Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Taking a gap year, a bad thing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've already applied for uni via UCAS to study business economics,and I've received several conditional offers, however I've recently decided that I want to take a gap year to travel around Europe,learn a european language, and perhaps earn some extra money before I start uni. Do uni's frown upon students taking a gap year out to travel? and how do I defer my entry to 2011 instead of 2010, if I've already applied and received some conditional offers?

ReputationRep:
    Providing you use the time productively (and preferably to the benefit of your university course) universities look very favourably on gap years for most courses (there are exceptions, such as maths, where gap years are discouraged). I'm not sure how the unis will feel about you deferring it now though - you'll have to contact them and ask.

ReputationRep:
    I strongly advise it. I'm currently on a gap year and am going travelling in about 8 weeks and am ridiculously excited At first I really regretted it, but all the people i've seen from uni have said they regret not taking a year out. And just contact the uni's who have offered you a place and explain, i'm sure it won't be an issue as you're not just gonna mooch about, remember to explain why you wanna do it and how it'll be life experience etc Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same position as you last year.

I contacted King's and they allowed me to defer, but Edinburgh (my firm) wouldn't allow me to change my year of entry. It's completely up to the university on whether they allow a gap year or refuse it.

Is it a bad thing? No, if planned correctly.

I'm on a gap year and I didn't think it through. My reason for a gap year was to raise money for London next year and thankfully I am in a secure job where I will have saved at least £8000 by the end of the year. However, it's boring and my social life is pretty much non-existent.

The amount of money I'm making is really the only think that's keeping me going. I made a resolution during New Years to put more effort into my gap year. I will never have this much free time again so I should make the most out of it. I have emailed King's and I now have a set list of preliminary reading to do. I've also spoken with my parents and we are planning on going to America for almost a month at the end of the summer. It's just an idea at the moment, but even if America doesn't happen then at least I know that we will be going abroad somewhere else before I go to King's.

Plan what you want to do and stick to it. I haven't even stuck to basic things such as my attempt to get fitter/work out more. I regret not using this time more wisely. If I could go back I would have booked something with a gap year company or picked up an additional AS in biology.

Aside from working, I've been incredibly lazy and unmotivated. Starting from tomorrow, I'm going to change though. Promise.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.