Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hard!! Nothing like the past papers i though which was very annoying!

Everyone i spoke to found it hard so i'm hoping grade boundaries are lowered.

ReputationRep:
    It was a challenging paper - but I wouldn't say it was that hard.
    Nothing on there was impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    the 100 UMS cap, for June 2006, was 70
    :eek3: i think i got 70-71 and this was definitely harder than june 2006

ReputationRep:
    can some1 give me the link to the solutions please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashfield777)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...5&d=1264067467 - Thanks to Arsey

Edit: See this thread for more discussion: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1158161
    According to that i've got 82%. If i have calculated that right i am made up with that!

ReputationRep:
    The x = tan y and that question with 3^x threw me for a while, but I solved them in the end. I too made the "cot2y = 0 has no solutions" mistake.

Overall, I think that was the hardest paper in a long time, and I think they were overcompensating for last year's, which was apparently very easy. Given this, I expect the UMS boundaries to be unusually low.

ReputationRep:
    That exam was soo confusing to understand. However, looking back it now it doesnt seem that hard. I hope they lower the grade boundaries... just to let every1 know that pretty much everyone in my year claim to have struggled with this exam so fingers crossed...!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    go to page 33

arsey has posted it

ReputationRep:
    sorry to go slightly off topic.. but is C4 meant to be just as hard? Or is it slightly easier... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dianadj)
    just to let every1 know that pretty much everyone in my year claim to have struggled with this exam so fingers crossed...!!!
    lol good times

ReputationRep:
    80 ums for June 06' was 56/75. Comparing both papers, I reckon 80 ums for this paper will lie somewhere in the early 50's/75.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks do you reckon I will drop for the following? Q7c I worked out that the min. point was either -/+0.196 but used the positive solution with its y equivalence. Q8 I left out cotx=0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbosss)
    hey i got sum answers :>

so a = -0.196

then put x = -0.196 into the original equation to find b = 0.812
    yep
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mazda12)
    sorry to go slightly off topic.. but is C4 meant to be just as hard? Or is it slightly easier... ?
    edexcel expects c4 to be done by last year's students who are not awarded A*, so it wont be hard
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by NAJC)
    How many marks do you reckon I will drop for the following? Q7c I worked out that the min. point was either -/+0.196 but used the positive solution with its y equivalence. Q8 I left out cotx=0.
    2 + 2

ReputationRep:
    i may sound stupid but i cant seem to find the link...its not on page 33..could you please post it here if im nt asking for too much ?

ReputationRep:
    i think i got 63, gosh it's gonna be tight, fingers crossed for 90 ums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john1234567)
    sorry, how? it's clearly two separate parts of the question

obviously, but when you first read ... given that x =...
    and that you just worked out dy/dx from part i) you can see how it looks like they are the you need part i) for ii). :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forstudents)
    i may sound stupid but i cant seem to find the link...its not on page 33..could you please post it here if im nt asking for too much ?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post23342433

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonbeatific)
    obviously, but when you first read ... given that x =...
    and that you just worked out dy/dx from part i) you can see how it looks like they are the you need part i) for ii). :confused:
    meh i guess. i just recognised that \frac {1}{1+x^2} is the derivative of arctanx, which is what the question is getting us to find, so i was just lucky i suppose although i don't think it would've confused me even if i hadn't known that lol

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.