Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just need to clarify:

Universties look at the applicants AS Grades?

I am trying to drop Spanish AS because:

I dont enjoy it
    I find it very difficult
    I am getting UCs all the time
    I feel upset by it and my other subjects (Bio, Chem and Physics) are suffering
    My sciences are very demanding and I need to focus on them
    I am clear in my future - Zoology

My Head of Year is ademant I dont drop even though he knows I have through long and hard about this and am doing the best for my future. He says I have to do 4 because 3 will put my at a huge disadvantage (even if I get better science grades due to dropping) and that universities will look at my AS grades and give me a conditional offer bases on them.

I know that four is better - however at the rate I am going I am going to get -A in Bio, C in Chem, E/D in Physics and U in Spanish

Surely 3 better grades - hopefully - AAB, ABB, ACC or ABC would be better than ACDU?

ReputationRep:
    He's right that you'll be at a disadvantage with three AS levels, but then you'll probably be at an even bigger disadvantage with grades ACD. Could you keep doing Spanish, but keep the amount of work you do on it down so that it doesn't affect the other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    its your choice.... if you are finding it affects your other subject so much then drop it.... if you get 3 good ASs then it shouldnt affect your application.

ReputationRep:
    I could still do spanish but I feel it makes me anxious, emotional and really distracted at it like a little irritating bug at the back of my mind and I hate doing the miniumum work.

I know 4 is better than 3 in terms of AS Levels. However, I am so clear in my future and want to do Zoology so badly and I will not get decent grades in the sciences if I continue with Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    How about you "carry on" but effectively give up on it? Go to lessons, but don't do any outside work - just concentrate on your sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrancesO)
    How about you "carry on" but effectively give up on it? Go to lessons, but don't do any outside work - just concentrate on your sciences.
    because surely its better to drop it and save time than to waste time in lessons and end up with a U?

ReputationRep:
    I hate just 'cruising'. I dont want a bad relationsip with my teacher and the school, and our teacher puts pressure on us with the exam and I want to be out of them subject. It is a complete waste of my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria13)
    because surely its better to drop it and save time than to waste time in lessons and end up with a U?
    S/he says they're going to get a U anyway, and trying to do better is bringing down the other subjects. If they're not allowed to drop it, I think this would be better than trying and getting low grades in the important subjects because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrancesO)
    S/he says they're going to get a U anyway, and trying to do better is bringing down the other subjects. If they're not allowed to drop it, I think this would be better than trying and getting low grades in the important subjects because of it.
    ok i agree with that... but surely the school cant stop them dropping it if they really want too....OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria13)
    ok i agree with that... but surely the school cant stop them dropping it if they really want too....OP?
    It's sounds like she's in a sixth form, I think they're a lot more strict about that kind of thing than colleges?

ReputationRep:
    My mother rang: Cardiff, Bangor and Aberystwyth, all are universities I am planning on applying for.

All 3 Universities Admission Tutors said that the fourth AS was not looked at, that my sciences are perfect and they think it is silly of the school to be forcing me if it is bringing me down.

What they are interested in are the sciences.

But my Head of Year thought differently...

ReputationRep:
    I am in a sixth form. Beginning to wish I had never chosen to come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starsandpearls)
    I am in a sixth form. Beginning to wish I had never chosen to come
    just drop it seriously... tell the head of year its your life and its your decision.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.