Turn on thread page Beta

Mum's making things difficult, any advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Last night I went to a party, and texted my mum at midnight to tell her I wasn't coming home, and today, after I jokingly told her that she didn't need to worry anymore as I'm 18, she shouted at me that she "didn't give a s*** about me" and only wanted to know if she should have locked up or not at the time.

So this leaves me very hurt. I was already paranoid that she felt like that, she really didn't have to tell me.

Another problem of ours is my college attendance, as sometimes I'll get to college late and I wont be marked on the register, and it'll be sent home as an email.
    The email is always sent on a Tuesday, and if there is one of two lessons missed then she will not talk to me at all, except to say things like the above. She'll only talk to me at the weekends, when she wants something.

Me & my mum have always had issues, and it was never going to be a great relationship as she didn't tell me who my real father was until I was 13, instead she lied and told me it was someone else.

I'm at my wits end, if I had enough money to move out, I would. Does anyone know any way I could try to fix things to a more bearable level?

Jess xx

ReputationRep:
    You're 18, your mother is always going to worry about you, no matter what she says. If you really doubt that, sit down with her, make her a cup of coffee or something and have a proper talk. Saying 'it's alright, you don't have to worry about me any more' just probably really annoyed her if she stayed up late waiting for you to come home.

As for college, maybe she thinks that ignoring you and making you feel bad will whip your arse into gear, be bothered about turning up on time and doing well? She only wants the best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I don't know what to tell you but i guess since you're 18 - if you plan to be going to university then you get alot more independence. So i suggest you try bear it till then...I honestly am not sure what to say..i'm not sure if i helped

ReputationRep:
    Try to be more considerate to her. I'm not saying that you aren't but if you did things like sent her a text a few hours earlier or tried to get yourself to school on time then you'll probably slide into her more acceptable books. Saying that, she doesn't sound like the best mum!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly most people have some form of ‘issues’ with their parents. You could try sitting down with her and going through everything you just explained. Don’t shout just talk as usual and explain to her things. It’s usually a lack of communication that’s the problem.

If this fails and you really can’t sort things out with her, then you’re going to have to just focus on the important things like grades till you move out. Life will get better, and you can always try and amend things later on, when there’s less tension.

As for the going out rant, honestly everyone gets this, I dunno why it is but mums love to moan about late night outings, even if they are informed. I got this up until I decided to always get back home at one point or another that same night. Unless I’m going to specifically stay all night. Just gotta compromise I’m afraid.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.