Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone done/doing/going to do a medical conversion course? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I really need some advice as to my chances on being accepted onto a medical conversion course. I've become seriously disallusioned with my current degree and the only thing motivating me to complete it to the best of my ability is the thought that I can potentially do another, completely different, qualification after. I'm doing English language (2nd year) at the moment and have been researching medical conversion courses.
    I've found that I can get onto one even though I have a non-science based degree. What I want to know is what will possibly increase my chances of being accepted and is it extremely difficult to
    make the transition to a course such as this? How demanding is it and is it worth it?
    I have the passion and motivation to do this as it has always been what I wanted to do but never thought it was an option. My grades are A levels at AAC (inc. Biology) and I have GCSE double science at A/A. I'm worrying also that it might be beyond my capabilities, anyone had a similar situation ? Any help appreciated thank you v much!!

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean the 4-year 'fasttrack' medicine course. Many of them are for biology/chemistry/science grads only, but you are correct that there are a few that do not stipulate anything other than a 2:1 first degree.

To have the best chances you will need a good 2:1 grade, and as an English graduate you will absolutely need both Chemistry and Biology A grades at A2 level. If you do not have those, you will have to somehow fill in these gaps by extra courses, either at your university or through Open University courses (which some schools take). Your GCSEs shouldn't mean much as a degree holder, so I wouldn't worry about those.

You will also have to do well at the UKCAT or GAMSAT entrance tests. I think in your case as a nonscience graduate, then GAMSAT based universities will be your best shot, since those test your science ability and if you can prove it through that you should be in good stead.

You will also require voluntary experience in some care-related capacity most likely, and shadowing a doctor at a Hospital or GP would be ideal.

Be aware that these courses are extremely competitive, and sometimes have ratios as high as 20 or 30 applicants to one place. If you don't get a really good 2:1 or 1:1 alongside a top class entrance exam score I wouldn't be too hopeful. You could look at the 5-year courses too, they are a lot less competitive (around 10:1 apps to place ratio).

This is speaking as a 4-year graduate applicant. I am in the sciences however.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.