Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oooh.....thanks for the reassurance Arsey...hope it is around 55!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Having spoken to my students I would be amazed if the boundary for 80UMS is anywhere near 60. I am going for 55/75. Initially, I thought lower, but in reflection there were quite a lot of easy marks/questions.
    what about 90 and 100?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john1234567)
    what about 90 and 100?
    90 UMS will probably be around 63/75.
    100 UMS will be around 72/75. (It's consistently around 72/73 for 100 UMS)

ReputationRep:
    On question one, I couldn't see it at first so I came back when I finished the paper. By that time I had realised 3X squared - 3 is 3(X+1)(X-1), bloody completed the question correctly and then at the end it didn't look like it was simplified enough! I quickly re did it, taking common factors out rather then cancelling (misinterpreting 3(X+1) being the same as 3X+1) and then crossed out the correct answer!! ****, I did really well otherwise but think i've probably wrecked chance of 80ums. prob get on mark max now then, for recognising 3x squared bit was 3(X+1)(X-1)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Optimus Johnson)
    On question one, I couldn't see it at first so I came back when I finished the paper. By that time I had realised 3X squared - 3 is 3(X+1)(X-1), bloody completed the question correctly and then at the end it didn't look like it was simplified enough! I quickly re did it, taking common factors out rather then cancelling (misinterpreting 3(X+1) being the same as 3X+1) and then crossed out the correct answer!! ****, I did really well otherwise but think i've probably wrecked chance of 80ums. prob get on mark max now then, for recognising 3x squared bit was 3(X+1)(X-1)
    i did that too then corrected it

ReputationRep:
    lets dance

ReputationRep:
    body popping body popping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tlc-X3)
    Because it says "given that"
    it seemed to suggest that you should sub in tany into where x is in the answer to the previous q!
    same i was :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    A very similar question was in a past paper!
    Really? :sigh: Oh well! retakes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tlc-X3)
    Because it says "given that"
    it seemed to suggest that you should sub in tany into where x is in the answer to the previous q!
    ahh i cannot believe that question :mad: !!! 5 really easy marks just wasted... i even had extra paper for it because i was trying to substitute x into a) haha oops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h-star)
    arctanx differentiates into 1/root x^2+1
    :nah:

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the paper?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mahvah)
    does anyone have the paper?
    check page 33

ReputationRep:
    i had the same problem with the tany=x question aswell, stupid exam board, is it possible that they may cite a problem with the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisharb)
    i had the same problem with the tany=x question aswell, stupid exam board, is it possible that they may cite a problem with the question?
    Doesn't matter, they'll lower grade boundaries regardless, as long as many others had a similar problem such as I :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisharb)
    No, it's a perfectly fine C3 question and similar ones have appeared on previous C3 papers. Just because people couldn't do the question, even though it's in the specification, doesn't mean they're going to omit the question.

It was actually a pretty straight-forward example of that type of question, all you needed to know was that 1 + tan^2x = sec^2x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    No, it's a perfectly fine C3 question and similar ones have appeared on previous C3 papers. Just because people couldn't do the question, even though it's in the specification, doesn't mean they're going to omit the question.

It was actually a pretty straight-forward example of that type of question, all you needed to know was that 1 + tan^2x = sec^2x.
    Its not that, its the fact that people thought that part of the question related to the first part, and so people subbed in x=tany into the equation in the first part it said "Given that x= tany" and tried differntiating it. I have done a lot of past papers and I have hardly seen a question like that, Ive only seen a question like that in a solomon paper, and one in a Jan06 paper.

ReputationRep:
    agree with samir12, i can do that question if it wasnt so damn ambiguous

ReputationRep:
    Heyy
    Having looked at the answers on page 33 i'm pretty sure I got 34/75. This is a retake for me and last year I got 36 ums. I literally need one ums mark to get a D overall so i have 260 UCAS points to go to uni! Does anyone think 34/75 will be more than 36 ums?? So worried. Revised so much for this exam but completly froze and forgot pretty much everything...looking at the questions and answers, they really wern't as hard as I thought they were which sucks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sachagaray)
    Heyy
    Having looked at the answers on page 33 i'm pretty sure I got 34/75. This is a retake for me and last year I got 36 ums. I literally need one ums mark to get a D overall so i have 260 UCAS points to go to uni! Does anyone think 34/75 will be more than 36 ums?? So worried. Revised so much for this exam but completly froze and forgot pretty much everything...looking at the questions and answers, they really wern't as hard as I thought they were which sucks.
    hell yes.......should be more like 40-45 UMS....imo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.