Turn on thread page Beta

Interrailing, where do you think are the best European countries to visit? watch

ReputationRep:
    Going interrailing with my best friend this summer, we're 18 year old girls up for a laugh and want to see as much as possible before we go to uni in september.
    Please recommend me places to visit which are cheap and fun!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did Amsterdam - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Budapest - Split - Venice.

Thought Vienna was quite boring really so would do Braitislava instead. Venice is quite expensive, so maybe Ljubljana to keep costs low.

ReputationRep:
    Prague! There's a reason it's so popular.
    Krakow
    Ljubljana and Lake Bled
    Split
    Florence and Siena
    Barcelona
    Munich
    Berlin

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona, Rome, Ljubljana, Split, Hvar, Lake Bled, Munich, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Amsterdam.

The further East you get the cheaper it gets. Lake Bled is unmissable! You could try to take in a music festival too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TownFanJamie)
    Barcelona, Rome, Ljubljana, Split, Hvar, Lake Bled, Munich, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Amsterdam.

The further East you get the cheaper it gets. Lake Bled is unmissable! You could try to take in a music festival too.
    Thanks for you're advice

I've heard Lake Bled is amazing, my brother went and really enjoyed Slovenia but managed to get beaten up by angry Slovenians, did you find that the more Eastern countries were at all hostile..(safe for two girls?)? We were planning to do Belgium (Antwerp), Holland (Amsterdam), Germany (Berlin), Prague, Croatia and Slovenia but weren't sure about the best places, then through Northern Italy, South of France and Spain. Does that sound ambitious for a month? Do you think Krakow is really worth visiting? and sorry one more question!! Could you recommend any decent festivals cause we were hoping to go to one or two!
    Thanks, Lucie xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm thinking of going interrailing this summer as well.. anyone have any idea of the cost? I mean a month is a long time, so I'm guessing it really adds up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria91)
    Hi I'm thinking of going interrailing this summer as well.. anyone have any idea of the cost? I mean a month is a long time, so I'm guessing it really adds up.
    Obviously I haven't been, but I know the ticket for a month is about £350 I think, then I worked out that on average hostels per night are around 20 euros (most basic)..so that times 30... 600euros (£500 at a guess!)..spending and food etc..I'm planning on trying to save around £1500. It'll be worth it though for the amount of stuff you'll see I think and definately need a good hol before uni! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Obviously I haven't been, but I know the ticket for a month is about £350 I think, then I worked out that on average hostels per night are around 20 euros (most basic)..so that times 30... 600euros (£500 at a guess!)..spending and food etc..I'm planning on trying to save around £1500. It'll be worth it though for the amount of stuff you'll see I think and definitely need a good hol before uni! xx
    I know, it would be totally worth it. I really want to go! Anyway, my sort of problem is that I'm planning to go with a guy. We're really good friends and have known each other for like 6 or 7 years. At one point I had feelings for him, but not anymore. I now have a boyfriend of over two years, he doesn't want to go interrailing, and all my other female friends have already gone or won't be able to go, and I gave up. But then my guy friend told me he really wanted to go interrailing, so we decided to go together. I would never cheat on my boyfriend and he trusts me, but I'm just wondering do you guys find it weird? We're really good friends and I don't have feelings for him, but all I'm worried about is we'll probably have to share a room the whole time and I don't want my boyfriend to feel uncomfortable. Am I being a ***** if I go with my guy friend? My boyfriend and him are also good friends, so it's not like I'm going with someone random my boyfriend doesn't know.. Haha sorry for the long post!

