Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muscle definition or weight gain. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Firstly

-Ten stone
    -6FT 2
    -pic:
    -Body fat according to GP:8 percent, pinching test (can't remember name)

This time last year i started working out at the gym with a body building/weight gaining routine, supplemented by whey protein. I successfully managed to gain over a stone in weight, by June i was around 11 stone two pounds. However any weight that i do gain, i lose very quickly. My GP HAS confirmed that i have a very high metabolism. My weight loss i don't believe is a dietary problem i far surpass the amount of calories i need (Based upon the weight of your body calculation). I started running in the summer which didn't help.

So anyway i'm starting back at the gym again after around two months off, and thought to myself considering i lose any weight that i put on so fast, wouldn't it better to just start defining the little muscle i have, and making everything nice and cut. I think i've accepted i'm never going to be a 'big' guy so maybe that's the best route? What do you guys think? Also what exercises would you recommend if i was going to strive for definition.

Thanks

Edit: Average days diet
    Breakfast: 3-4 Bowls of whatever cereal is going
    Break at College 11-15 One chicken and bacon baguette (with lettacte), orange, banana
    Lunch at college (1-2) Two-3 baguettes of either Chicken and Bacon, Beef, pork, whatever is going. Two more pieces of fruit.
    Home time snack (4-5ish) Bacon and Sausage sandwich/Pasta and bacon
    Dinner (7-9) Ergh, steak and chips, usually 2-3 cuts of steak. Followed up by a pudding, yogurt/cake/whatever is going.
    Around 11-12PM i'll get hungry again and will either cook like a steak pie, or some chicken, anything i can get my hands on really.
    Sometimes (1-3 am suffer from insomnia) i will feel hungry during the night and go find something to eat again, usually cereal, or a ham sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is always bulk then cut.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend some heavy dumbbell pressing!

(Original post by Supfresh.)
    Firstly

-Ten stone
    -6FT 2
    -pic:
    -Body fat according to GP:8 percent, pinching test (can't remember name)

This time last year i started working out at the gym with a body building/weight gaining routine, supplemented by whey protein. I successfully managed to gain over a stone in weight, by June i was around 11 stone two pounds. However any weight that i do gain, i lose very quickly. My GP HAS confirmed that i have a very high metabolism. My weight loss i don't believe is a dietary problem i far surpass the amount of calories i need (Based upon the weight of your body calculation). I started running in the summer which didn't help.

So anyway i'm starting back at the gym again after around two months off, and thought to myself considering i lose any weight that i put on so fast, wouldn't it better to just start defining the little muscle i have, and making everything nice and cut. I think i've accepted i'm never going to be a 'big' guy so maybe that's the best route? What do you guys think? Also what exercises would you recommend if i was going to strive for definition.

Thanks
    wow, your GP confirmed you had a fast metabolism

well eat eat eat and eat some more, and prove the ****** wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    wow, your GP confirmed you had a fast metabolism

well eat eat eat and eat some more, and prove the ****** wrong
    Hah i do try, whenever i eat i have to eat until i feel completely full and kind of bloated, otherwise i'll always have food on my mind. Once i feel the slightest bit of hunger i'm looking for food again, and i'm talking protein, i consume bucket loads of meat every day.

Hah i do try, whenever i eat i have to eat until i feel completely full and kind of bloated, otherwise i'll always have food on my mind. Once i feel the slightest bit of hunger i'm looking for food again, and i'm talking protein, i consume bucket loads of meat every day.
    post an average day's diet :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    post an average day's diet :yep:
    I thought it'd come to this, i bet this is where you will find the problems :P. This was an example of yesterday, which is kinda a typical day

Break at College 11-15 One chicken and bacon baguette (with lettacte), orange, banana
    Lunch at college (1-2) Two-3 baguettes of either Chicken and Bacon, Beef, pork, whatever is going. Two more pieces of fruit.
    Dinner (7-9) Ergh, steak and chips, usually 2-3 cuts of steak. Followed up by a pudding, yogurt/cake/whatever is going.
    Around 11-12PM i'll get hungry again and will either cook like a steak pie, or some chicken, anything i can get my hands on really.
    Sometimes (1-3 am suffer from insomnia) i will feel hungry during the night and go find something to eat again, usually cereal, or a ham sandwich.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I find that the easiest way to take on board extra calories if you're already eating alot is through liquids, eg. full fat milk or chocolate milkshake or something like that. A ton of calories and easy to drink.

ReputationRep:
    Drink alot of milk a day, drinking only 4 - 6 pints a day has helped me gain some good weight

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why you need to eat that much!! Im a hardgainer and naturally v.skinny but i gain muscle and get much stronger from eating normally with just whey supplements and thats just body fortress from H&B - nothing fancy.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it'd come to this, i bet this is where you will find the problems :P. This was an example of yesterday, which is kinda a typical day

Cheers.
    Milk?

ReputationRep:
    if your gonna bulk do it clean, not eating lots of crap, otherwise you will gain FLAB more than muscle, eat clean, lift big and you should getmore muscle than flab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Milk?
    I guess i have about 2-3 pints with cereal in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    if your gonna bulk do it clean, not eating lots of crap, otherwise you will gain FLAB more than muscle, eat clean, lift big and you should getmore muscle than flab.
    What, i'm confused, did you read my post?
    -I don't really eat any 'crap'
    -I don't have a problem with gaining flab, quite evidently don't gain any flab at all...

ReputationRep:
    What, i'm confused, did you read my post?
    -I don't really eat any 'crap'
    -I don't have a problem with gaining flab, quite evidently don't gain any flab at all...
    Not crap as in junk food no, but bacon and things contain fat. I have to say i think you eat tonnes more than you need to gain muscle and probably way more red meat than what's healthy. As for retaining muscle I have a similar problem when i stop training-just keep on working out and occasionally switching the routine and i think you can easily retain muscle. Perhaps you just have amazingly unfortunate genetics...

ReputationRep:
    Why would you ever want to stop lifting? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I guess i have about 2-3 pints with cereal in the morning.
    It seems that you're getting most of your protein from meat. Have you tried other sources like eggs, almonds, oats, lentils etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aramiss18)
    Not crap as in junk food no, but bacon and things contain fat. I have to say i think you eat tonnes more than you need to gain muscle and probably way more red meat than what's healthy. As for retaining muscle I have a similar problem when i stop training-just keep on working out and occasionally switching the routine and i think you can easily retain muscle. Perhaps you just have amazingly unfortunate genetics...
    How much red meat is not healthy?

What's wrong with eating things that contain fat?

ReputationRep:
    red meat is not healthy, becuase when its cooked, its created polycyclic nitrites which in the body are carcinogenic, white meat, chicken, turkey etc dosent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    red meat is not healthy, becuase when its cooked, its created polycyclic nitrites which in the body are carcinogenic, white meat, chicken, turkey etc dosent.
    If you stay away from processed meats and buy fresh it isn't a problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.