Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie_91)
    lol i need 100 in c4 to get an A*. maybe i should resit c3. does anyone know if the c3 resit will be on the same day as c4? because if so cba with resit...
    It's not on the same day I think it's a couiple of days before.

ReputationRep:
    Could anybody help me with trigonometry and differentiation for C3? I'm self-studying for the may/june exams, and I'm really having troubble with that. **
    thanks to anyone that considers it xD
    please quote me, it makes it easier to find you
    I can help with S1 or FP1 (or C1, though why a C3 person would need that is beyond me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    Could anybody help me with trigonometry and differentiation for C3? I'm self-studying for the may/june exams, and I'm really having troubble with that. **
    thanks to anyone that considers it xD
    please quote me, it makes it easier to find you
    Well post questions and I'm sure someone will help

ReputationRep:
    If I don't retake C3 which I will, I need 74 in both M2 and C4 for an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    I got 81 in C3! Compared to all of you it sounds bad, haha, but seeing as I got 65 and 69 in C1 and C2 first time round, and my teacher predicted me "nothing higher than 50" in C3, i'm really pleased! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    Let me just uncheck 'use Thesaurus for big words to sound smarts' for you.

Everyone has different standards, and not everyone is going to be happy with what they get. Some are going to be overly happy. That's life. It's the nature of a forum to say how you feel, because you don't know these people. If he had said that to someone in real life who had just scraped a C, THAT would be insensitive, but it's a fact of life that someone is always going to do better. Does that person who got a C live in a bubble where they got the best result in the world? No, so why would they care what someone on a forum frequented by hundreds of thousands of students say?

There's no reason white-knighting when nobody needs defending, and if anything, it makes you look like a jackass who is jealous of his score, even if you did supposedly get 99/100.
    I'm sorry if my use of sesquipedalians seemed rather excessive to you. I apologise profusely in fact.... your accusation of using a thesaurus is completely unfounded.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Someone who did poorly really doesn't need someone like the original idiot, I have to specify because there really are too many of you, to start spouting off insensitive remarks about a rather glaringly good mark. Who am I defending? You're the one doing the defending here, I was just telling someone to shut the **** up.

I can scan my results to you if you REALLLY REAALLLYY WAAANNNTT but all that would happen is that you would feel like a ****, not saying you don't already, and that you would realise that everything you have said has been mere speculation. I did get 99 whether you want to believe it or not. If I didn't do too well and saw his post, it would annoy me but I know if in that position I said anything, then people would just say that I'm jealous, which probably would be true in that case. In this case, I have no motives for jealously and therefore it shows that I am just speaking out because he is a ****.

I will now declare to you what I did to him in the nicest possible way, please go the **** away and stop attempting to revive this.

ReputationRep:
    AHHH soo dissappointed with my result!!!! C (67/100) in C3 maths!!! even scrapin a B woulda made me happy! Neway ders always June resits!!! neone else pissed with their results???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timsquirrell)
    Based on this: http://www.edexcel.com/notices/Pages/a-star-grade.aspx

I think it's based on all 3 units of your A2 whether you get an A* or not. They don't mention any exceptions for mathematics, so it would seem like it's straight 270/300. Can anyone back up/refute this?
    I think you're mistaken!
    For anyone that isn't sure, For A*it's 180ums from C3 + C4 and 480ums minimum overall from the whole A-level so your third A2 unit doesn't matter.

I got 100ums though :thumbsup: so happy :jive: congrats to everyone that got A's as well :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the C3 resit is on the same day as C4.

ReputationRep:
    83......It means I only need a C in C4 and a C in S2 for an A, but I'm not too happy with it.

(Original post by Doughboy)
    I simply meant that the Maths syllabus was not changed. Therefore, people are being given the opportunity to convert A*-deserving As into A*s. And that makes perfect sense too. I mean some people could have easily completed the full Maths A Level course in the 2008-2009 academic year with A* potential, but they were only award a mere A.

I read this somewhere. As soon as I find the source, I will link you.
    I see what you mean; yes anyone getting an 180 UMS or more in C3 and C4 would have got an A* in previous years had it been available. However, was hardly a 'mere' A as an A was the maximum grade available at the time.

This also answers the question above.

Decisions on retakes are always awkward; you have to weigh up the extra revision time against the potential benefit. Time spent revising for C3 could negatively impact C4. My advice would be not to retake C3 if you have already achieved over 90. If you can get over 90 on that paper in Jan, you should be able to get over 90 on C4 in June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11Stardust11)
    It's not on the same day I think it's a couiple of days before.
    C3 is on the 15th of June, and C4 is on the 18th.

I have to resit this bloody C3 paper...disappointed with 72. I thought I did better

ReputationRep:
    :puppyeyes: I only got 70, definitely retaking

ReputationRep:
    What mark overall do you need to get an A for Alevel maths ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klgyal)
    What mark overall do you need to get an A for Alevel maths ???
    480 / 600

ReputationRep:
    Wow, theres some Maths boffins on here, i'm very jealous of you! Theres a lot of talk about A*s going around, does anybody need one for uni or is it just a pride thing?

Has anybody been able to find official grade boundaries on the edexcel website?

ReputationRep:
    For Mathematics A level:

To get an A, 480/600

To get an A* At least 480/600 and over 90% in C3 C4

Here is the official 'Edexcel' markscheme.

All of those who were insisting that on q9. the final range was greater than or equal to 3 and not as I had just greater than 3.... should check it out.

(sorry in advance for being petty but I remember it getting a little tiresome explaining exactly why it was just >3 and some still insisted it was >=3)
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 06b C3 January 2010 mark scheme.pdf (152.0 KB, 111 views)

[QUOTE=typewriter
    does anyone know which raw marks correspond to which ums mark?[/QUOTE]

(Original post by natalie_gs)
    you can work it out yourself, say you got 80 UMS than  \frac{80}{100} = 0.8 multiply that by 75, as the paper is out of 75 marks and you will get 60 raw marks.

edit: Might be wrong though!
    Not that simple, you need to look at the conversion table.

100 = 73-75
    99 = 72
    97 = 71
    96 = 70
    94 = 69
    93 = 68
    91 = 67
    90 = 66
    89 = 65
    87 = 64
    86 = 63
    84 = 62
    83 = 61
    81 = 60

there was a formula on excel someone posted using the boundary for an E an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Here is the official 'Edexcel' markscheme.

All of those who were insisting that on q9. the final range was greater than or equal to 3 and not as I had just greater than 3.... should check it out.

(sorry in advance for being petty but I remember it getting a little tiresome explaining exactly why it was just >3 and some still insisted it was >=3)
    I think we got over that. Thanks though

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.