Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interrailing, where do you think are the best European countries to visit? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumintroll)
    There is no concrete fixed definition of Scandinavian/Skandinavien despite what some rikssvenskar, Norwegians and Danes might think. Plenty of Finns would also include Finland in Scandinavia and plenty of others would not. Don't forget that Swedish is also spoken in Finland. Finland is not a unilingual Finnish-speaking country so it's not quite as simple to say "Finland is not Scandinavia because they don't speak a Scandinavian language"; nearly 300 000 Finns do (Swedish - as their mother tongue... and then, of course, many of the Finnish-speakers can hold a conversation in it as they have learnt it at school). Just as the French-language and French culture does not end at the borders of France, neither does the Swedish.
    I never said anything about Finland not being Scandinavia BECAUSE it has a different language, I was just explaining that that is why Denmark is so close to Norway and Sweden, because the other poster said she always felt that Denmark was the one that didn't fit in. That may be so, but as a half Dane/half Norwegian, I have been raised in a society where 'Scandinavia' is Sweden, Denmark and Norway, and where even though Finland is sometimes included, it isn't technically a 'Scandinavian' country. I'm aware that it's not really black and white, and people seem to have different opinions on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Paris, Interlaken, Gimmelwald, Venice, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Krakow, Berlin, Amsterdam, Prague and Cologne and I'd recommend them all.

Definitely go to Switzerland, it isn't as expensive as people make out. Stay at Balmers in Interlaken, it's got its own nightclub in the basement and we met some amazing people there. Gimmelwald is a little village up in the mountains, you can only get there by cable car, it's the most gorgeous place I've ever seen. Stay at the Mountain Hostel if you go, you won't be dissapointed!

Budapest is huuuge so spend a few days there, definitely spend the day at one of the baths, so much fun

We went to Amsterdam last and didn't have much money, definitely do it first or save your money, its really cool but drinks are super expensive.

Cologne is worth going to just for the cathedral.

I've also heard good things about Cinque Terre in Italy, Innsbruck in Austria, and Ljubljana and Lake Bled in Slovenia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria91)
    I never said anything about Finland not being Scandinavia BECAUSE it has a different language, I was just explaining that that is why Denmark is so close to Norway and Sweden, because the other poster said she always felt that Denmark was the one that didn't fit in. That may be so, but as a half Dane/half Norwegian, I have been raised in a society where 'Scandinavia' is Sweden, Denmark and Norway, and where even though Finland is sometimes included, it isn't technically a 'Scandinavian' country. I'm aware that it's not really black and white, and people seem to have different opinions on the matter.
    Haha that's cool. It's just, as you say, not black and white and statements such as "If you live in Scandinavia you wouldn't consider Finland or Iceland a part of it" can be pretty irritating for anyone even remotely connected to Svenskfinland.

ReputationRep:
    Central and Eastern Europe is cheaper than the West and has loads of awesome places to see, my favourite being Slovakia.
    Having said that, Barcelona, Bilbao, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Ghent and Bruges are all awesome if you want to hit the West.

ReputationRep:
    North coast of Spain is a good route.

ReputationRep:
    Berlin was my favourite! Unmissable, it is such an awesome city. Ljubljana/Bled = beautiful and really worth a visit. Budapest is cool too and nice and cheap

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on interrailing this summer on my own it saves any worry about what people you leave at home think lol. I am a bit worried and reading up on the website it sounds a bit confusing and I'm finding it hard to make any headway at all regarding making plans and routes to follow. Has anyone else found this? Advice please !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpeake)
    I'm planning on interrailing this summer on my own it saves any worry about what people you leave at home think lol. I am a bit worried and reading up on the website it sounds a bit confusing and I'm finding it hard to make any headway at all regarding making plans and routes to follow. Has anyone else found this? Advice please !
    I'd say take a step back and just think to yourself which places have you always wanted to go to before? Also read up a bit in Europe guidebooks about other places you might want to go to (or just type a country and 'lonely planet' into Google and read what comes up.) Once you've got a list of places, then go on the site and see if there's an option which makes you able to go to as many of your list as possible (and maybe other places as well which you may not have heard of before but look like they might be interesting to explore...)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice

So far after doing a bit more legwork i have decided to start in London, hop on the eurostar to paris and from there take a slowish journey to barcelona. Then from Barcelona on the ferry to Rome and from Rome up to Milan via train. Spending a few nights in each city to get the experience. From there I hope to make my way up to czech republic, austria, amsterdam, germany and then back to paris to return home but ive not quite figured that part out yet. lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice

So far after doing a bit more legwork i have decided to start in London, hop on the eurostar to paris and from there take a slowish journey to barcelona. Then from Barcelona on the ferry to Rome and from Rome up to Milan via train. Spending a few nights in each city to get the experience. From there I hope to make my way up to czech republic, austria, amsterdam, germany and then back to paris to return home but ive not quite figured that part out yet. lol
    Sounds like a good plan so far, though how much time will you have? You've missed out several places I'd personally go to - Lisbon, Seville, Madrid, Venice, Budapest (Hungary), Dubrovnik and a couple of other places in Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Greece, Istanbul, Wroclaw & Krakow (Poland), Vilnius (Lithuania), Riga (Latvia), Tailinn (Estonia), Copenhagen, Bruges... Totally depends on how much time and money you have of course, what with your original places! Another thing is, is it only the cities you want to go to - many of these countries have stunning national parks, opportunities for adventure sports, historic little towns, brilliant beaches etc., that you can access by bus or train from the cities.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice

I think you have made great starter plans =)
    Maybe between the 13hrish journey to Barcelona from Paris you could stop off somewhere mid France, add in a random day here and there, make the most of all your time, spend a few days in the places that you really want to visit and just one in other places. It could give you a more full experience. How long are you going for?

I went last summer, I'm thinking of going this time aswell =)

I'm guessing you have looked at this but if not....
    http://hafas.bene-system.com/bin/que...profi&OK#focus
    Pretty much the most helpful thing ever! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Obviously I haven't been, but I know the ticket for a month is about £350 I think, then I worked out that on average hostels per night are around 20 euros (most basic)..so that times 30... 600euros (£500 at a guess!)..spending and food etc..I'm planning on trying to save around £1500. It'll be worth it though for the amount of stuff you'll see I think and definitely need a good hol before uni! xx
    I spent just under £1500 (incl. flights to and from) in 26 days in South East Europe. Started in Greece and reached as far north as Slovenia covering Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro and Croatia. Give us a shout if you have any questions on them x

(Also the year before did Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, Luxembourg and Paris)

ReputationRep:
    can you go interrailing in the winter season? 8-) iv just been reading some stuff and thinking when i get back from my summer season i might give it a try! :lol: it would need to be cheap though.. very! lol Advice please

EDIT: What does it mean by a 3 day in 1 month pass?

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea to plan exactly where you want to go, and book all the hostels etc...or just buy the ticket and go where ever you feel like going day by day, as I am afraid that I will spend too long in some places, not enough in others etc.. Although obviously not planning ahead would be much more expensive, right?

ReputationRep:
    I think i was getting a bit carried away and just got excited about general plans. It dawned on me that 22 days is actually a lot longer then i first thought so i am thinking of spending more time in spain and italy and perhaps seeinga bit more of a contrast between the different regions in both countries. Budapest is definitly a must ive heard so much about and and prague is somewhere else i have on my defo list too. Ive started saving allready im going to save up a majority of my wages each month to put away especially as im planning on quitting my job lol. Im thinking £2000 all together which included my ticket so more like £1750? Will that be enough?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.