Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I'm looking for a new phone with really good internet. I'm thinking about the iPhone or a Blackberry, and I can't decide which one! I am completely tied, the iPhone has many more uses, but then the blackberry has push email. Agh! Can someone help?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rgardiner8)
    Hi guys!

I'm looking for a new phone with really good internet. I'm thinking about the iPhone or a Blackberry, and I can't decide which one! I am completely tied, the iPhone has many more uses, but then the blackberry has push email. Agh! Can someone help?

Thanks
    I get my e-mail pushed to my iPhone

ReputationRep:
    You can't beat a BlackBerry for email, well the iPhone certainly doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm OK so conflicting views again! This is tougher than i thought..

ReputationRep:
    Hmm OK so conflicting views again! This is tougher than i thought..
    I wouldn't say conflicting. While it may be possible to set up push email on an iPhone, one of the main attributes and what the BlackBerry is famous for are its email capabilities. Even the majority of iPhone owners would agree that BlackBerry has superior email than iPhone. eg you can set up upto eight accounts on your push email, typing up emails is arguably far easier on a proper keyboard than touch screen etc

However aside from email, the iPhone is also a great phone with a extensive range of fun / interesting / clever apps which you won't really get with BlackBerry (there are some).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    I wouldn't say conflicting. While it may be possible to set up push email on an iPhone, one of the main attributes and what the BlackBerry is famous for are its email capabilities. Even the majority of iPhone owners would agree that BlackBerry has superior email than iPhone. eg you can set up upto eight accounts on your push email, typing up emails is arguably far easier on a proper keyboard than touch screen etc

However aside from email, the iPhone is also a great phone with a extensive range of fun / interesting / clever apps which you won't really get with BlackBerry (there are some).
    But then I have also been told that its the keys that let the Blackberry down by friends, which I suppose the Blackberry Storm eliminates.

ReputationRep:
    The Stig, is defo right. If you want the phone just for e-mail the blackberry kicks the **** out of the iPhone (well maybe not that extreme but it's better due to keyboard etc...).
    But depending on what you want to do the iPhone is better. I'd say you should try both for at least a couple of hours to get an idea of what you want.

There's just no way around it keyboard>touch>poo>numpad for emailing

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I think I will go for the Blackberry the many email accounts are a brill feature.

ReputationRep:
    But then I have also been told that its the keys that let the Blackberry down by friends, which I suppose the Blackberry Storm eliminates.
    Keys are fine from my experience, I also know many people with BlackBerrys and no ones complained about the keys being to small (they have complained about the trackballs, but as the new ones have touchpads that problem is eliminated). You should have a go on one for yourself to see if you like the keyboard.

I don't know much about the Storm, never been a big fan of touch screen BlackBerry. I feel they are just trying to compete with the iPhone, and with the first Storm being rubbish they didn't succeed. If your going to go for a Storm then you may aswell get the iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    I have always prefered keys, and if the majority find them fine maybe my friends just have abnormally big finger tips! Vodafone have some good deals so I will proberbly go with them. Thank you for all your advice!

ReputationRep:
    iphone has push email too,
    honestly iPhone will come in handy more, e-mail is amazing on it and my typing and accuracy is better than people on blackberrys. iPhone > Blackberry

ReputationRep:
    I know the iPhone does have very useful apps on it. This is impossible, i think i have made my mind up then it changes.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same dilemma because i needed E-mail to, but then i thought if im going to get a blackberry then it's just the same as my other phone except it can do email and has the label "blackberry". Because lots of people are like "oh yeah im ill call you from my black berry" when really it's just a phone with good email things.
    iPhone will continually impress you as more and more updates become available. Defiantly would never consider a new phone, and when my friend was trying to prove how blackberries are superior, he finally agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Have a HD2, iPhone 3G and a BB. BB is the best for typing. But isnt compatible with all email. i.e, your uni has to have a BB server for BB's to be compatible. And BB's cant just use POP3 or IMAP, so if your uni email isnt supported, you can't get it.
    My iPhone and HD2 however both support push and IMAP/POP3 so I gave up on my bb and have those 2 instead. However, E71/E72 are both excellent.
    And the keys on the curve 8520 are horrible. Makes me cry when i use it. Its like why did you make keys the size of 4 pinheads, then have huge gaps between them? The Bold and Bold2 keys are epic though (I had a Bold)

And tbh iPhone and HD2 (or andriod phones, or any touchscreen phones you consider) will probably be less accurate to type on (because of the minimal tactile feedback) but, they have excellent predictive/corrective software built in to reverse that.

ReputationRep:
    Heard good things about the Nexus 1, but since I have an iPhone I'd say get one of them. I have 5 email accs (3 Corp 2 Personal) synced to my phone and it connects to my POP3 servers for updates on the hour, every hour (you can change how often this occurs anyway). Images and layouts are displayed properly and to be honest, I prefer the wider touch keyboard over a cramped BlackBerry QWERTY.

However, since I don't own a BlackBerry and have only ever used one in the O2 shop I couldn't give you a fair review of both devices.

ReputationRep:
    blackberry hands down !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Have a HD2, iPhone 3G and a BB. BB is the best for typing. But isnt compatible with all email. i.e, your uni has to have a BB server for BB's to be compatible. And BB's cant just use POP3 or IMAP, so if your uni email isnt supported, you can't get it.
    My iPhone and HD2 however both support push and IMAP/POP3 so I gave up on my bb and have those 2 instead. However, E71/E72 are both excellent.
    And the keys on the curve 8520 are horrible. Makes me cry when i use it. Its like why did you make keys the size of 4 pinheads, then have huge gaps between them? The Bold and Bold2 keys are epic though (I had a Bold)

And tbh iPhone and HD2 (or andriod phones, or any touchscreen phones you consider) will probably be less accurate to type on (because of the minimal tactile feedback) but, they have excellent predictive/corrective software built in to reverse that.
    Thank you! The deciding factor is uni emails, and if there is a chance the unis im applying for wont be compatible with BB then i wont get one. iPhone it is! I have also seen the have medical apps, which will come in useful for my course!
    Thank you everyone for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    The blackberry bold 9700 – you can’t beat this phone. Looks amazing, e-mail is amazing, internet is good (3G), easy to use, it is just lovely. Sisters got an iphone and I have to say it is a brilliant phone, but it honestly depends on what kind of things you want from your phone. The iphone has so many applications and you’ll never get bored if you have one, but I wanted a more sophisticated looking phone that isn’t touch screen (the bb QWERTY keyboard is easy to use).

I’d say there are ONLY two phones worth getting out there at the moment if you want the best, the iphone 3GS, and blackberry bold 9700 (the other iphone and blackberrys are still brilliant), but you should have a play around with both if you can in the phone shops and see what suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)

:ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Yes but if the BB doesnt support all email then it is useless. I agree I like the more sophisticated look of the BB, but saying that the iPhone looks brilliant aswell.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.