Turn on thread page Beta

Mum doesn't like boyfriend. watch

ReputationRep:
    Edit

ReputationRep:
    My parents have never EVER liked one of my girlfriends. Doesn't/Didn't stop me.

Just live with it.

ReputationRep:
    Kick your mum in the face. She's a right little meddler.

ReputationRep:
    who care ?

i agree with ur mum

you're gona break up soon anyway

ReputationRep:
    Just say:

'Mum, I'm 18 years old not 12, and I know you're just worried about me doing well in my exams at the moment, but I've done lots of revision and I'm being responsible about it. It's our 2 year anniversary and it's really important to us that we get to spend a little bit of time together to celebrate.'

I don't see how she can argue with that tbh. 2 years is a long time!

ReputationRep:
    two years is a long time, especially when your at college and hes at uni
    are you going to uni this year? maybe if you move out you and your boyfriend wont have to spend time with her.
    explain to your mum that whatever she thinks of your boyfriend, ur an adult and its ur choice. also that you'd appreciate having a mum who wasnt so pedantic and supported your choice to be with your boyfriend, as he clearly makes you happy

my mum and me have never seen eye to eye about boyfriends, but it got better after i spoke to her...will get loads better when i move out..hehe xx

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you can do much about it tbh. But you're 18, does it matter what your mum thinks?
    (Original post by ThisBeatIsSick)
    I absolutely adore my boyfriend, what can I say to her to make her realise how she's making me resent her?
    Tell her that. Or tell her that he's your boyfriend, and she has to accept that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Just say:

'Mum, I'm 18 years old not 12, and I know you're just worried about me doing well in my exams at the moment, but I've done lots of revision and I'm being responsible about it. It's our 2 year anniversary and it's really important to us that we get to spend a little bit of time together to celebrate.'

I don't see how she can argue with that tbh. 2 years is a long time!
    lmao at 18yos, thinkin they're all big and hard

bish u live wit ur parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilwaynefan)

Unfortunately there’s a lot of truth to this comment. You live under your mums roof whom I’m guessing pays the bills and provides the food. So her house her rules.

What you can do is talk to her like you’re talking to us. At least that way you tried. Parents rarely realise that they are in the wrong, and you gotta make it so they are and you’re not.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, just talk to her, express your feelings.
    Had the same type of situation, had a convo with my mum and tried answered all her questions/doubts.

ReputationRep:
    He's you're boyfriend not hers.

ReputationRep:

You are 19.. That makes you so much bigger and harder than 18 year olds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Loophole)
    Unfortunately there’s a lot of truth to this comment. You live under your mums roof whom I’m guessing pays the bills and provides the food. So her house her rules.

What you can do is talk to her like you’re talking to us. At least that way you tried. Parents rarely realise that they are in the wrong, and you gotta make it so they are and you’re not.
    I disagree vehemently with the first part, but agree entirely with the last part.

With the 'my house my rules' - It's not okay for a mother of an 18 year old to dictate how much time that 18 year old spends with her boyfriend. That IMO, is not acceptable.

But yeah OP just tell your mum how she makes you feel and hope she takes it on board.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents aren't meant to like your boyfriend. Just go for the meal and tell her that's what is happening.

ReputationRep:
    You're 18 and your mum still tells you when to revise?

ReputationRep:

exactly this

ReputationRep:
    Your mum is either WAY too over protective over you-are you an only child by any chance?

I am sure your mother doesn't want you to not have a boyfriend but I think she may be scared that you'll get hurt and she doesn't want you to get too attached to him in case you guys break up and she wouldn't want you to feel how she felt in the past.

But you've got to make it clear to her that you are your own person, 18 and have been dating the guy for TWO years (thats bloody ages!). If that doesn't work, tell her gently to grow up and learn to let go.

Hope this helps and good luck with the future.

x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Whenever my mum gets like that, I just completely disengage. If you want to be gentle with her, just say you're sorry she doesn't think it's a good idea, but you have planned your revision and factored in the leisure time and so you are going to go out. If you want to be down to earth, tell her to get lost - you're eighteen, in a serious relationship... not only will you do whatever the hell you want, you find it unacceptable the way she treats your boyfriend. I think you should be mad at her, not vice versa.

Parents need to be kept in their place - once you turn eighteen you've got as much right to tell them what to do as they have to tell you (none, that is). I wouldn't put up with my parents treating my boyfriend as you've described, either. Not cool at all.

Ignore her?
    My parents don't like my boyfriend of 3 years for some strange reason and refuse to meet him, he's not horrible or done anything bad.
    They're just weird.

ReputationRep:
    so what? dont matter what your mum thinks. you love him, and she will have to accept the way you feel.
    my mum likes my gf bt my gf's mum dosent like me...i dont like her eather...shes very bossy and self centred... i think that and so does her daughter...hehe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.