Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Just been rejected from dental schools

What is the best degree to do to maximise chances to get an interview for graduate entry Dentistry?

I know Biomedical science is the usual route but is it too common?

I've been told they sometimes regard Pharmacy higher than Biomed.

I'm also on a gap year, doing re-sits, hopefully getting AAA in bio, chem and business studies and i've got 1A*, 7As and 2Bs at GCSE.

Anyone who has been in this position and can give me some advice would be very kind

Thanks,

Sara

ReputationRep:
    Regarded equally depending on the university.

ReputationRep:
    I would say it doesn't matter as long as the degree is in Biomedical Sciences discipline. Biomed as a degree has been around only for a few years at good universities and is already proving to be very popular, since you have the freedom to choose your subjects from 2nd year and can even switch degrees!
    About Pharmacy, they may actually question why you did it? Are you not committed to it? Would you stay committed to Dentistry etc?
    Don't by these 'I've heard' rumors. I am doing Biomed myself, but as long as you are predicted a 2:1 and have decent A level grades, it should be fine. Seriously consider what you will enjoy out of the options, rather than going by these rumors about one being preferable to the other!
    Do check about your retakes though, as that might be something they are a bit wary about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denthrax)
    I would say it doesn't matter as long as the degree is in Biomedical Sciences discipline. Biomed as a degree has been around only for a few years at good universities and is already proving to be very popular, since you have the freedom to choose your subjects from 2nd year and can even switch degrees!
    About Pharmacy, they may actually question why you did it? Are you not committed to it? Would you stay committed to Dentistry etc?
    Don't by these 'I've heard' rumors. I am doing Biomed myself, but as long as you are predicted a 2:1 and have decent A level grades, it should be fine. Seriously consider what you will enjoy out of the options, rather than going by these rumors about one being preferable to the other!
    Do check about your retakes though, as that might be something they are a bit wary about.
    The thing is, my sister did Biomed about 10 years ago and didn't get into medicine then which is why i'm concerned. I don't want to get rejected after a Biomed degree which isn't a vocational subject like Pharmacy is, i.e. not certain job at the end of it.

As for what they would say, surely if i've already applied to dentistry and didn't get in, then decided to do pharmacy as a back up and reapply to dentistry, wouldn't that show determination instead of lack of commitment?

As you are doing the degree, can I ask, is it really hard?! and how many of them are going to be applying to dentistry at the end of it? I bet theres a fair few!

I think I would prefer Biomed, mainly cause it will be in London and I have no interested in Pharmacy at all, but I mean if it will give me that edge over other applicants then I will do it basically!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraisthequeen)
    The thing is, my sister did Biomed about 10 years ago and didn't get into medicine then which is why i'm concerned. I don't want to get rejected after a Biomed degree which isn't a vocational subject like Pharmacy is, i.e. not certain job at the end of it.

As for what they would say, surely if i've already applied to dentistry and didn't get in, then decided to do pharmacy as a back up and reapply to dentistry, wouldn't that show determination instead of lack of commitment?

As you are doing the degree, can I ask, is it really hard?! and how many of them are going to be applying to dentistry at the end of it? I bet theres a fair few!

I think I would prefer Biomed, mainly cause it will be in London and I have no interested in Pharmacy at all, but I mean if it will give me that edge over other applicants then I will do it basically!
    What I meant about being questioned is that like Dentistry, NHS will be spending money in training you as a pharmacist so you'd have used the resources which could have been used on someone else. Pharmacy is also a 4 year vocational course, not just another degree.
    Medicine can be a bit difficult and I have my fellow students, most of whom have applied for medicine and quite a few have been rejected, not because of their degree mind you but there were other things like UKCAT and prediction.
    I know one other person but there are others in Biochemistry who have also applied. The degree is just like any other one, but it depends on the subjects you take. I took Pharmacology in 2nd year and regretted it. Now, I mainly have Physiological subjects which are a bit more preferable.
    I think you might end up spending an extra year because of Pharmacy and even then, not really have improved your chance. I think its just a box ticker as long as you have a degree, they move onto something else.
    Good luck anyway and hope you make the right choices.

ReputationRep:

Chemistry is a good degree choice, med chem is practically pharmacy but 3 years opposed to 4 and covers areas in pharmacology, biochemistry and biology too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Chemistry is a good degree choice, med chem is practically pharmacy but 3 years opposed to 4 and covers areas in pharmacology, biochemistry and biology too.
    Oh I couldn't do chemistry! I loathe the subject!! Haha
    Thanks for your advice both of you! Very much appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy is chemistry though :O
    If you're more biology inclined though I'd say Anatomy is a good one to go for :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not Psychology. It's on the list as biomed related but I think most places (rightfully) don't hold it in particularly high regard

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biomed and have applied for 2010.

ReputationRep:
    pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    anatomy or orthoptics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5piderpig)
    I'm doing Biomed and have applied for 2010.
    any luck? you in your first year? which unis you applied for and for 4 or 5 year courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hassi)
    anatomy or orthoptics
    random lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5piderpig)
    random lol
    its not bad 3 years like most courses. what is biomedical actually like because if i dont get int his year, ill have to put a back up choice in for nxt year. would you recomend it? banned ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.