Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Howya folks!
    I've been called for an interview for the PGCE (Secondary Teaching) in Aberystwyth some time at the end of this month (possibly next month). I was just curious as to what the PGCE is like.
    First off, as anyone received any dates yet for their interview? I emailed on the 7th of January last and they said with the weather, schools being closed etc... that weren't able to set a date just yet and that it'll be some time at the end of this month or February, is this normal? Is anyone else in the same boat?
    I've a 1st class honours BA in Geography from UCD and I'm doing an MSc in Environmental Science in TCD, so how will this go down with my application?
    Anyone know any readings that might be useful for the interview, is there anything on the Welsh education system that I need to know?
    I've heard that some people have been asked to present a topic to the interview panel, I was just wondering has anyone here had to do this? Do I need to bring over my leaving cert results (Irish equivalent of the A-Levels), university transcripts, degree certificate etc...?
    What will I need to have on me really for the interview?
    What kinds of questions am I expected to be asked?
    Finally, what is the PGCE like? I didn't really enjoy my degree that much and my masters isn't much better either, so is this an enjoyable course? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm pretty nervous about it and I'm not quite sure what to expect. Just any information would be great and I would really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    hey ive got an interview for aberystwyth too in History! its on the 17th February!!! I like you need help as to what the interview will be like!! im so nervous!! have u got much experience?? im from northern ireland btw! how are u planning to get there for interview? i dont know whether to go by boat or get plane to birmingham!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenportis)
    hey ive got an interview for aberystwyth too in History! its on the 17th February!!! I like you need help as to what the interview will be like!! im so nervous!! have u got much experience?? im from northern ireland btw! how are u planning to get there for interview? i dont know whether to go by boat or get plane to birmingham!!!
    That's class, I'll probably see you over there so! My experience is that I used to teach undergrads in my degree, I used to give tutorials to groups of about 6-15 on stuff that I was learning at the same time. I've also marked essay papers in Geography, I've given grinds to postgrads as well (mainly Jurisprudence and environmental management). I worked as an activity leader for two summers, in Ireland and in London, that was essentially bringing kids around on tours etc... Other than that I haven't been in a class room with teenagers since the leaving cert!
    Here, pm me your email address, cos a friend of mine on the course I'm doing now gave me some interview tips she used for her interview for Aber. I more nervous about the interview itself and I'm not sure what to expect!
    That's mad, you're from the North and I'm from the South!
    I was thinking of getting the plane to Birmingham, and getting the train to Aber. The flights are piss cheap with Ryan Air and Aer Lingus (something like £30 return to Birmingham, but the train could be pricey).
    The ferry goes from Rosslare Europort, so you'd have to get the enterprise to Connolly, then from Connolly get the train to Rosslare Europort and then boat it across to Fishgaurd, it's slower than the flights but cheaper I think, cos once you're in Fishgaurd it's 2 buses and you're in Aber.
    That's mad, you're doing History, cos I'm hoping to do that as my option subject!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.