Turn on thread page Beta

Power Assisted Steering watch

ReputationRep:
    Whoever gave me this negative rep saying:
    If you aren't going to listen why should we bother. The very first answer explained everthing.
    Then no you are wrong because no one actually said, it will feel stiff, you will have to make more effort, you won't notice a thing, etc, whatever the answer may be!!
    Thanks for the neg though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggsx)
    Whoever gave me this negative rep saying:
    If you aren't going to listen why should we bother. The very first answer explained everthing.
    Then no you are wrong because no one actually said, it will feel stiff, you will have to make more effort, you won't notice a thing, etc, whatever the answer may be!!
    Thanks for the neg though
    I made the first reply and I can assure you it does answer the question in the OP, fully and accurately. All this talk of stiffness and difficulty in steering only applies to cars without PAS, which you weren't asking about. Perhaps I should neg you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I've seen the difference between an insurance group 9 and 10 car, it was about another £100, which isn't nothing.

So if the "high risk" cars like old 106's and saxos grouped in the same insurance group as a micra for example, why are the insurance prices similar even though one is high risk and one is a lower risk?

I'm not being smart, I'm actually curious as to how the insurance works.

I don't see how a 17 year old in a small engined hatchback is more dangerous than a 17 year old in a large engined estate.
    Because insurance is not based on individuals, it is based on risk ascertained through previous claims.

A 17 year old might be more dangerous in a large estate, but if there is a track record of 17 year olds from Chatham, in a particular housing estate having a Saxo and then causing lots of damage then an insurance company will put two and two together and make 5. I.e. they will assume all 17 year olds who buy a Saxo (or equivalent) will be exactly the same.

Thus, insurance group is a good indicator, but in reality, the thing that hikes up price is risk, location, age, car type, number of crashes related to that car, job etc.

It is based on very complicated risk assessment brought together on countless years of data merged all together to give an overall risk evaluation. Insurance group is but one part of that and other factors play a much bigger role.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I made the first reply and I can assure you it does answer the question in the OP, fully and accurately. All this talk of stiffness and difficulty in steering only applies to cars without PAS, which you weren't asking about. Perhaps I should neg you.
    The correct term is power-assisted steering, but many people say power steering instead. That is all; there is no difference.
    That isn't exactly what I was after really now, was it? Perhaps neg as you wish, it sounds a good idea to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggsx)
    The correct term is power-assisted steering, but many people say power steering instead. That is all; there is no difference.

That isn't exactly what I was after really now, was it?
    The question you asked was

What is the difference between power steering and power assisted steering?
    That answer answers it perfectly. There is no difference.

If you wanted the answer to a different question perhaps you should have asked the different question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Because insurance is not based on individuals, it is based on risk ascertained through previous claims.

A 17 year old might be more dangerous in a large estate, but if there is a track record of 17 year olds from Chatham, in a particular housing estate having a Saxo and then causing lots of damage then an insurance company will put two and two together and make 5. I.e. they will assume all 17 year olds who buy a Saxo (or equivalent) will be exactly the same.

Thus, insurance group is a good indicator, but in reality, the thing that hikes up price is risk, location, age, car type, number of crashes related to that car, job etc.

It is based on very complicated risk assessment brought together on countless years of data merged all together to give an overall risk evaluation. Insurance group is but one part of that and other factors play a much bigger role.

Graham

I've actually got to put my hands up here and admit I was wrong, my insurance is due soon and I can get insured on a 2.4l Volvo V70 for £900, while insuring the 1.2l Micra under the same conditions will cost me just over £1000. Of course this is just off a comparison site and I'd probably get a small discount for the pass plus, but I'm now looking into the possibility of a Fabia estate! Not the 1.2 though possibly a 1.9SDi. It's slow I know but economical!

EDIT: Not the Fabia, £1200 to insure that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I've actually got to put my hands up here and admit I was wrong, my insurance is due soon and I can get insured on a 2.4l Volvo V70 for £900, while insuring the 1.2l Micra under the same conditions will cost me just over £1000. Of course this is just off a comparison site and I'd probably get a small discount for the pass plus, but I'm now looking into the possibility of a Fabia estate! Not the 1.2 though possibly a 1.9SDi. It's slow I know but economical!

EDIT: Not the Fabia, £1200 to insure that!
    See think outside the box!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.