Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medical Rejections - Am I in the wrong here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically my friend got rejected from liverpool and keeps going on about it and I told her, like y'know it could be for a number of reasons, who knows, and then they were all 'yes but they said I didn't do enough in the community, BUT I'VE VOLUNTEERED FOR 7 MONTHS', to which I basically said well, yknow, you don't know who you were up against, someone might have done 2 or 3 years blarblarblr to which I got "YES BUT I'VE WORKED HARD FOR THIS".

Hasn't everyone else? I sad perhaps she should accept it and move on but shes all IM APPEALING IT THE HEAD OF BIOLOGY SAYS SO, I CANT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT TO ME.

Am I being a bit unreasonable in what I said? I got rejected from Leeds, I thought I had done a lot, good grades, volunteering etc. etc. etc. yet you take it with a pinch of salt (+ the attitude that it's their loss ).

I just feel totally judged/victimised just because I said something contrary to her SET IN STONE opinion that the rejection was wrong :p:

Apart from that, it also begs the question is it fair that people should appeal rejections like that? She's clearly hung up she didn't get in, surely an appeal would be a waste of time. + I didn't go crying to the head of biology i got rejected from Leeds, is it fair she potentially gets another chance just because she can't accept she, essentially, wasn't good enough?

ReputationRep:
    nope you wernt unreasonable, but probly best to leave her to it and stop saying anything! shes obviously upset about it and dosnt realise how competitive and sometimes unfair medical admissions is! i got rejected from leeds with good grades, load sof volenteering, w/e and e/cs, but youve just got to accept it really and focus on your others!
    as for apeals, i didnt really know you could do that!

ReputationRep:
    i think you're being completely reasonable

she needs to accept it and move on, the medical field is full of extremely intelligent and hard working people, going crazy about being rejected from uni is hardly the kind of personality that will impress a university, or indeed a desirable trait in a doctor.

good on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    nope you wernt unreasonable, but probly best to leave her to it and stop saying anything! shes obviously upset about it and dosnt realise how competitive and sometimes unfair medical admissions is! i got rejected from leeds with good grades, load sof volenteering, w/e and e/cs, but youve just got to accept it really and focus on your others!
    as for apeals, i didnt really know you could do that!
    see I didn't think you could appeal either - how would admissions tutors ever leave uni if they dealt with appeals as well :p:

I think its more the head of bio will write a letter complaining they were unfair. Most likely itll be a generic 'every year we get many highly skilled applicants' kinda letter, telling her to basically eff off :p:

ReputationRep:
    Totally reasonable thing to say, but some people are a little more sensitive than others - especially during the (exam) period and UCAS application process.

ReputationRep:
    she needs time to chill, of all the unis I would say Liverpool are on of the fairest in terms of admissions.

ReputationRep:
    volunteering for 7 months is what load of peeple do, not even to get into medicine, but continually as part of their lives, often alongside proper jobs, not twiddling their thumbs whilst sitting round studying fo A lvls.

so i really feel, and all adults woud agree, that shes not worked 'hard' at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, i think you were being reasonable..
    Getting rejected from at least one medical school is more or less a definite thing for the majority of applicants, and she needs to get over this and move on. Hopefully she'll get over it soon enough, but if she keeps on bugging you about it tell her to call the med school and ask if there were any other reasons that prevented her from getting a place?

ReputationRep:
    Entirely reasonable. If she does appeal, I would have thought this would actually just make her look a little worse, since it looks like she has a bit of an ego problem given that she's not willing to simply accept that there are better applicants out there. As others have said, just because she's done 7 months volunteering - I worked in the NHS for 5 years, and I still wouldn't be surprised if I got rejected by at least one uni!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh she sounds like a nightmare to be honest! I think you dealt with her a lot better than I would have. Pathetic, tell her to get over herself and the rejection.

