Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ugh, i'm so upset about the x=tan y one. wasted so much time trying to understand what it was about and how it fits into the first one, and it turns out to be so straight forward

GAAH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1234)
    Even though it specifically asked for it in the form 1/cos x?
    lol the question said secx can be written as 1/cosx, show that dy/dx=tanxsecx

no matter what way you do it! as long you get dy/dx=secxtanx you will get full mark, provided you show your method clearly and nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Paper was tricky, made som mistakes such as the 7 marker, I didn't think cot2x=0 would have solutions, and also the fg(x ) range where I put it >= 3. I guess the 100 percent was never meant to be. (theres always C4 )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    DOMAIN OF G(X) IS X>1
    yes I am well aware of that my obnoxious friend. BUT, is the domain of fg(x) x>1. No it isnt is it. You should be aware that g(e+1) = 1. Such that fg(e+1) = f(1) = 3 , when you apply it into the new composite function.

But I am indeed aware that the range probably is fg(x)>3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris_mon)
    I did that! I feel really silly now looking back at it. It could of cost me an A grade
    Everyone i talked to put the Tany thing back into the first equation...

Our only hopes for good grades are low grade boundaries because everyone fails...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris_mon)
    I did that! I feel really silly now looking back at it. It could of cost me an A grade
    fff meeee thats what i did, might of threw 5 or 4 marks away!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taherq)
    i might get 67/75 approximately how much will it be in UMS
    90+

Why were you worried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Everyone i talked to put the Tany thing back into the first equation...

Our only hopes for good grades are low grade boundaries because everyone fails...
    my mate treated as a separate question and showed me that she was right, ug it was so easy if they where to make it a bit more obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tlc-X3)
    me and half my class did that!
    i think it was a propper badly worded q! x
    (Original post by Nonbeatific)
    agree 100%
    sorry, how? it's clearly two separate parts of the question

ReputationRep:
    E-A-S-Y

Although Ive thrown away a few marks.

(I said that cot2x=0 has no solutions, only got up to ln(3X)+7x+2=ln(15) in 9i)b) aaand erm. drew the graph of f(x)+1, not f(-x)+1)

ReputationRep:
    i hated that log questions the one with 3 ^x ... ive looked at the unofficial markscheme and I started doing all that working then croseed it out !!! GRRRRR I do think it was a hard paper, especially compared to past papers and stuff.. tho I found out liek 5 minutes before that our teachers said we were "due for a hard one"

I agree that I found it as bad as C2 , tho the grade boundaries for C2 were:

A- 53
    B- 45
    C-38
    D-31
    E-24

:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    lol the question said secx can be written as 1/cosx
    not quite

to me, that's a strong indication they want you to write it as 1/cosx and use the quotient rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    90+

Why were you worried?
    IM NOT WORRIED , JUST ASKING

WAT ABOUT U HOW MUCH DO U EXPECT U WILL GET OUT OF 75

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john1234567)
    sorry, how? it's clearly two separate parts of the question

I get how they got it wrong, I mean first it asks you to calculate the DY/DX, then it asks you to show that DY/DX = 1/(1+x^2).
    If you're stressed and in a rush, you can easily get it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john1234567)
    not quite

to me, that's a strong indication they want you to write it as 1/cosx and use the quotient rule
    ok im not sure on that, either way as long as you get the answerr I don't see where the problem is??:confused: I've been always told that you can use whatever method suites you as long as it is clear and mathematically written then examiner will have no problem. I will prove you wrong when the examiner mark scheme comes out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    x
    Will you be doing the C4 paper on monday?

ReputationRep:
    i think i lost marks on the 9 b the differentiation. and on the find coordinates (a,b) question.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do the dx/dy x=tany question - I did dx/dy and wrote out an expression for dy/dx, so I guess I'll end up with 2/3 marks for that? Also, I only got 22.5 and 112.5? I think? For one of the questions, so lost a couple of marks there. Also, I think on one of the differentiation questions I wrote 2x^2 + 1 rather than multiplying and getting x^2(x^2+1). So I've lost like, one mark there I think. I'm not sure about hte rest, but think I did pretty alright. That was a horrible, horrible paper though. Given these flaws, any idea what I'll get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    ok im not sure on that, either way as long as you get the answerr I don't see where the problem is??:confused: I've been always told that you can use whatever method suites you as long as it is clear and mathematically written then examiner will have no problem. I will prove you wrong when the examiner mark scheme comes out
    You're right lol, you can do this question by quotient or product rule. It's all the same tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    that is a very kind post; however, I have absolutely no idea what all this rep business is about. Just trying to help and I also benefit from learning from your experiences of the paper(s).
    How do you think the paper compared to June 2006's paper? Do you think 73/74 would be sufficient for full UMS marks on this paper? (I know it's pretty hard to say, but the 100 UMS cap, for June 2006, was 70).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.