Turn on thread page Beta

Help needed (confused with certain points on syllabus) watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so im doing ccea, i have my exam tomorrow..

Could anyone shed some light on these concepts mentioned in my syllabus??

• use sigma and pi bonds to explain relative bond strength(ok with this) and relative bond lengthof the c=c bond

• comment on variation of boiling points of Halogenoalkanes

• does OH thermal stability decrease down group II??:eek3:

• I always learnt the reaction of
      Al3+
      Mg2+
      Zn2+
      with Aq. Ammonia. but it says the reaction with NaOh and aq ammonia to distingish? is syllabus right? and if so is there a difference with NaOh and without.
      The colourless solution forms white ppt.. etc etc.

Ah honestly, if anyone has any idea about these.. it would be soo helpful...

Im panicing...:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    First point:

A single bond is formed by a sigma interaction, which is the overlap of two s orbitals. If two atoms which have formed a sigma bond also have two p orbitals which can overlap, they form a pi bond as well as the sigma bond, which gives you your double bond. The p orbitals of the two atoms point up and down rather than towards each other so the two carbon atoms must move slightly closer together to maximise the pi overlap.

Second point:

As you lengthen the carbon chain, you have more electrons, meaning the van der waals forces get stronger so the boiling point increases. As you go from Cl --> Br --> I, the halogen is getting larger, so again, more electrons, stronger van der waals interactions and higher boiling point. You might also be thinking "but the electronegativity difference gets smaller so the dipole-dipole interactions get weaker". This is true, but the C-Cl (for example) bond is just one bond and considering you'll have a hydrocarbon chain there as well, the Van der Waals forces are a greater factor.

Third point:

Answered in another thread of yours.

Fourth point:

I'm afraid I don't remember the colours of these from when I did them at school. Sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedAmy)
    Ok so im doing ccea, i have my exam tomorrow..

Could anyone shed some light on these concepts mentioned in my syllabus??

• use sigma and pi bonds to explain relative bond strength(ok with this) and relative bond lengthof the c=c bond

• comment on variation of boiling points of Halogenoalkanes

• does OH thermal stability decrease down group II??:eek3:

• I always learnt the reaction of
      Al3+
      Mg2+
      Zn2+
      with Aq. Ammonia. but it says the reaction with NaOh and aq ammonia to distingish? is syllabus right? and if so is there a difference with NaOh and without.
      The colourless solution forms white ppt.. etc etc.

Ah honestly, if anyone has any idea about these.. it would be soo helpful...

Im panicing...:eek3:
    for part 4, refer to attachment.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf qualitative analysis.pdf (46.1 KB, 199 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyri)
    First point:

A single bond is formed by a sigma interaction, which is the overlap of two s orbitals. If two atoms which have formed a sigma bond also have two p orbitals which can overlap, they form a pi bond as well as the sigma bond, which gives you your double bond. The p orbitals of the two atoms point up and down rather than towards each other so the two carbon atoms must move slightly closer together to maximise the pi overlap.

Second point:

As you lengthen the carbon chain, you have more electrons, meaning the van der waals forces get stronger so the boiling point increases. As you go from Cl --> Br --> I, the halogen is getting larger, so again, more electrons, stronger van der waals interactions and higher boiling point. You might also be thinking "but the electronegativity difference gets smaller so the dipole-dipole interactions get weaker". This is true, but the C-Cl (for example) bond is just one bond and considering you'll have a hydrocarbon chain there as well, the Van der Waals forces are a greater factor.

Third point:

Answered in another thread of yours.

Fourth point:

I'm afraid I don't remember the colours of these from when I did them at school. Sorry :o:
    ah thank you soo much *** you wee star** lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    woohoo thanks so much xoxoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedAmy)
    ah thank you soo much *** you wee star** lol
    Haha, you're welcome.

(Original post by shengoc)
    That looks like a really good reference page. Very clear.

ReputationRep:
    That looks like a really good reference page. Very clear.[/QUOTE]

yeah, got that from cambridge igce chem exam paper.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.