Turn on thread page Beta

Girlfriend wants to get drunk - now annoyed at me? watch

ReputationRep:
    Whoever said getting drunk is better than experimenting with drugs needs to check the facts. Cannabis for example, is much less harmful than alcohol (even when you factor in the various mental illnesses it can induce under prolonged and heavy use).

http://vespermedia.net/imagesout/drugs.png

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael XYZ)
    This may sound crazy or maybe normal - I honestly don't know how people my age think like to be fair. Well, anyway, I've been with my girlfriend for about a year but it's been on-and-off quite a few times. I was talking to her yesterday about a friend of mine wanting to get drunk as a new experience (which is weird because he's nothing like that) and then she asks if I'd ask him if she could join him.

I'm not against alcohol or anything (although I pretty much never drink but at 16 years old I don't find that absurd or crazy) but she does a bit. Never been a problem or anything but she wants to go to a friend's birthday party on the weekend and that's where she wants to get drunk. I'm just really against the idea for the fact that I'm afraid she's going to get hurt or taken advantage of - I won't be there as I wasn't invited and I'm just worried she will only know a few people there (who will probably be drunk too) and so if anything happens no one will be there to stop it.

I was talking to her about it and I just asked her to not do it or at least at a time when I am there or more people she knows that she can trust etc. This was on MSN and she just said she had to go sleep and just signed off. It was really weird and so I called her like 3 times and she didn't pick up and then on the 4th time she had clearly closed her phone. I mean, I know I sound like I'm her dad trying to dictate her life but that is for the reason that I love her and care for her and worried she'll end up doing something she regrets (and not even know about it!).

I just have no idea what to do now. I've texted her a couple of times but she hasn't replied to any of them. I didn't even think it was that big a deal but she's made it into something big and it seems she won't even talk about it and at least hear my side of it.
    OH, she heard your side of your story loud and clear. It's simply states that your over protective and you implies to her, 'You do not trust her'. If you really love her, the least you can do is let her have fun, in return, if she loves you, shes clearly knows she should not cheat on you, if the case you were worried she would be taken advantage of.

E.g. Lets say i'm your friend, i'm worried you might go on the internet and see some things you should not see, i ban you from internet for LIFE as a close friend (exaggerating), i say this because i care about you and love you as a friend. What would you think of me now?

ReputationRep:
    I texted her a few times explaining my side of it and then after thinking about it longer I just apologised but tried to explain why I felt that way. She hasn't replied at all but I feel like I can't do anything but wait. Is that all I can do? I don't want to annoy her by constantly calling but would tomorrow or something be too soon to try and talk and properly apologise?
    I'd just leave it for now. She's obviously not interested in talking to you and probably just wants a bit of space. Give it three days, and then if she still hasn't text you then I would give her a ring. She can't be mad at you forever, you weren't technically doing anything wrong you were just concerned... a little too concerned maybe but never mind! Hope everything works out.

ReputationRep:
    ooooooooooh boy she wants to get tipsy :awesome:

Tell her to stfu and go make you a sammich.

Stop being so controlling, it's her life she can do whatever she wants.

ReputationRep:
    You're trying to be too controlling. If I were her I would be offended by what seems to be your blatent lack of trust in her... I think you should let her have her experiences on her own if she wants that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I'd just leave it for now. She's obviously not interested in talking to you and probably just wants a bit of space. Give it three days, and then if she still hasn't text you then I would give her a ring. She can't be mad at you forever, you weren't technically doing anything wrong you were just concerned... a little too concerned maybe but never mind! Hope everything works out.
    Thanks.

Well I talked to her for a bit and I just apologised and explained I was just being really over-controlling and all. She asked if I thought that she was going to cheat on me and I told her I wasn't scared about that but more that someone would take advantage of her. She said that was good and she seemed sorta happy but then she said she was still mad at me and it'll take a few days till she calms down.

Now I'm just really confused. She was acting like we were fine again because she understood what I meant and I had apologised but she's still angry at me? I mean I can understand but surely if she understands she can't STILL be mad?

ReputationRep:
    ur *****in abt gettin drunk and naggin ur girlfriend...
    classic!

ReputationRep:
    To all the people saying stop trying to control her, you are clearly just as immature as she is.
    You're both young, you are clearly more level-headed than she is. That being said, you'll never find a girl who won't get your worried in one way or another. You just have to trust her judgement of the people she is with, maybe compromise on asking her to text you at points during the night. Make up some story you read in the paper about a girl getting raped at a house party with her best friends and say you'll feel a lot better if she lets you know she's okay. She no doubt thinks you don't trust her.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Well I talked to her for a bit and I just apologised and explained I was just being really over-controlling and all. She asked if I thought that she was going to cheat on me and I told her I wasn't scared about that but more that someone would take advantage of her. She said that was good and she seemed sorta happy but then she said she was still mad at me and it'll take a few days till she calms down.

Now I'm just really confused. She was acting like we were fine again because she understood what I meant and I had apologised but she's still angry at me? I mean I can understand but surely if she understands she can't STILL be mad?
    Sometimes it takes a little while to calm down from an argument. You can't just forgive straight away but you should be fine in a few days. But this isn't exactly something to be mad about... she's being a bit immature if you ask me. Just leave her be and she will come round in a few days.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.