The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes."
“Once in Soho, drunk and alone, coping with the spiteful light of an Old Compton Street off-licence, I stumbled into the nocturnal camaraderie that only penniless drunks can purchase. My fleeting companion, my soul mate for that moment, was a Scottish lad, young and reeking. I told him how I missed Amanda, he told me how he missed his home. ‘My love is like a red, red rose,’ he said, all wistful about Burns. ‘That’s newly sprung in June’, I said knowingly, thinking about her. Then together, ‘My love is like a melody, that’s sweetly played in tune’. We defiantly recited Rabbie Burns’ poem, entangled arms kept us from falling. ‘Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear, and the rocks melt wi’ the Sun’. Just two more drunks serenading an indifferent world. The poem and our Brotherhood ended simultaneously and we carried on alone into the night. ‘And I will love thee still, my dear, while the sands of life shall run’. – Russell Brand (My Booky Wook)

I love this. I know it's not one that's saying 'go on, you can do it, live the dream!' or anything, but it's just beautiful. I think it just shows how beauty can exist in such small moments.
Reply 22
"A stranger is simply a friend you have yet to meet."

It's one I like to live by.
"Who dares wins"
-Motto of the SAS
Reply 24
Work to live, not live to work.

Hasn't changed me, but I remind myself of it quite alot.

EDIT: well, seeing the thread title, this is the total opposite of motivational. ha.
Reply 25
"If you can't forgive and forget, how's this: forget forgiving and just accept that that's it, 'cause that's the way it has to be so you can get on with your life and be free."
- Scroobius Pip <3
"How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood, and just be in a good mood?"
- again, Scroobius Pip (and same song aswell... :biggrin:)
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
- Gandhi
"Get off TSR and go revise!"
Reply 27
"It seems to me that those who in the right spirit lay hold on philosophy have, unnoticed by the rest of the world, been practicing nothing but dying and being dead. If then this is true surely it would be absurd that all their lives they should have this one object in front of them and then when it has come, that they ...should grieve the thing which they were so long striving and practicing" Socrates :smile:.
Reply 28
"stop ******* around at school or im gonna chuck you out"
"chaos will follow you. dont run away, embrace it"
on being offered a place at grammar school (which is a big thing in my family, the first and only to go!) my nan bought me one of those little message cards with this on...

"follow your dreams wherever they lead,
don't be distracted by less worthy needs,
shelter them, nourish them, help them to grow,
let your heart hold them down deep where dreams go.
be faithful, be loyal, then all your life through,
the dreams that you follow will keep coming true"

i can still recite it and it really helps me to keep going on the days where i just want to give up :smile:
Don't count the days, make the days count. Ali
"People forget a very logical fact; If it's not impossible, its possible."
Reply 33
The harder i work the luckier i get. :smile:
The-Real-One
Life's a b*tch, then you die.

So eff the world n let's get high! :-P
bex285
"Worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum" got me through my exams.

Did you hear that on that baz Lurhman song- Studio group "Everybody's free (to wear sunscreen)"? :smile:
Reply 36
make the most of yourself for that is all there is of you- ralph waldo emerson

we have nothing to fear but fear itself- FDR
Reply 37
Dont get bitter ... Just get better (H) -

Drizzy :yep:
“We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.” - Churchill
:smile:
"What country you from?"

Latest