The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
A* grades DO NOT mean grade boundaries will be higher. Grade boundaries will be the same as they would of been any other year, but a certain amount of people, who get 90%+ can hope to get an A* overall.

Looking at the trends of previous papers is stupid. Each paper a certain % of people should get an A, which is how the grade boundaries are altered. I personally believe that:

100 % UMS = 70-71+
80% UMS (A) = 61-63+
lauram992
You have to remember that there are A*s this year so the grade boundaries will be higher regardless of the difficulty of the paper to filter out the A grade people from the A*s. So I think realistically an A* will be around 70-72 and an A will be 63-67?

That'll be unfair!!!!!:mad: :mad:
are u ******* serious?! i found the paper unusually tough.whereas i found s2 unusually easy. if the grade boundary is anything like 67/75 for an A , i am quite ******. :|
Reply 1223
67 for an A in June '09...but I remember that paper, it was exceptionally easy (not to sound arrogant), almost everyone in our class got A-A*.

It was my first 'A' on any C3 test too when I had it as a mock, since I got 82% in it. I'd have expected the A boundary to have been higher than 60 for it because it was so straightforward - relatively speaking compared to other C3 mocks I'd done.

The paper on wednesday was really hard, though. I reckon it'll be around 56-57 for an A
lauram992
You have to remember that there are A*s this year so the grade boundaries will be higher regardless of the difficulty of the paper to filter out the A grade people from the A*s. So I think realistically an A* will be around 70-72 and an A will be 63-67?

thats so not how it works, fortunately.
i did 4 solomons, 7 years' Edexcel past papers (7x2=14), yet i got a raw mark of 86% +, i.e. 65+ out of 75 in most of these papers i took as mocks. But i found this jan's exam quite tough tbh. Maybe it wasn't tough to the really smart ones around here, but even they have to agree it was lengthy and took a different path compared to the conventional c3 QP pattern over the last few years. I'm really hoping the grade boundary is low. not looking for a 90% at all. I'd be happy with a 70% because i have surplus marks elsewhere. But that too seems difficult to get with such high grade boundaries and given the fact that the lower your marks the less they get scaled up (from what i have seen in the UMS-Ready-Reckoner in Edexcel's website)
probably lost 4 marks. what will be my final UMS?
Reply 1227
I Have No Imagination
If an an A grade is not below 60 for this years paper, then Edexcel are mad. :bawling:

i sooooo agree :yep:
Reply 1228
just wanted to ask.. if it was an A for say 60.. so if you got 60 you would get 80UMS and work it from there?
Reply 1229
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
it was ok, mike! :jumphug: i'm hoping for 90+ UMS! what about you?

I think you and a couple of others here are right in saying this paper was not as difficult as people on here have convinced themselves that it was. People are comparing this to M1 on Jan '09. On M1 Jan '09, there was an 11 mark question that hardly anyone could answer at all. 11 marks! On this paper, there was a couple of really tough bits, 9ii for example. But I think that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves in thinking this paper will be low 50s for an A, I think this paper had easy bits and tough bits, I'm guessing around 57 for an A. 90 UMS will be around 65 I think.
Reply 1230
i dont understand what UMS marks are???
Reply 1231

:smile: i wrote that too
htn
if you stated the correct rule (product, quotient, etc), and you dy/dx'd correctly but just got it wrong, it then depends on the stage that you reached more than anything, where did you think you reached?

Like i said, i used the quotient rule and differentiate it correctly and got something over x^2. I should have just left it but it was worth 4 marks so i thought i have to simplify it. i should have multiply my answer by 1/x^2 not x^2. Cant believe i made that stupid mistake

did you rearrange the function to form (x+1)^2 + 3 ? if so that will minimize any chance of big marks lost, only maybe A1 for the range not being > 3

Yeah i did that and i thought that x>1 has nothing to do with the composite function so i crossed out my original answer fg(x) >= 4 and put 3 instead

my views on the paper were that the only 2 difficult questions were the question with cosec^2 2x - cot2x, this is a discrimination question ( in my view) because people are going to forget to write cot2x as cos2x/sin2x, which i did not forget to do, but i didn't write the solutions down as i forgot (...)

I got all the solution but one extra x=0 cos i solved for tan2x=0. I forgot that the graph y=cotx doesnt go though 0. Do you think the examiner might let this off considering it was a hard paper
Reply 1233
This thread is very silly. Are you trying to cause unnecessary panic?

One will probably need below 64 marks for an A.
john1234567
i don't think that's true, because that wouldn't be fair to us - people who have done previous C3 exams can get an A* if they haven't certificated yet

huh wait a minute, are you saying that if you've done Maths A level but you did it with the 'old' syllabus then you can still get an A* if you haven't certificated and get the required module grades?? source?
I didnt see this years exam specially hard... I dont know why so many people see it challenging when the only question which I didnt know how to do was the last one (the exponential part); the rest were fairly easy.

Also, every year we have access to more past papers and so we have more facilities, in order to make it fair to those who had very few (something which for example happens in FP1, 2 and 3 now for example) I think they do well in changing the exam style a little bit every year..
DLS
A* grades DO NOT mean grade boundaries will be higher. Grade boundaries will be the same as they would of been any other year, but a certain amount of people, who get 90%+ can hope to get an A* overall.

Looking at the trends of previous papers is stupid. Each paper a certain % of people should get an A, which is how the grade boundaries are altered. I personally believe that:

100 % UMS = 70-71+
80% UMS (A) = 61-63+

You 're predictions don't make sense at all. If 100 were 70-71 then the grade for an A would be much lower than 61-63. You're saying that 93% raw makrs will get 100% UMS, and 84% raw for 80% UMS.
i got 60/75 i hope the grade boundary is low or else i will end up with a B
[QUOTE="Kd3239"]
htn
if you stated the correct rule (product, quotient, etc), and you dy/dx'd correctly but just got it wrong, it then depends on the stage that you reached more than anything, where did you think you reached?

Like i said, i used the quotient rule and differentiate it correctly and got something over x^2. I should have just left it but it was worth 4 marks so i thought i have to simplify it. i should have multiply my answer by 1/x^2 not x^2. Cant believe i made that stupid mistake

did you rearrange the function to form (x+1)^2 + 3 ? if so that will minimize any chance of big marks lost, only maybe A1 for the range not being > 3

Yeah i did that and i thought that x>1 has nothing to do with the composite function so i crossed out my original answer fg(x) >= 4 and put 3 instead

my views on the paper were that the only 2 difficult questions were the question with cosec^2 2x - cot2x, this is a discrimination question ( in my view) because people are going to forget to write cot2x as cos2x/sin2x, which i did not forget to do, but i didn't write the solutions down as i forgot (...)

I got all the solution but one extra x=0 cos i solved for tan2x=0. I forgot that the graph y=cotx doesnt go though 0. Do you think the examiner might let this off considering it was a hard paper

I was so close to doing the same simplifying error as you did ie multiplying by x^2 but luckily i decided to leave it.
don't worry about changing your answer from >= 4 because that is just as wrong as >=3 it is a continuous graph not discrete.
If everyone got the questions wrong on tanx etc they might give a method mark (though i doubt it) or show it in reduced boundaries
klgyal
:smile: i wrote that too

It's wrong as Arsey explained but probably only 1 mark lost lol

Latest

Trending

Trending