Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, I was just wondering does anyone know if it would be possible for student finance to loan me more money as my circumstances have changed since I applied???

I currently receive student loans, grants etc where the amount I get is based on my mums income as I was living with her until recently. I have been living with friends for a few months now but I hate being a burden on someone else and want to get my own accomodation sorted out!! I obviously don't have enough money from the loans and stuff I already get to be able to afford to rent anywhere.

Any help is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Unless you've been away from home for 3 years or can prove you are estranged from your mum you're stuck on being assessed on her income.

ReputationRep:
    nah, most students don't live at home and there is a larger loan for those living away from home but you still wont get enough to rent somewhere of your own most probably unless its a halls type situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, about another £800 max.

ReputationRep:
    So if the rent is say £350 a month excluding bills u don't think I could afford it?

ReputationRep:
    How much loan and grant have you been awarded so far?

If you let me know I can probably work out how much more you will get and then you can do yourself a budget planner and work out if you can afford to move out

ReputationRep:
    I've been given £6640 for this year, thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Dawg)
    I've been given £6640 for this year, thanks for your help!
    Could you break that down for me?

i.e.

1. Fee Loan
    2. Maintenance Loan
    3. Maintenance Grant

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes I get the following:

Tuition Fee Loan: £1275

Maintenence Loan: £2459

Maintence Grant: £2906

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Dawg)
    Yes I get the following:

Tuition Fee Loan: £1275

Maintenence Loan: £2459

Maintence Grant: £2906

You'll get £5365 a year directly into your bank account (in three installments throughout the university year). Assuming that you treat this as money to last you twelve months, it will cover you for £447 a month.

To have it as £447 a month, of course, you will have to have the self-control to limit your spending.

On a very basic level, living alone, you'll have the following bills to pay (given with high estimates):

Rent: £350
    Utilities: Water/Electricity/Gas: £70
    Internet/Phone: £10
    TV: £15

As a student, you'll be exempt from council tax payments at the moment, so you could, essentially, cover your rent and bills with your loan money and some careful budgeting to cover the fact that it's given in installments and that bills may not be charged month by month.

You'll need a job, really, to cover other costs including food, leisure and course payments.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.