Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for a 1+3 PhD. The First year involves a taught MSc where many techniques taught will be unfamiliar to me.

The module handbook for the MSc year states that students 'Should begin thinking about their dissertation topics from the beginning of the first semester'.

I enquired about whether I did have to write a research proposal when applying for the course because the web page states: 'please include your research interests on your application form', and doesn't specify about the need for a research proposal. I received this reply from the course administrator: 'You will need to fill this in on line and it will be clearer when you do so. It states in section 2 ‘a brief synopsis’ unless you have agreed a full research proposal with a supervisor.'.

I have begun to isolate my research interests after much reading, but I don't feel confident at this stage with coming up with a 'unique' research proposal and sending it off to potential supervisors.

Therefore, is it acceptable to email my research interests to potential supervisors..? What is likely to happen after I do this, would the academic give me some pointers or suggest a new area to examine?

If anyone can give me any insight into the process, I'd be very grateful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychobot)
    I'm applying for a 1+3 PhD. The First year involves a taught MSc where many techniques taught will be unfamiliar to me.

The module handbook for the MSc year states that students 'Should begin thinking about their dissertation topics from the beginning of the first semester'.

I enquired about whether I did have to write a research proposal when applying for the course because the web page states: 'please include your research interests on your application form', and doesn't specify about the need for a research proposal. I received this reply from the course administrator: 'You will need to fill this in on line and it will be clearer when you do so. It states in section 2 ‘a brief synopsis’ unless you have agreed a full research proposal with a supervisor.'.

I have begun to isolate my research interests after much reading, but I don't feel confident at this stage with coming up with a 'unique' research proposal and sending it off to potential supervisors.

Therefore, is it acceptable to email my research interests to potential supervisors..? What is likely to happen after I do this, would the academic give me some pointers or suggest a new area to examine?

If anyone can give me any insight into the process, I'd be very grateful!
    When I was working on my proposals, I sent them round when they were nowhere near being ready. When I e-mailed them to my potential supervisors I did stress that what I am e-mailing is just work in progress but it gave them an idea of my reserach interests. I got plenty of extremely enthusiastic replies and loads of suggestions as to how to develop my proposal, which I found extremely useful. From my experience, I'd say definitely go for it, though do make sure that you do have some focus and what you're sending is clearly an early draft of a research project rather than just a list of interests.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.