Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonfigo)
    If you make like one mistake....could you get a hundred? One of my friends told me taht....though i don't see the reason
    Yes, you can at times. But the amount of raw marks you can lose (if you can, that is) will differ based on the grade boundaries (though I'm not sure how exactly it's calculated).

ReputationRep:
    all you did was stick the A boundaries in pie chart, we can see the boundaries will go down without having to do that...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    If an an A grade is not below 60 for this years paper, then Edexcel are mad. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    That was a simple graph my 6 year-old cousin could draw, couldn't understand it.

Also I highly doubt 67/75 is for an A. maybe for an A* for that unit but obviously we don't get A* for individual units. Just technically speaking.

ReputationRep:
    oh ffs, the trend in grade boundaries from previous years cannot be used to predict what it will be this time. There are many factors that come into play.

ReputationRep:
    i highly doubt tht the grade boundaries will be lower because the whole point of making the paper hard is bacause of the A* questions:ahhhhh: ..they dont want many people getting that grade then will be no point on introducing it anyway..:rant:

ReputationRep:
    I find this paper is easier than C2, how strange! (went through all solomon papers and did some elmwood papers)

Can someone tell me that grade boundaries may be lower? How does it work? I think I lost about 5-9 marks. I got the easiest questions wrong:

range of fg(x) is >= 4 => silly mistake!

3^xe^7x+1=15 => got the wrong answer but I can't remember what it is. It is not quite hard

Not too sure about the solutions of tan 2x = 0 (cot 2x = 0)

My targets for C4 and M1 are:

Go through all past papers, practice papers, solomon papers, elmwood papers and attend maths workshop everyday!

Desperate to get an A* , does anybody know how many marks to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAX Inc)
    Desperate to get an A* , does anybody know how many marks to get an A*?
    An A* depends on your combined C3 and C4 score so an unanswerable question. There is nobody on the planet who knows the grade boundaries. They havn't been decided yet and won't be until after the papers are marked and the examiners do their review. Of course people can speculate but you are just going to have to wait until March to find out how hard you'll have to work for C4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr18)
    i highly doubt tht the grade boundaries will be lower because the whole point of making the paper hard is bacause of the A* questions:ahhhhh: ..they dont want many people getting that grade then will be no point on introducing it anyway..:rant:
    i don't think that's true, because that wouldn't be fair to us - people who have done previous C3 exams can get an A* if they haven't certificated yet

ReputationRep:
    The point of an A* isn't to not let people get that grade - it's there for candidates who work very hard and feel they can achieve better than an A grade, in other words it rewards intelligence (and hard work), which is kinda related to going to college/6th form, to get more intelligent, certainly examiners set discriminating questions like (3^x)(e^(7x)+2)=15, but these questions are all covered in the C3 Unit (for Edexcel, anyway).

I'm convinced that it'll be over 63/64 to get an A on the paper, it was very, very easy for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Believe what you like but I am telling you the answer is >3 NOT >=3. I am not going to explain why again.

what you have linked is correct but that has not taken into account of the domain of the function g which matters!
    you are correct, the function can be rewritten as (x-1)^2 + 3, which has the range >3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by htn)
    you are correct, the function can be rewritten as (x-1)^2 + 3, which has the range >3
    how many marks you would lose if you wrote x>=3?

ReputationRep:
    Also on q4 i) i differentiate f(x) right but simplify it wrong. How many marks would i lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kd3239)
    1, lol

You'd probably lose two at most (maybe 1) for the mistake you made in simplification. I made that mistake too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Also on q4 i) i differentiate f(x) right but simplify it wrong. How many marks would i lose?
    if you stated the correct rule (product, quotient, etc), and you dy/dx'd correctly but just got it wrong, it then depends on the stage that you reached more than anything, where did you think you reached?

did you rearrange the function to form (x+1)^2 + 3 ? if so that will minimize any chance of big marks lost, only maybe A1 for the range not being > 3

my views on the paper were that the only 2 difficult questions were the question with cosec^2 2x - cot2x, this is a discrimination question ( in my view) because people are going to forget to write cot2x as cos2x/sin2x, which i did not forget to do, but i didn't write the solutions down as i forgot (...)

the second was 9)a)ii), a classic "stretch and challenge" question. should have been harder in my view

ReputationRep:
    Yes they always do put up a discriminating Question that separates the A* from the A - er.

ReputationRep:
    I was told Edexcel was a hard paper so I should imagine boundaries will be low.

OCR was a very difficult paper, so I can almost be sure that the boundaries are low.

On another note, OP, your name is just...:love:

:dancing:

ReputationRep:
    That question was the 7 mark question 8 and possibly the last part of question 9.

ReputationRep:
    Last years C2 paper,( June 2009) 52/53 was an A.... so people please dont be too put off!!! In taht paper too, if you got 71-75 raw marks you got 100 UMS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tqpbuildingbonds)
    Yes it does thanks a lot...
    i'm happy I got it right

How did you find the paper??
    I found it challenging, but doable. There were a few questions I'm still not sure about but I'm trying not to dwell on it. It's full-steam-ahead Physics revision time now, until my eyes start bleeding. :eek:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.