Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help me out with a question I have.

I'm from Ireland (the south) and I intended to apply to study in the UK for the next academic year but it seems I'm too late. In ireland we have until June to complete our equivalent to the UCAS application procedure and hence I wasn't aware of the impending deadline. I only realised it when I started looking into it yesterday.

Anyway, I see on the UCAS site that it says: "if you are applying from outside the UK or EU, whatever your nationality, you need to be aware of the three application deadlines but many universities and colleges will consider your application up until 30 June 2010".

So, my question, do I need to rush my application now and attempt to produce a confused application by friday night or can I hold off a few weeks and actually do a bit of research into where I want to go? I've no real clue between the different universities, haven't gotten a reference yet (I'm applying as an individual) and am not familiar at all with the system. I definitely would not like to leave it till next year. If it makes any difference I've already done the Irish equivalent to A levels (the leaving cert) and gotten my results.

Any info would be really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    ring the universities you are thinking of applying to and see what you can do

ReputationRep:
    They'll consider them but they're not under any obligation to do so, and they won't give them the same consideration in a lot of cases. . I'm from Dublin, so it was a bit of a pain in the arse getting the ps and everything done, but I'd try and get it in for Friday if you can. .

ReputationRep:
    International students pay a fortune for their tuition and their numbers aren't capped by the government. I think they'll be delighted to consider you at any time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    International students pay a fortune for their tuition and their numbers aren't capped by the government. I think they'll be delighted to consider you at any time.
    He's not an international student. As he's from Ireland he'll still pay home fees.

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks for those quick replies. It's a totally different set up to what I know and I'm overloading on various streams of info at the moment. My own fault I accept.

: ) Important questiopn (for me anyway!): If I was to apply late and hope for the best, do I still do that via UCAS or directly through the university? I didn't think you'd ever apply by directly appealing to the university?! If UCAS, is it the exact same procedure (register -which I've done- then fill out courses, reference etc and submit) just that I'm doing it later than I should?

appologies for the questions but any help would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winston9)
    ok, thanks for those quick replies. It's a totally different set up to what I know and I'm overloading on various streams of info at the moment. My own fault I accept.

: ) Important questiopn (for me anyway!): If I was to apply late and hope for the best, do I still do that via UCAS or directly through the university? I didn't think you'd ever apply by directly appealing to the university?! If UCAS, is it the exact same procedure (register -which I've done- then fill out courses, reference etc and submit) just that I'm doing it later than I should?

appologies for the questions but any help would be great.
    Yes, you would apply through UCAS but you would no longer be guaranteed to be considered equally with those who applied before the deadline. It would be down to the uni as to whether they want to take you or consider your application.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, would it make sense to contact the universities and see if they would consider my application before putting any particular place down to limit the possibility of rejection? Would/could they say either way? I would have thought not but it seems I've been wrong about a few things!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by winston9)
    hmmm, would it make sense to contact the universities and see if they would consider my application before putting any particular place down to limit the possibility of rejection? Would/could they say either way? I would have thought not but it seems I've been wrong about a few things!
    You could try that, but unless a university has a policy of not accepting any late applications at all, they'll probably all reply saying they'll consider your application (which won't tell you much about how great your chances of getting an offer actually are, though). So this will only work for eliminating universities which have already filled all their places, but it won't necessarily limit the possibility of getting rejections, if that makes any sense.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.