Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I took my English Language GCSE last year in June 2009 with WJEC. In English Language all I'd ever had in mock exams and coursework before was As, so when I got my GCSE English result I was shocked to find a big fat C, to say that the exam seemed to go really well too. I was thinking of a re-mark but didn't want to pay £80 (there's 2 papers- paper 1 and paper 2, £40 each). So I decided to just leave it and move on.

A few months ago I was told that a lot of results seemed to be wrong so my school wrote to WJEC and my exam paper was sent as a sample to show them that it had been wrongly marked. They replied and said it was definitely wrong so they would give my whole school a re-mark for free.

However, in the end they decided to only re-mark 30 papers because they didn't want to put up 30+ marks because it gives them a bad name. So the random 30 were selected. My exam paper was not in that 30.

So despite the fact that they knew I had been unfairly graded, they still didn't bother to re-mark my paper. I e-mailed WJEC to complain about their ways of dealing with post-exam happenings, but I got an e-mail back saying I must be wrong because they are always fair.

Do you think this is fair?

Also, another girl in my year also had exactly same happen to her, with her Art exam as well.

My opinion is that it isn't right, but I'd just like to hear your views.

(Btw, I know that a C is NOT a bad grade, but it's just not what I was predicted or expected).

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are only useful if you are going into a highly competetive course, other than that unis just want A to Cs so I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I just find it annoying how I've been treated unfairly and they say nothing's wrong, although they know it is. Anyway, I'm doing English Language for A-level so I'l try to do well in that. x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Really unfair, my friend did WJEC psychology AS and had her paper re-marked (she was 1 mark away from an A) it went up by 9 marks!!!! We reckon they missed out a question, cos they're all out of 12. If they've marked so many wrong, then a load of people could have missed out on grades.
    I'd ring them up and keep moaning until they change your mark, just be really annoying :P

ReputationRep:
    Haha. My boyfriend said I should threaten them with the media and say that if they don't re-mark I will call the papers. Imagine the headline. "Exam board ruins teens future!" Ha. But no, I wouldn't go that far. I don't want to end up one of those people who complain about everything and are constantly unsatisfied. x

ReputationRep:
    WJEC are a disgraceful board, this happens every year many of their subjects gcse and a level. I guess thats what happens when a welsh board marks english papers.
    Keep complaining, they should have marked it right to start with, after all english (and maths) is the most important gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XFire36)
    GCSEs are only useful if you are going into a highly competetive course, other than that unis just want A to Cs so I wouldn't worry.
    Regardless, it's still ******* annoying to get a grade less than what you know you deserve.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.