Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am doing british foreign and imperial policy 1856-1914 (OCR) as one of my history topics (i did not choose this ) and am finding it quite tricky, it is basically a lot of random names and dates that i am unfamiliar with unlike subjects that are discussed or shown on tv etc. a lot this seems to be relativley unpopular. Basically are there any books or internet resources etc. that give a more basic overview of the subject, i have british foreign and imperial policy 1965-1914 and british imperial and foreign policy 184(?)-1980? and these are basically very in depth, scattered information without pictures or diagrams just long essays and reports that, while usefull for in depth study, dont help you remember unfamiliar names and dates.
    thanks in advance and good luck to anyone else taking this topic.
    carfraec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carfraec)
    Hi,
    I am doing british foreign and imperial policy 1856-1914 (OCR) as one of my history topics (i did not choose this ) and am finding it quite tricky, it is basically a lot of random names and dates that i am unfamiliar with unlike subjects that are discussed or shown on tv etc. a lot this seems to be relativley unpopular. Basically are there any books or internet resources etc. that give a more basic overview of the subject, i have british foreign and imperial policy 1965-1914 and british imperial and foreign policy 184(?)-1980? and these are basically very in depth, scattered information without pictures or diagrams just long essays and reports that, while usefull for in depth study, dont help you remember unfamiliar names and dates.
    thanks in advance and good luck to anyone else taking this topic.
    carfraec
    I say you should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSbMBh0YC1c and all the other parts, and episodes.

It's the TV series Empire by Niall Ferguson, the order the episodes are in is:

1.Why Britain?
    2.White Plague
    3.The Mission
    4.Heaven's Breed
    5.Maxim Force
    6.Empire For Sale

I would advise watching the whole thing to get a good grounding of British Imperial History. If you want more detail than the series has, you could get the book of the same name. It's not particularly well written but it's very detailed.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much i'll be sure to have a look!

ReputationRep:
    Are there any notes anyone have on this topic? I cant seem to find any resources on the internet and i need some help understanding it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2013

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.