Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

weightlifting in the gyms - problem Watch

ReputationRep:
    I joined the gym today as a New Year's resolution. I mainly want to use the weights and weight machines but I am very inexperienced. After lots of trying out the machines and weights, not really knowing how to use them, how many reps I should do, what weight setting I should use etc. I had to do cardio training. For that, I put it up to a fairly high setting and did 10 minutes on 3 machines, with a few minutes rest between. My friend who came with me only does cardio so I couldn't ask him about the weights. I walked into a weight room and started getting asked questions about 'do I have a personal trainer?' and I got weird looks when I looked puzzled around the weight machines.

I am so inexperienced with the weights:cry: I need a proper routine (which machines, how many reps, what weight level, rest times etc.). I had no idea. please help

ReputationRep:
    starting strength is simple and effective

5 exercises, will work every muscle

type in starting strength wiki into google

ReputationRep:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Do this programme exactly as it says. Don't change a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    starting strength is simple and effective

5 exercises, will work every muscle

type in starting strength wiki into google
    Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Should I do that workout or something different?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do that one.

ReputationRep:
    I concur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Do that one.
    The Phuck goin' on in your sig?

ReputationRep:
    Do starting strength but if you're unsure about anything, try to get one of the trainers in the gym to show you how to do the lifts or ask some big guy to check your form.
    Trust me, they won't bite- I bet they'd get an ego trip (I sure would) from somebody thinking them worthy enough of having them check their exercise form.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to these imposters, Ronnie Coleman's body part split volume training is exactly what you need.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the money, its worth buying a few personal trainer sessions, just to help you get comfortable at the gym and to make sure you know the correct technique when it comes to squatting/benching etc.

You typically want to stay away from machines (bar the assisted pull-up/dip machine) and concentrate on heavy-duty compound movements using free-weights.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.