ReputationRep:
    I know, it would be totally worth it. I really want to go! Anyway, my sort of problem is that I'm planning to go with a guy. We're really good friends and have known each other for like 6 or 7 years. At one point I had feelings for him, but not anymore. I now have a boyfriend of over two years, he doesn't want to go interrailing, and all my other female friends have already gone or won't be able to go, and I gave up. But then my guy friend told me he really wanted to go interrailing, so we decided to go together. I would never cheat on my boyfriend and he trusts me, but I'm just wondering do you guys find it weird? We're really good friends and I don't have feelings for him, but all I'm worried about is we'll probably have to share a room the whole time and I don't want my boyfriend to feel uncomfortable. Am I being a ***** if I go with my guy friend? My boyfriend and him are also good friends, so it's not like I'm going with someone random my boyfriend doesn't know.. Haha sorry for the long post!
    I don't think that would be bad, I suppose you'd feel quite safe as well having a guy with you. When you're out there you're bound to spend most of your time with other people you meet as well, and I guess when you stay in hostels you'll be in dorms with loads of other people. You're not being a ***** though, not like you're choosing him over your boyfriend who wants to go so don't worry.
    One thing I'd say though is do you think you can put up with him for a month? My brother went with a girl a couple of years ago, they were mates but she got so pissed off with his stupidity and general unorganised ways that she ended up getting a flight home after a couple of weeks! xx

ReputationRep:
    Man, there's so many European countries I'd love to go to! Not all of them would be available to get to by train, though - my full list would be;

Ireland

The Scandinavian countries - the Faroes, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland & Denmark

The Baltic countries - Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania

Eastern European countries - Poland, Croatia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia, Albania

Central European countries - Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Lichtenstein, Germany, Austria

Western European countries - Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Monaco, Spain (including Gibraltar), Portugal, Italy, San Marino, the Vatican City

Other countries - Greece, Turkey, Malta

I'll have to save up for a hell of a long time to be able to afford to go to all those countries in one go though, and be able to spend about 18 months doing it! (Sorry OP, not strictly relevant I suppose, but your thread got me thinking, and I've wondered for a while now what countries I'd go to if I did a big trip around Europe!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)

I'll have to save up for a hell of a long time to be able to afford to go to all those countries in one go though, and be able to spend about 18 months doing it! (Sorry OP, not strictly relevant I suppose, but your thread got me thinking, and I've wondered for a while now what countries I'd go to if I did a big trip around Europe!)
    Haha no problem, thanks for responding, I think you've named most European countries though so it could take a while! I stupidly said to my Dad that I was going to include Iceland in my travels, he informed Iceland is an island haha.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that would be bad, I suppose you'd feel quite safe as well having a guy with you. When you're out there you're bound to spend most of your time with other people you meet as well, and I guess when you stay in hostels you'll be in dorms with loads of other people. You're not being a ***** though, not like you're choosing him over your boyfriend who wants to go so don't worry.
    One thing I'd say though is do you think you can put up with him for a month? My brother went with a girl a couple of years ago, they were mates but she got so pissed off with his stupidity and general unorganised ways that she ended up getting a flight home after a couple of weeks! xx
    Haha thanks for your advice. I REALLY want to go but I just don't want my boyfriend to be upset for the whole month, I'll figure it out . And I hadn't thought about that, but yeah of course you meet loads of other people. Haha that's true, but we've decided we want to be spontaneous about it, like have a general outline but still just go where we feel like or just do the whole 'jump on the next train' kind of thing. But yeah, I need to think about that too

And to the other person, Finland isn't in scandinavia!!

ReputationRep:
    And to the other person, Finland isn't in scandinavia!!
    Says who?

ReputationRep:
    Haha no problem, thanks for responding, I think you've named most European countries though so it could take a while! I stupidly said to my Dad that I was going to include Iceland in my travels, he informed Iceland is an island haha.
    :lol:

Yeah, I know it's most of them - just a couple like Slovenia and Slovakia which I don't really know anything about so don't know if I'd want to visit them or not. I'd like to visit most countries in the world, to be honest (Bar Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Pakistan & other countries where there's a lot of fighting/terrorism...)

ReputationRep:
    Says who?
    I'm Danish And technically it isn't. Finland and Iceland are part of the nordic countries, but scandinavia is made up of Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

But if you ever get a chance you should definitely go to Norway, it has really beautiful landscape.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Danish And technically it isn't. Finland and Iceland are part of the nordic countries, but scandinavia is made up of Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

But if you ever get a chance you should definitely go to Norway, it has really beautiful landscape.
    Technically I suppose not then, but to the majority of people in this country, Scandinavia = Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark. I thought the Faroes would be included too, since the people there are descended from Norsemen & speak Scandinavian languages (Faroese, Danish)? Norway, Denmark and Sweden are part of the Nordic countries too surely? Afterall, the Vikings or Norsemen came to Britain from Norway...

