally think it says a lot about a person who would let any old guy enter them without it meaning anything.

And for you to think that a girls virginity is just a 'hymen' then I feel sorry for you. You might view your virginity as just a piece of skin, but I have to much self-love to think so little of it. My virginity, like many of my friends, will be taken by someone who worships the ground I walk on. I'll presume it's too late for you.
    Nice.

I simply used the hymen because it seemed a nice counter to the dirty rag; whore v angel argument kinda thing.

It's no better to brag about being a virgin than bragging about sleeping with loads of people. Neither are a badge (or a ring) of honour.

'Any old guy' (I assume you also mean any old girl too) hmmm you know not everyone who has lost their virginity sleeps around.

And you have to base your friends solely on the fact that they hold the same opinions on this topic then that is also pretty sad.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to be a bit disappointed if you've built it up this much. Yes, it's nice to share yourself with someone but it's not as big a thing as it's made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoujin)
    You're going to be a bit disappointed if you've built it up this much. Yes, it's nice to share yourself with someone but it's not as big a thing as it's made out to be.
    That's a pure matter of opinion.

its not that bad being a virgin at 20, its not bad at all, at least you didnt do it the cheryl cole way.

OP I'm in the same boat as you. There is nothing wrong with that, if waiting is what you want to do then by all means wait.
    Its not so much about how the sex will be its more to do with it being something intimite and wanting your first time to mean something even if it isn't "great". I for one value my virginity also. Ideally I'd like to wait until I'm married but if I meet someone really special then that wouldn't be such a problem, I just have a issue with loosing it to a random stranger or someone I wasn't too fond of emotionally. I want it to be more than physical attraction and someone I trust.
    There is so much pressure to loose it, especially now I'm at Uni and I have made out with someone but I don't think its right for us to have sex as I don't know him that well ( and I have a feeling that he only wants one thing).
    I know not all guys are about the sex but it seems that everyone who has taken an interest in me so far has had that on their mind . I guess if I wasn't a virgin then I would have a more carefree approach to sex...I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    its not that bad being a virgin at 20, its not bad at all, at least you didnt do it the cheryl cole way.
    What's the Cheryl Cole way?

ReputationRep:
    it's not difficult for a girl to find someone willing to have sex with them (unless you happen to be extremely unattractive) so we have the opportunity to be picky about our first time. You have every right to want your first time to be special, and I completely understand.
    I thought about getting a purity ring once... let's just say it was a short-lived idea :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    What's the Cheryl Cole way?
    This:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...it-months.html

It's just kinda funny how she thought waiting 3 months for sex with her boyfriend was something to be proud of, and all the commenters are grilling her about it :facepalm: I have a friend who lost it at 15 also, but they did wait 10 months and are still together after 3 years

ReputationRep:
    i am waiting for the right person.

I have had 2 bfs in the past, one extremely confident (too agrressive at times) and the other extremely shy. The first bf was when i was quite young, and always tried to pressure me into having sex, the 2nd bf .... well we were close to having sex, but im glad we never and we're friends now.

Im not in a relationship now, but i have had chances to have sex with other guys. Since i am a virgin, i want my first time to be quite special and with someone that i find special. Im 20, so i do get urges sometimes to lose it with anyone, but thats what iv been trying to avoid. So i dont know what to do...or how long it will be until i find the right person, whom id want a long relationship with.
    i feel exactly the same, only no one's ever actually liked me enough to go on a date with me - but it'll happen when it happens and it'll be so much more special when it does and the reason it will be special won't be because its my first time of having sex, it will be because i'll be being as intimate and close as you can possibly be with someone i love - and i can't wait for that - but doing it with someone you love is more important i think you're doing the right thing in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    This:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...it-months.html

It's just kinda funny how she thought waiting 3 months for sex with her boyfriend was something to be proud of, and all the commenters are grilling her about it :facepalm: I have a friend who lost it at 15 also, but they did wait 10 months and are still together after 3 years
    Ha. That's such an agonizingly long time for a 15 year old!

(Original post by Respect4Acting)
    Someone report this msg, so a mod can see it.
    Choo got it mayne.

ReputationRep:

I have had 2 bfs in the past, one extremely confident (too agrressive at times) and the other extremely shy. The first bf was when i was quite young, and always tried to pressure me into having sex, the 2nd bf .... well we were close to having sex, but im glad we never and we're friends now.

Im not in a relationship now, but i have had chances to have sex with other guys. Since i am a virgin, i want my first time to be quite special and with someone that i find special. Im 20, so i do get urges sometimes to lose it with anyone, but thats what iv been trying to avoid. So i dont know what to do...or how long it will be until i find the right person, whom id want a long relationship with.
    Do you want a medal or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    Someone report this msg, so a mod can see it.
    Maybe the mod has a crush on you? Hate = Love lol!

