Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Neurotic housemate driving me nuts! watch

ReputationRep:
    So I live in a house at uni with three other girls. We usually all get along, but one of them is so obsessive over cleaning, time keeping and well, everything.

The house is completely spotless which at first I didn't complain about, but lately she's been moving my stuff around and complaining that no one does any housework. Yet we all clean up after ourselves, sweep and wash up etc etc it's just her cleaning standards are so high and since she's constantly cleaning there is nothing left for anyone else to do. It annoys me because we have never asked her to do any cleaning, she does it because she wants to, yet she still moans about it!

We've tried talking to her about it nicely but she doesn't change, she just doesn't seem to get it. She counts ONE folder or book on the living room table as "mess" and moves it into the persons room and hates it when things are not in line, like candles or coasters. She can't have a single teaspoon or a plate in the sink, or if we don't wash up straight away.

She also goes into a panic about small things and does not calm down when we assure her it's fine. Whenever we go out we wait for her if she's late, yet if she wants to go anywhere she moans for us to hurry up. I'm supposed to be living with her next year but now I'm not so sure. Her negative, bossy attitude is really grinding at me and I just wish she would chill out. I joked one time that she should "calm down, have a spliff or something" and she freaked out/got offended and starting babbling about the "evils of drugs"... :woo:

How do you think I could go about talking to her again? I just hate how she's always whinging, criticising, and acting like she owns the place. It's ridiculous and I've really had enough.

ReputationRep:
    The house is completely spotless which at first I didn't complain about, but lately she's been moving my stuff around and complaining that no one does any housework. Yet we all clean up after ourselves, sweep and wash up etc etc it's just her cleaning standards are so high and since she's constantly cleaning there is nothing left for anyone else to do. It annoys me because we have never asked her to do any cleaning, she does it because she wants to, yet she still moans about it!

We've tried talking to her about it nicely but she doesn't change, she just doesn't seem to get it. She counts ONE folder or book on the living room table as "mess" and moves it into the persons room and hates it when things are not in line, like candles or coasters. She can't have a single teaspoon or a plate in the sink, or if we don't wash up straight away.
    This bit sounds like OCD to me.

ReputationRep:
    Anally retentive OCD. Nice.

ReputationRep:
    fill the whole house up with marijuana smoke and dont let her out until its all gone.

ReputationRep:
    Dealing with people like that isn't always easy, but several of my friends are like that, and I find that a good way of calming them down is by changing the subject to something trivial which they find interesting. Also, next time you do housework, make sure she knows that you are making the effort, and do this at every possible occasion, that way they feel guilty complaining about you, and do it less. If my friends are anything to go by, don't try the whole joking to chill them out thing, it aggravates them, because they don't see the joke at the time. I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Haha enjoy the fact you don't live with slobs?

Well as long as you wash up and clean after yourself, just ignore her... you can't really do much else! Its her problem not yours

ReputationRep:
    Really try and find another house share for next year, you might end up having a nasty fall out :lolwut:

But in the mean time, I guess just try and be as clean as you think it necessary, and try and get together to talk to her?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest if you think your bad off, feel for these three girls.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1158120

ReputationRep:
    stop whining so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    fill the whole house up with marijuana smoke and dont let her out until its all gone.
    Haha, I have contemplated this...

(Original post by SOTEK)
    Dealing with people like that isn't always easy, but several of my friends are like that, and I find that a good way of calming them down is by changing the subject to something trivial which they find interesting. Also, next time you do housework, make sure she knows that you are making the effort, and do this at every possible occasion, that way they feel guilty complaining about you, and do it less. If my friends are anything to go by, don't try the whole joking to chill them out thing, it aggravates them, because they don't see the joke at the time. I hope this helps.
    Yeah sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately usually the amount of cleaning we do is never good enough for her. But thanks I'll give that a go.

(Original post by Prussianking666)
    I suggest if you think your bad off, feel for these three girls.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1158120
    Ah, I didn't notice this. Wow.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, tell her to stfu and stop being so anal, or even better invite loads of your mates around and have a house party that'll XXXX her off.

At least be thankful that she isn't leaving post it notes around the house or shoving notes under your door or even worse taking over the fridge/ freezer and cupboard space! (like my flatmate did last year!)

Seriously if this is how she behaves this year and she's supposed to be a 'friend' than I would definately not live with her and explain the reason why aren't going to live with her again.

it's your house/flat just as much as hers so you and the other flatmates should tell her to stop being so bossy and that she isn't being 'forced' into doing the cleaning so she's got nothing to complain about she if she decides to do it all herself.

I think a good idea maybe would be to draw up a cleaning rota, that way she may be less anal about the cleaning and maybe she feel better if she doesn't think she 'has' to do everything, but if she's fretting about you leaving a few bits uni work in communal areas then she obviously has a few 'issues'.

ReputationRep:
    are you sure you don't live with that girl from "sick to the back of my teeth with my housemates" thread? cos that would be hilarious.

If I was you, I'd show her what REAL mess is and mess up everything. And leave spoons in sinks.

If all else fails, it's time to get physical. It's 3 against 1 isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovay)
    Ah, tell her to stfu and stop being so anal, or even better invite loads of your mates around and have a house party that'll XXXX her off.

At least be thankful that she isn't leaving post it notes around the house or shoving notes under your door or even worse taking over the fridge/ freezer and cupboard space! (like my flatmate did last year!)

Seriously if this is how she behaves this year and she's supposed to be a 'friend' than I would definitely not live with her and explain the reason why aren't going to live with her again.

it's your house/flat just as much as hers so you and the other flatmates should tell her to stop being so bossy and that she isn't being 'forced' into doing the cleaning so she's got nothing to complain about she if she decides to do it all herself.

I think a good idea maybe would be to draw up a cleaning rota, that way she may be less anal about the cleaning and maybe she feel better if she doesn't think she 'has' to do everything, but if she's fretting about you leaving a few bits uni work in communal areas then she obviously has a few 'issues'.
    You state the possibility of "issues" do you not perhaps think it would be wiser to take a course of action involving learning to get along with such people, many of my friends have such "issues". One of these has Aspergers, and obssesses over mathematics constantly, this makes him hard to talk to for most people, however, with a little patience, it is easy enough to get along with such people.

ReputationRep:
    i'd rather have a housemate like that than a lazy dirty one

ReputationRep:
    I'm like that, But I'm Male...

they are nuts

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.