Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Stop Using The Calculator To Get Q8 You Use Your Pen And Pape And Do It!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie_91)
    Are you sure 45 is a solution, because i know if you express cot as cos/sin it's possible, but i think that'd be harsh because if you put 45 into the original equation you will get math error. After all you are finding solutions for that equation.
    Yeah in the actual exam I basically wrote that lol, I proved that I could either do this or this, but either way it comes up as math error on my calculator when I substituted my answers back into 1/tan(2x).

For me personally, it doesn't really matter if it was worth 2 marks or none for that matter, it shouldn't have been in the exam in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    well balls to that, coz if there were 4 solutions that's probably about 11 marks dropped now

ReputationRep:
    for question 2c. could yo not show that it equaled 2.057 by working out x5 and x6 and showing they euqal 2.057 to 3d.p?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nast)
    Yeah in the actual exam I basically wrote that lol, I proved that I could either do this or this, but either way it comes up as math error on my calculator when I substituted my answers back into 1/tan(2x).
    if u check it without calculator, 1/infinity = 0 then it works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gregyiangou)
    for question 2c. could yo not show that it equaled 2.057 by working out x5 and x6 and showing they euqal 2.057 to 3d.p?
    That is a method, but Im not sure if i have seen any of the MS that award marks for using that method. I think they will be looking for the change of sign method...

f(2.0575) = 0.00414
    f(2.0565) = -0.0138

i ant that sure tho. I am hoping for the best for you =]

ReputationRep:
    What do people reckon about the grade boundaries...? I reckon i got around 54 marks.. what should i be expexting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alithegreat)
    if u check it without calculator, 1/infinity = 0 then it works
    I get your point, but Edexcel knew we were going to use calculators in this exam, and most people check their answers by plugging their answer back into the question to see if it is right. When I do that and my calculator tells me one thing but my logic tells me another, who should I trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hackman®)
    What do people reckon about the grade boundaries...? I reckon i got around 54 marks.. what should i be expexting?
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...Boundaries.pdf
    Look at page 4. I think you can just look along across the table for all of the modules, and the spread of the UMS is provided for various grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nast)
    I get your point, but Edexcel knew we were going to use calculators in this exam, and most people check their answers by plugging their answer back into the question to see if it is right. When I do that and my calculator tells me one thing but my logic tells me another, who should I trust.

your mind is more powerful than a calculator Just kidding , maybe they wanted to see if we rely too much on calculators :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alithegreat)
    your mind is more powerful than a calculator Just kidding , maybe they wanted to see if we rely too much on calculators :yes:
    So they test us in the middle of a freaking exam XDD... Edexcel never ceases to amaze me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...Boundaries.pdf
    Look at page 4. I think you can just look along across the table for all of the modules, and the spread of the UMS is provided for various grade boundaries.
    Kl thanks alot, but surely the grade boundaries have got to be lower for this paper? This paper was the hardest id done...

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a pretty tough paper in comparison to all the past papers, but hopefully I can come out with over 90 ums. I was sure I got 3b wrong, and the last questions was difficult but after checking the answers, I feel relieved. For question 4i) will I lose many marks for not simplifying it fully? i.e not writing it as 2 fractions. Apart from that though, I think I got it all right :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have the edexcel C3 Question paper dated 20th january 2010?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Damn that doesn't look so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nast)
    So they test us in the middle of a freaking exam XDD... Edexcel never ceases to amaze me.
    Edexcel is my favourite board, its AQA which I hate

(Original post by kosy91)
    52 is tooo low...its never gone below 57, i think
    47/48 on M1 last Jan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Damn that doesn't look so good.
    So What u think you got?

(Original post by Milan.)
    number 8
    you solutions include 45 and 135 i plugged that into the top original equation and you get math error ...
    please tell me you dont need those two aswell!!!!!!!
    thanks

and number 9
    part ii) b) when drawing that graph (x-1)^2 + 3 you can include the value of 3 therefore isn't it fg >= 3

thanks
    8 - yes you will need the other two (one of the reasons it is very hard)
    9 - you are told x>1 so fg>3 not >=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    47/48 on M1 last Jan.
    He was referring to C3 grade boundaries.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.