Anyway, I just can't get over how obsessed people are with the ins-n-outs of celebrities lives. Magazies such as OK! Hello! etc are just full of rubbish about which celebrity is wearing what and the sort.

But if you like it, who am I to say its wrong :rolleyes:

(Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    Do you want a medal or something?
    No ofcourse not, i just wanted peoples opinion, and their experiences. Its 2010... im sure its suppose to be more like:

'Oh wow, you've finally lost your virginity... heres a medal.'

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about? Please quote me where I said that all of my friends are virgins. I said "many" of my friends. You're just being pedantic melodramatic now.

And yes, my view applies to men as well. But seeing as the OP is female, it makes sense to talk about females right now. IMO virginities are something worth holding on to- and to refer to it as a piece of "skin" is a disgrace in my eyes.

"It's no better to brag about being a virgin than bragging about sleeping with loads of people. Neither are a badge (or a ring) of honour"

And where is anyone bragging about their sex life/lack of sex life? Are you really that insecure? It sounds like you've been used once too many a time. Besides, no religious woman would take what you just said seriously.
    hmmmmm. I think it's fine if you want to wait for someone, but I think you shouldnt be judging people so hard if they dont see sex the way you do. I think that's the point Glasshouse was trying to make. Making those who didnt wait out to be "whores" or whatever. I can see arguments for both sides to be honest. Saving yoursel ill make the experience much more beautiful - agreed. But just because you wait for someone YOU think is "the one" doesnt mean that you are going to run into the sunset forever. And if it ends really badly, you may end up also feeling used and maybe more so because you feel a fool for wasting your virginity on someone you thought was worth it, but ****** you over. If it works out, then brilliant.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that there are no guarantees in life. No right answers, no wrong ones. I say live and let live and stop judging people.

I lost my virginity to someone I didnt really care about but I am in love now with someone great. Sex is really special and beautiful to us but we don't need virginity to reaffirm that.

(Original post by Ah.Cheesecake.)
    I've said it once, I'll say it again:
    How the **** is THAT supposed to go in THERE???
    And there will be blood. You don't want someone that you don't trust to see that tbh. :rolleyes:

OP: (I still don't know what that stands for..)
    I love that you're waiting for someone special
    What are you actually looking for in that 'someone special?'
    :p: its going to sound lame.. but someone like this,

Similar situation here- 21 years old, male and a virgin.
    Actually correction- I am a supervirgin: never kissed, never dated, no gf ever.
    And despite my desparateness and overdueness for a shag, at this point I feel that I don't want to have the first time with just any girl.
    Not necessarily a virgin, if im in love with them, but someone who would also find it special. Not one of those guys who has slept with alot of girls, becasue it would be meaning less to him.

Id also want to look back, and feel happy about the way i lost it.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about? Please quote me where I said that all of my friends are virgins. I said "many" of my friends. You're just being pedantic melodramatic now.

And yes, my view applies to men as well. But seeing as the OP is female, it makes sense to talk about females right now. IMO virginities are something worth holding on to- and to refer to it as a piece of "skin" is a disgrace in my eyes.

"It's no better to brag about being a virgin than bragging about sleeping with loads of people. Neither are a badge (or a ring) of honour"

And where is anyone bragging about their sex life/lack of sex life? Are you really that insecure? It sounds like you've been used once too many a time. Besides, no religious woman would take what you just said seriously.
    I thank the person who has already tried to clarify what I said and I will further elaborate...

Virgin friend quote: "My virginity, like many of my friends, will be taken by someone who worships the ground I walk on." :yes: you said it!

I don't really think I was being melodramatic, I was taking the middle ground. You have said (or certainly implied) that anyone who has lost their virginity sleeps with loads of people ('any old boy':yes: ). That is simply not true. Just because a person has lost their virginity, does not mean they sleep around (as you seem to imply).

By comparing virginity to a hymen I was trying to highlight how absurd this view is. Of course losing your virginity involves emotions (it is more than a physical experience), I said this to try to illustrate what your view on those who have lost their virginity sounds like.

You have said that you suspect people are jealous of those who haven't lost their virginity - this I would interpret as bragging. In my opinion, this is no better than bragging about sleeping with a dozen people.

As much as I love your analysis of me as 'insecure' simply because I do not think being a virgin is any better than not being a virgin, I think perhaps you need to re-read what I have said. Or try not be so rude.

I thought religion was about tolerance anyway.

ReputationRep:

I'll be round in a sec

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own, but I don't think it's a great idea to build it up too much, 1) because it could end up being a big anti-climax and 2) I don't see virginity as special anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.