Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by HitTheSwitch)
    60/75 is 80% so what they usually have as an A, but if the boundaries go down for it being hard then could be better :P
    Still gotta nail C4 though...
    I am only guessing but I think 60 will be about 90UMS

(Original post by dan9)
    sorry i dont agree with the last two solutions for question 8, you cannot have cot2x=0 as that implies that tan2x=0 and therefore the equation must be 1/0 = 0 which is plain wrong as that is infinity which is why the math error occurs on calculators??
    don't always trust your calc.

Cot 2x = cos 2x / sin 2x

x = 45, 2x = 90

cos 90 = 0, sin 90 = 1 (0/1 = 0) Not impossible!

ReputationRep:
    After reading back a couple of pages, I might have lost marks on the last question as well for getting the range wrong on the last part... I actually can't remember what I wrote for it >_<

Also for question 4i) If I didn't simplify it fully (writing it as 2 fractions) will I lose many marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Are you serious ? What makes you say that ?

(Original post by ArchedEdge)
    You're wrong, it's impossible to divide by 0, so the cot2x=0 is impossible and not a valid answer.

Just look at the graph of cot x

Cot x = 0 for an infinite amount of times.

I am afraid it is possible, I can not imagine many people nationally will have got this correct so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Nah, no way! Last year's C2 was harder than this year's C3 (at the time) in my opinion, and that was 53/75 for an A, with 60/75 raw being 90 UMS; I think this year, the 90 will be around 65/75. Saying that, we don't really know how everyone did, I'm just speculating.

ReputationRep:
    I found it difficult and came out quite unhappy. I don't think I got an A which I really need.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks do we think will be dropped for only 2 solutions to question 8?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i think 2

(Original post by klgyal)
    i got fg>=3 because i got fg= (x-1)^2+3
    yes but you are told x>1

(Original post by hammerhasni5)
    my mates who did it found it real easy.. but thats only cuz they had a friend from another school who finished the same exams half an hour earlier who gave them the questions!
    wtf how is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    Nah, no way! Last year's C2 was harder than this year's C3 (at the time) in my opinion, and that was 53/75 for an A, with 60/75 raw being 90 UMS; I think this year, the 90 will be around 65/75. Saying that, we don't really know how everyone did, I'm just speculating.
    If that's the case, then the grade boundary for an A would be 58/75. I think that's a reasonable speculation - I hope!

(Original post by gregyiangou)
    hi, for question 2c couldnt you work out X5 and X6 and show that they equal 2.057 to 3 d.p?
    no

(Original post by _lynx_)
    Do you think that we'll lose marks if we put down 4 solutions, providing that we got two of the correct ones?
    no you need 4 solutions, they are valid.

ReputationRep:
    if all of us found it hard hopefully the mark boundaries will be lower...but i dont think it will make a great difference to my grade...just need to start revising for it again to retake in june with c4 and m1.:mad2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    no you need 4 solutions, they are valid.
    I very much hope so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    where is it?
    look up arseys answers on page 32 or somin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    no
    I did it the way you did arsey, but the other way is definately acceptable, it has come up on past papers before and on the mark scheme it was shown that working it out up to X6 is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Some parts weren't to bad, others were not so good!

What did everyone get for q1? Can't open up the solutions posted couple pages back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    If that's the case, then the grade boundary for an A would be 58/75. I think that's a reasonable speculation - I hope!
    Well tbh, what I expect is that the A boundary is pretty low, say 56-57, but then to go up a few UMS marks, you need a lot of raw marks. For example, in the past, a maths paper with the boundary 55/75 for an A, was 65/75 for 98 UMS marks, whereas a paper that was 57/75 for an A, was 71/75 for 98 UMS marks, so personally, I think it's a paper that will be like the second paper I described. I go to a private school, lots of the people at my school said the paper was easy, so I think amongst the best candidates, it may be a slightly tougher to get over 90, but for most averagely smart people, an A shouldn't be too tough to get, maybe 57 as I said.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.