Yes, I definitely do want to go to Norway at some point, I'd really like to explore pretty much the whole country tbh! Heard it's very expensive though.

ReputationRep:
    Technically I suppose not then, but to the majority of people in this country, Scandinavia = Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark. I thought the Faroes would be included too, since the people there are descended from Norsemen & speak Scandinavian languages (Faroese, Danish)? Norway, Denmark and Sweden are part of the Nordic countries too surely? Afterall, the Vikings or Norsemen came to Britain from Norway...

Yes, I definitely do want to go to Norway at some point, I'd really like to explore pretty much the whole country tbh! Heard it's very expensive though.
    It's just a sort of internal national joke I suppose... just like how Denmark 'hates' Sweden, and Denmark and Sweden are Norway's 'big brothers'. If you live in Scandinavia you wouldn't consider Finland or Iceland a part of it. It is probably just like someone saying Ireland is a part of the UK Yeah Norway, Denmark and Sweden are all part of the Nordic countries as well.

Norway is incredibly expensive, even more so then Denmark. If you ever go you should definitely go to northern Norway during the summer, when the sun never sets.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in Scandinavia you wouldn't consider Finland or Iceland a part of it.

Norway is incredibly expensive, even more so then Denmark. If you ever go you should definitely go to northern Norway during the summer, when the sun never sets.
    But I thought Norway, Sweden and Finland all shared a similar cultural/traditional background - for example the Sami peoples spread across Norwegian, Swedish & Finnish Lapland? To be honest it's Denmark that always seemed different from the rest to me, not Finland. What is it that separates Scandinavia from the Baltic countries?

I'd love to visit Norway in the summer, but also in the winter too!

ReputationRep:
    But I thought Norway, Sweden and Finland all shared a similar cultural/traditional background - for example the Sami peoples spread across Norwegian, Swedish & Finnish Lapland? To be honest it's Denmark that always seemed different from the rest to me, not Finland. What is it that separates Scandinavia from the Baltic countries?

I'd love to visit Norway in the summer, but also in the winter too!
    Denmark, Norway and Sweden have very similar languages. Basically if you speak one of them, you can understand the other two. Written Norwegian and Danish is almost exactly the same. Finish is a completely different language. I suppose they do have the Sami people in common, but the Sami people are a minority and they too have a completely different language that is nothing like the Scandinavian languages. I guess that's the major similarity. Also culturally, they are all three quite similar. I don't know much about Finland really. And what separates Scandinavia from the Baltic countries is probably language and culture.. but I don't know much about the Baltic countries either

ReputationRep:
    Denmark, Norway and Sweden have very similar languages. Basically if you speak one of them, you can understand the other two. Written Norwegian and Danish is almost exactly the same. Finish is a completely different language. I suppose they do have the Sami people in common, but the Sami people are a minority and they too have a completely different language that is nothing like the Scandinavian languages. I guess that's the major similarity. Also culturally, they are all three quite similar. I don't know much about Finland really. And what separates Scandinavia from the Baltic countries is probably language and culture.. but I don't know much about the Baltic countries either
    There is no concrete fixed definition of Scandinavian/Skandinavien despite what some rikssvenskar, Norwegians and Danes might think. Plenty of Finns would also include Finland in Scandinavia and plenty of others would not. Don't forget that Swedish is also spoken in Finland. Finland is not a unilingual Finnish-speaking country so it's not quite as simple to say "Finland is not Scandinavia because they don't speak a Scandinavian language"; nearly 300 000 Finns do (Swedish - as their mother tongue... and then, of course, many of the Finnish-speakers can hold a conversation in it as they have learnt it at school). Just as the French-language and French culture does not end at the borders of France, neither does the Swedish.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.