Having said that, I've overreacted to a few things in the last couple of weeks... exams + UCAS + interviews = a tetchy Lekky

ReputationRep:
    what's the point in appealing when the uni are just going to say no all over again? Wouldn't that just make her more upset?

She needs to move on to be honest. Have the "their loss" attitude and concentrate on the other 3...

ReputationRep:
    Does she not realise that different Unis look for different things? My mate is going for medicine and has an offer from Cambridge of all places, yet he was rejected by Nottingham. Expecting to get into a course so competitive seems a bit arrogant to me. I think you're in the right.
    :-)

ReputationRep:
    I think you're being reasonable but perhaps a bit insensitive.

ReputationRep:
    well said, Sap.

ReputationRep:
    you have to remember, universities like diversity, volunteering at 3 different places for 3 months is better then volunteering at 1 place for 9 months, i know someone who got rejected purely because of that. volunteering at different places offers different experiences, ask you friend about that, and she has to remember there are bound to be people who did even more volunteering and got better grades, i mean i know the offer will always be AAB (for the majority, but it will always stick with what unis state), but im predicted AAAAA, and in my p.s i talked about being able to handle heavily workloads (one of the reasons i took 5 , actually very easy as long as you organised). but even though the offer will be AAB, imagine if there is 1 last place left, and me and 1 other candidate got the same exact volunteering amount, same gcse grades, we both talked about handling heavy work loads but the only thing separating us is that i take 5 a-levels. seems unfair doesnt it but if thats the only thing separtin us out (imagine if it was like Leicester where interviews are scored, and we got the same)what choice do they have to make.

btw everyone gets upset with a rejection, its natural you just have to tell her their are still more left, in the end its only 1 medical school you can go to. but its just the fear that 1 uni decided to do it, she has to remeber that each uni is different and prioritises different aspects, i know for a fact that some people picked unis at the last minute with out researching them, causing quick rejections. with good research they can be aviodied although its very difficult but possible to not get any.for example even if you got 6A* which is great, not knowing b'ham want 8 will cause a rejection, while other unis prioritises a-levels more or the ukcat etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Veterinary medicine, so obviously it is a bit different, but I have had 2 rejections (one straight out, one post interview) so far, and a medic in my class had a straight out Notts rejection. At the end of the day, we have all worked extremely hard, but there are more good applicants than there are places, and if I don't get in this year, I will re-apply with an improved application and hopefully get a couple of bright and shiny unconditionals! I'm not entirely sure why I got straight out rejected, but all unis look for different types of people, and I probably wasn't suited to their Uni, or something! You aren't being unreasonable at all, I think you have to take medicine and vet applications with a pinch of salt, and you only need one offer!!! Tell her to keep positive, there is no point whatsoever in dwelling over something she can do nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    No, she seems like a bit of a drama-queen tbh; just give her some time to come to terms with it.
    And there's no need to feel like she's fighting her case and you're not fighting yours (against Leeds); I doubt she's going to get another chance at liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notepad)
    No, she seems like a bit of a drama-queen tbh; just give her some time to come to terms with it.
    And there's no need to feel like she's fighting her case and you're not fighting yours (against Leeds); I doubt she's going to get another chance at liverpool.
    oh no, i don't feel like we're fighting cases, it was just the whole over-reaction of her. me stating my case was basically trying to show her that we're in the same boat, so it's not like woe is her/the world is against her, its just a fact of life, so theres no use her getting overly worked up over it :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think you were in the right. Lol this thread is full of the legendary medicine posters that I see everywhere...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TENDYRAAA!)
    oh no, i don't feel like we're fighting cases, it was just the whole over-reaction of her. me stating my case was basically trying to show her that we're in the same boat, so it's not like woe is her/the world is against her, its just a fact of life, so theres no use her getting overly worked up over it :p:
    I meant, you might feel a little: "oh, look what she's doing, she's going slightly crazy and telling the world about her rejection and trying to appeal; maybe I should do that? :unsure:" But there's no point since liverpool won't care, @[email protected]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.