Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    i'm also doing this paper.
    has anyone done any Solomon's? is it worth it?
    I do them to scare myself, so that I will buck up :yep:

ReputationRep:
    What are these Solomon papers anyway?

Also, I had a question regarding Jan 06, 4b
    Given that x=4sin(2y + 6), find dy/dx in terms of x

I got to the point 1/(8 cos(2y + 6) but I didn't know how to get rid of that y, any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    What are these Solomon papers anyway?

Also, I had a question regarding Jan 06, 4b
    Given that x=4sin(2y + 6), find dy/dx in terms of x

I got to the point 1/(8 cos(2y + 6) but I didn't know how to get rid of that y, any ideas?
    Solomon papers are those written before the current Edexcel maths syllabus was released. They're harder (ranging from A-M [or something]) and sometimes tend to have things that the syllabus doesn't.

As for your question: arcsin(\frac{x}{4})=2y+6 you get this by rearranging the initial equation. and basically replacing 2y+6 with x.

ReputationRep:
    Solomon papers are those written before the current Edexcel maths syllabus was released. They're harder (ranging from A-M [or something]) and sometimes tend to have things that the syllabus doesn't.

As for your question: arcsin(\frac{x}{4})=2y+6 you get this by rearranging the initial equation. and basically replacing 2y+6 with x.
    This is the markscheme for the question:

I understand everything in the markscheme for 4 (b), but what the hell is the thing enclosed my the red rectangle? How do you get that? O_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)

I understand everything in the markscheme for 4 (b), but what the hell is the thing enclosed my the red rectangle? How do you get that? O_O

I honestly have no clue! Although, the fact that it's in brackets means that it's an extra. So, you won't lose marks for not getting it.

ReputationRep:
    I've done a few Solomons, they're harder than any actual C3 paper. I wouldn't expect to be able to do it without looking at the mark scheme once or twice. I find them good practice though.

I really want a solid A in C3

ReputationRep:
    I am aiming for 100, but I always make silly mistakes! I want an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    I've done a few Solomons, they're harder than any actual C3 paper. I wouldn't expect to be able to do it without looking at the mark scheme once or twice. I find them good practice though.

I really want a solid A in C3
    your two statements are paradoxes, its not likely you will get a solid A unless youre able to do the soloman/elmwood papers very easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by htn)
    your two statements are paradoxes, its not likely you will get a solid A unless youre able to do the soloman/elmwood papers very easily.
    1) You should learn what a paradox means before you go on to say something "is not likely." A lesson in apostrophe usage wouldn't go a miss as well.

2) Solomon papers ARE much harder than any mock paper, you just have to take a look one to see that. I've got As in mock papers (AND real modules) and struggled with sp,e questions Solomons. The questions are much trickier. I'm pretty sure they've taken stuff out that were in Solomon papers from the syllabus (like proving by counter-examples etc.) Only the later questions will be of a similar difficulty, if that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    1) You should learn what a paradox means before you go on to say something "is not likely." A lesson in apostrophe usage wouldn't go a miss as well.

2) Solomon papers ARE much harder than any mock paper, you just have to take a look one to see that. I've got As in mock papers (AND real modules) and struggled with sp,e questions Solomons. The questions are much trickier. I'm pretty sure they've taken stuff out that were in Solomon papers from the syllabus (like proving by counter-examples etc.) Only the later questions will be of a similar difficulty, if that.
    1. this is a forum i dont care about my grammar, i study english lit/lang at college, im not an idiot @ english
    2. little bit harder yes, but the idea is do the hard ones, then the normal ones (edexcel) will be really easy

try some of the Elmwood papers for C3, theyre harder than Soloman, they give some of the nastiest questions around, so its good experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by htn)
    I doubt you need to do Solomon/Elmwood 'easily' in order to get an A at C3. In mocks, I've got A grades in C3 without having done any Solomon/Elmwood papers. I may be able to do them, but I certainly haven't practiced with them.

ReputationRep:
    can someone show me the steps to do question 1b june 2008 using the y =mx+c method not the y-1=...... Ive got the gradient and the coordinates but anytime i reaarange to find the intercept it is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)

You dont need to know that to do the Q fully
    Its to do with pythagorus' rule and creating a right angled triangle with sides x and 4 (creating the x^2 and 16, when squared)

And does anyone have the Official June 2009 paper and markscheme?
    found an unofficial one but one the proper one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzywuzz)
    Its to do with pythagorus' rule and creating a right angled triangle with sides x and 4 (creating the x^2 and 16, when squared)

Check the first post of this thread to get the markscheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzywuzz)

Ive got the official june 09 paper but i got it from school, try asking your teacher

ReputationRep:
    Theres a song on the radio always playing, sumit like, give me ten thousand butterflies.. i cant say id like to stay awake while im asleep

please help, its playing in my head, yet i cant fathom what its called

(Original post by Sahds)
    Theres a song on the radio always playing, sumit like, give me ten thousand butterflies.. i cant say id like to stay awake while im asleep

please help, its playing in my head, yet i cant fathom what its called
    Owl City - Fireflies?

(If so, it's an awesome tune!)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Just wondered if anyone could help me in identifying what the background music is on this website:

http://www.guidoborelli.com/guido/links.php

I was researching him for my art homework and I quite liked the piece playing. If anyone knows, I'd be grateful

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    How's it going everyone?

8 days left :eek:

EDIT: Someone please explain to me why the derivative of:

\dfrac{lnx}{tanx}

is

\dfrac{tanx-xsec^2xlnx}{xtan^2x}

I can work out the answer, except that I don't get the x into sec^2x part :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    can someone please help me. i'm looking for a song that has 'lalala' repeated in it and has lots of clapping. its quite catchy and sounds similar to something that the ting tings would release.
    CSS - Alala? Not sure if there's clapping in that though. I'll give it some thought and probably get back to you...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.