Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by khaggy)
    I did it the way you did arsey, but the other way is definitely acceptable, it has come up on past papers before and on the mark scheme it was shown that working it out up to X6 is acceptable.
    I don't think it is acceptable. I have never noticed that on the mark schemes.

Look at it this way, if you are using the ANS button on your calc; do you honestly think you get 2 marks just for pressing equals a couple of times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Updated solutions.

This was a really tough paper.

Q1. Lots of students will miss the difference of 2 squares.

Q2. Standard, pretty easy.

Q3. Standard, but never an easy one.

Q4. I think both parts will cause a lot of problems.

Q5. Very easy

Q6. Very easy

Q7. I think this will cause problems

Q8. Not that bad but lots of marks will be lost (as I showed!)

Q9. I think this one is really hard, I don't think many will get a) ii) correct.

My guess would be 50-52/75 for 80UMS
    yeeh definet not gna be around 50 for 80ums, maybe 57 or somin

ReputationRep:
    Worst exam ever, it even got me crying! I probably got like 40% :bawling: definate retake in june. These edexcel people just don't learn do they!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    I don't think it is acceptable. I have never noticed that on the mark schemes.

Look at it this way, if you are using the ANS button on your calc; do you honestly think you get 2 marks just for pressing equals a couple of times.
    When they want you to show it using the change of sign rule, they will say, "By choosing a suitable interval, prove...." if it doesn't specify (which it didn't) then its perfectly fine to do it the other way

No one will know the UMS conversions until the results come out. In my opinion this was far harder than any other previous C3 paper; typically C3 isn't that bad and C4 is very hard. I was worried it was going to a tricky paper because of the A* issue and the fact that all of the other papers so far had been pretty straight forward.

Maybe 52/75 is a bit too low but I doubt very much it will be higher than 55/75 for 80UMS.

If it is 55, then you will be looking at 71 - 100UMS; 63 - 90UMS; 47 - 70UMS

ReputationRep:
    How do think you did Arsey?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the exact date in march when the results get published?

ReputationRep:
    hang on. Firstly, i know that for g(x), x>1, BUT, the input for fg(x) is g(x), and is g(x)>1 ? I think not, therefore the range is surely fg(x)>=3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    No one will know the UMS conversions until the results come out. In my opinion this was far harder than any other previous C3 paper; typically C3 isn't that bad and C4 is very hard. I was worried it was going to a tricky paper because of the A* issue and the fact that all of the other papers so far had been pretty straight forward.

Maybe 52/75 is a bit too low but I doubt very much it will be higher than 55/75 for 80UMS.

I would be so happy if you were right, I think I got 73 or 74 :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)

I agree with out. The boundaries should not be over 56/75 for an A. I don't think June 2006 was as hard as this paper.

(Original post by Nast)
    When they want you to show it using the change of sign rule, they will say, "By choosing a suitable interval, prove...." if it doesn't specify (which it didn't) then its perfectly fine to do it the other way
    but if the solution is correct to 3dp the interval has to be between 2.0565 to 2.0575; this doesn't need to be stated it is basic Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    There's another way then: cot2x = 0

That's equal to cos2x/sin2x = 0

Thus you get cos2x = 0

and now that is definitely x= 45 and x= 135

Don't worry about it....like hardly any one got it so the grade boundaries would probably take off at least 2 marks to accommodate the loss
    turns out you're right and cot2x = 0 is valid. that's annoying, i was thinking of writing down 45 and 135.5 :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get 4 answers on the cot question - I put tan-1(0) into my calculator and it said math error, so I left it!

And I also got x>3 for the range.

Hopefully I got a C in that - I'm no math genius!

(Original post by Doughboy)
    I agree with out. The boundaries should not be over 56/75 for an A. I don't think June 2006 was as hard as this paper.
    agreed; however, it is worth remembering it doesn't matter how difficult any of us thought it was, it doesn't matter how it compares to papers in previous years. All that matters is how students have done on the paper this time. Some on here seem pretty confident they have done well. We'll see.

Not worth worrying about, nothing can be done about it now.

ReputationRep:
    hmm people at my school found it generally hard, i thought it was worse than the past papers i've done.

ReputationRep:
    i got 4/(9x+3)(x-1) for that first questions.Is that correct?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    11 march is the date for results

for the UMS not only is A boundary needed, so is the E boundary

ReputationRep:
    I found it exceptionally difficult.

Has the exam been released on the internet yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bab)
    i got 4/(9x+3)(x-1) for that first questions.Is that correct?
    yeah although you could've factorised the 3 in the denominator... dunno if they'll penalise you for that or not

ReputationRep:
    Hardest paper I've done so far. That was mean

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.