Turn on thread page Beta

Girlfriend wants to get drunk - now annoyed at me? watch

ReputationRep:
    I agree, you need to let her. I'm 17 and I don't know many people who haven't at least tried alcohol - honestly a house party is like the safest atmosphere as well.

ReputationRep:
    You must leave a pretty sheltered life to think its a big deal. I started drinking at house parties younger than that, and I think thats pretty standard tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Chill man, it's a few drinks, let her have this experience. On the off chance she really can't handle it and something bad does happen then that is something she can learn from. You can't be there to protect her all of the time, and if it is really that necessary for you to do so then maybe the relationship isn't as strong as you think it is, it rarely is at your age. Over the next couple of years you both are going to be growing up a lot, and if you can't accept this and learn to sway with the change then you will have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Ask to go too?

Tbh, being a typically bloody-minded person, if someone nagged me not to do something I'd already decided I was going to do, I'd do it harder... :/

ReputationRep:
    Basically if they havent drank alchol before theyll be spending time spewing all over the place rather than getting it on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    Im on your side as well. Its not insulting or unreasonable to think she might do something stupid if she's drunk. Why do you think people get drunk in the first place? So that they can do stupid things and feel great about it (not that that's always a bad thing :-P).

Has it not occured to you that alcohol is a drug? Rated much higher (danger wize) than most illegal drugs. If she's after a new experience then alcohol is definitely not the way forward in my opinion.
    People generally get drunk to relax and have a good time, if that wernt possible and the only side effects of it were puking, getting in fights etc people wouldnt do it.

So you would suggest cocaine or heroin over alchol? To be honest a nice fat joint cant be beat with the added bonus of no hangover!

ReputationRep:
    You're 16 lighten up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    Everyone wants to experiment just be thankful it's only alcohol and not anything worse like drugs!
    Why are all drugs worse, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    be thankful it's only alcohol and not anything worse like drugs!
    Erm...ahaha:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Okay so why is everyone making funny comments about me saying at least she's not wanting to do drugs? Okay so a few shots of vodka is as bad as ecstasy is it? Sure!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so when do you guys think I should call - maybe tomorrow or leave it for longer?

For goodness sake, I'm a girl and I regularly got completely off my face from about the age of 13 onwards, often with strangers/untrustworthy people. Nothing happened to me, even when you're drunk you normally have a kind of inbuilt knowledge of lines you shouldn't cross. So stop being paranoid and controlling just because you have little experience of something, she'll be fine.

Send her an email/text/facebook message apologising and explaining that you do trust her but were just worried. Then wait for her to forgive you.

dont be such a spoil sport. gettin drunk doesnt make you insane, just suggest she doesnt drink too much. learning your limits takes experience though, even now i sometimes get horribly drunk

ReputationRep:
    Just text her and say sorry for being all protective and smothering you were just trying to protect her. I have been completely off my face a few times and I didn't do anything that bad, just went on a bit of a lesbian rampage and kissed a few girls lol... but my experience is that friends are always so great when you're drunk. We all just look after each other, even when we were really young like 14. A house party is so much safer as well so you really shouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    dont be such a spoil sport. gettin drunk doesnt make you insane, just suggest she doesnt drink too much. learning your limits takes experience though, even now i sometimes get horribly drunk
    Exactly. I now know my limits and I know not to drink ouzo. Important life skills!

ReputationRep:
    Just text her and say sorry for being all protective and smothering you were just trying to protect her. I have been completely off my face a few times and I didn't do anything that bad, just went on a bit of a lesbian rampage and kissed a few girls lol... but my experience is that friends are always so great when you're drunk. We all just look after each other, even when we were really young like 14. A house party is so much safer as well so you really shouldn't worry.
    I texted her a few times explaining my side of it and then after thinking about it longer I just apologised but tried to explain why I felt that way. She hasn't replied at all but I feel like I can't do anything but wait. Is that all I can do? I don't want to annoy her by constantly calling but would tomorrow or something be too soon to try and talk and properly apologise?

ReputationRep:
    Let her make her own mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael XYZ)
    Yes, obviously I realise the implication of me being very controlling but it is for the sole reason that not many people that she knows are going - in fact 2 people she knows are going and both will probably be drunk. I realise I'm at fault but is it so hard to see that I'm worried something bad is going to happen when there's no one there to look after her or maybe take her home afterwards?

She's not a kid but let's not be thinking at 16 years old we can all take care of ourselves just fine.

So, what exactly do I do? I've got this assault on be for being a control-freak (granted I accept that at the time I was being one) but no one is actually trying to help. I don't know why she's that annoyed though - it's something you can be angry at for a bit but you wouldn't ignore your partner the whole day and more for it?
    When a WHOLE day is a long time to you it shows your age.

Why isn't she capable of looking after herself at 16?

ReputationRep:
    Let her go out and drink!
    House parties are the only place people your age can go drink!
    Why don't you go along aswell!
    I know your not invited, but i'm sure they wont mind you goin

ReputationRep:
    16 is far too young to start controlling someone's life like that. Sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.