Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to University, but don't know what to study. I know it may seem a little early (1st year college) but i want to get some relevant work exp/volunteering.

Lately i've been thinking Dance/Creative writing, but god knows where that'll leave me... Im a good dancer, but never done ballet or anything like that. I've looked into all sorts that interest me, like criminology, but I cant see myself doing ANYTHING full time, or a degree in a particular subject leading me anywhere.

Advice?
    Sorry for the stupidly long post.

(Doing AS dance, eng lang, psychology and biology)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat, first year of sixth form though. I do business, psychology and english literature (just dropped biology)

But yes, I totally agree with you, was thinking about doing English as it is a solid subject, but could turn out to be such a waste of time and money, and I don't have a huge passion for it

ReputationRep:
    Im in my first year at college too! Glad it's not just me!

I wanted to drop Bio but they wouldnt let me >< So hard and not overly exciting lol.

I'm thinking about creative writing/english language... but i dont like all the "history of the english language" that comes with it...

ReputationRep:
    Which of your AS subjects do you like best?

And basically just having a good degree means you're likely to get better job prospects etc etc you dont have to do a job which is particularly related.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see what you mean... I love dance, and English lang (minus the history). Danced all my life, but never ballet or anything like that so, that kind of leaves me at a disadvantage i think. But English i can't see me putting everything into it full time...

Maybe i'll try something new like criminolgy? But then, I might hate it for 3 years lol.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I was considering criminology too!
    I think it would be really interesting, but I'm not so sure about jobs at the end of it, may be quite depressing.

Could teach dance?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a performing arts/theatre course, OP?

ReputationRep:
    Im not really into theatre though... just pure dance. Dance teacher would be awesome, but that takes years, and i could do that without a degree with my own dance qualifications.

But yeah criminology i was like WOW! But yeah maybe depressing... isnt it very psychological though? like psychology?

ReputationRep:
    Sunderland do a joint degree in dance and criminology.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds prettyy cool, but i'd fell like im getting like half a degree in each, and i really wanted to stay near home Think im gonna have to do a lot of thinking...

ReputationRep:
    You could do Psychology (or Dance and Criminology or just Dance) and then train as a Dance Therapist.

e.g. at Roehampton

You could probably study Dance Therapy directly somewhere (as an undergraduate degree), but it is very specific and I THINK you'd have to training afterwards anyway, so I'd recommend a more general undergraduate degree first.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound a bit stupid, but have a look on the UCAS course search, where it says search by subject. Theres alphabetical lists of every single course. Have a trawl through them and see if one particularly takes your fancy? Worked for me

ReputationRep:
    If you're so unsure about what you want to do, are you sure you want to go?

Don't go for the sake of it. University isn't a requirement or a necessity, and if you take another route and then realise that you want to attend university and do a specific course, you can do so at any age.

ReputationRep:
    Anthropology!

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe train to be a fitness instructor, do a degree with something to do with fitness or exercise? Sorry I'm just assuming now you are a practical person

ReputationRep:
    You should use the search function for criminology - i think neither of you would actually want to do it and that degree itself will only let you get generic jobs that require a degree, not something specific. Its regularly stated that a high percentage of people applying for this option do so because theyve watched tv shows and havent properly researched this area.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend doing creative writing and none of his modules are history of writing and alot of people do dance/drama with it. Yeh criminology would be very psychology-y.

ReputationRep:
    Go to some open days and see what your options are. I live on the wilts/hants border and ive just applied to do criminology- try looking at Southampton, uwe, surrey, cardiff, london unis. if you wanna stay around here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ive been thinking about criminology a lot... Jennie ive never seen any tv show like csi and stuff like that, unless its been on in the background or somthing. I think the bill is the closest i've come on the off that its on lol.

But yeah ucas website has been useful, i just cant decide. But i definately want to go to university, and do something around one of those areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    Go to some open days and see what your options are. I live on the wilts/hants border and ive just applied to do criminology- try looking at Southampton, uwe, surrey, cardiff, london unis. if you wanna stay around here.
    Hey what made you choose criminolgy in the end over psychology, and how the applying going?

(I dropped out of birmingham just after you earlier in the year )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.